Rd 18 - Carlton v Gold Coast - Sat 20th July 2:10pm(EST) @ Marvel - Updated Team Post #509

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, we have absolutely zero track record of winning games that we are supposed to.

Indeed, and it has been an eternity since we have won twice in a row, regardless of the opponent. Huge test of the players' mental resolve this week.

We must continue to play with the attitude that we are the hunter/aggressor.

Last edited:
Daughters birthday Sunday, she wasn't interested in going to the footy for her birthday......bummer.

Expecting us to turn up ready to play but in the back of my mind I can also see us turn up as if we are playing AFLX (rolling in on a skateboard and in outlandish suits and arrogant mindset) and get beaten

Going to be extremely disappointing if GC get over the top of us this week.

They've got some pretty significant outs - Ainsworth, Bowes, Martin, Young, Thompson, Powell, Holman, Collins, Ah Chee, Wigg - and the only possible inclusion I think that helps them is Peter Wright.

They're coming off two games where they got categorically carved up early, and only came back late with some junk time scores when the opposition took their foot off. Dew will continue to play the "they're all laughing at us" card in an effort to get an emotional response from his players. We absolutely cannot afford to give them a sniff early, as the sense of being "in the game" could well be all they need to fire up properly. Start fast, create a strong lead by quarter time, and watch them wither away again.

We've almost broken the anchor chain for the spoon. Win this one and win it well and that chain goes snap for the year and there's a collective groan from all the crowing crows in this neck of the woods.

Almost clear air folks. We've got to start pretty darn solid favourties here. My slight fear is that GC come out swinging before finally going down for good. There'll be a flurry of attacks from this mob from the get go. If we can swat that away and stay focused for the remainder it's all over.

We've been here before and we got stung. I hope Teague raises that point and 'that' game when we strolled out thinking it was a fait accompli. We're still a bottom side. We still have to fight and scrap for every morsel. But put this one to bed and we'll all breathe a little easier.

This is ALL about the first quarter. Attack them from the get go but be prepared for the footy Gods to throw us a few curve balls. I look at he Lions on the weekend. Made the Power look very average indeed. The 'pear' didn't know what hit 'em. A huge lesson in that. Be ready boys. No easy games.

Bring the swans workman like clearance work and we should account for them to the tune of 4-5 goals.
Go you baggers!

This will be an easy win for us. Why are so many here worried about this game? It’s the suns...they have been pathetic and we have been very good in recent weeks...doesn’t matter what happened earlier in year and previous years. Things are different now.
Because of recent history!! How many times have we had good performances against top sides one week and gone into a game against someone like the Suns expecting a good win only to have the boys not turn up. A win here will be a very positive sign of maturity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be an easy win for us. Why are so many here worried about this game? It’s the suns...they have been pathetic and we have been very good in recent weeks...doesn’t matter what happened earlier in year and previous years. Things are different now.
we're 17th. there's no such thing as an easy win for us. i'm sure teauge has already said that 100 times this week and it's only monday

The first 15 min will be huge. You’d hope GC will be revved up. If we don’t come out equal to that, and they get some early goals, confidence is such a big thing, even if we are better on paper they may play one of those games.

Match that so they can’t get that confidence they may sink into patterns of the last two weeks & we could get a big win.

They have absolutely nothing to lose, we have.

Going to be extremely disappointing if GC get over the top of us this week.

They've got some pretty significant outs - Ainsworth, Bowes, Martin, Young, Thompson, Powell, Holman, Collins, Ah Chee, Wigg - and the only possible inclusion I think that helps them is Peter Wright.

They're coming off two games where they got categorically carved up early, and only came back late with some junk time scores when the opposition took their foot off. Dew will continue to play the "they're all laughing at us" card in an effort to get an emotional response from his players. We absolutely cannot afford to give them a sniff early, as the sense of being "in the game" could well be all they need to fire up properly. Start fast, create a strong lead by quarter time, and watch them wither away again.
Seem to remember last year they beat Norf in the worst wet conditions seen in a decade at Cairns. They had to get on a plane back to the Gold Coast, spend the week recovering, get on a plane come down here, where they completely toyed with us.
Let's smash them by 90-100 points. Just come out and look for a percentage boost... Want to push those imposters Melbourne further down the ladder.

We are 17th, playing a team who has already beaten us, and conditioned by years of following a basket case of a club to expect the worst, particularly just when things are looking more positive. Also a bad history at Marvel Stadium (strangely improved recently though) and a history of bad losses late in the year when a win would allow us to avoid the spoon. So yeah, plenty of history weighing on fans...

One thing I think we could definitely agree on is that had we not sacked Bolton already, this would have been the week it happened.

We should win this game and it is sheer joy to be heavy favourites for once and a very good chance to have 2 consecutive wins (and 4 from 6).

We are 17th, playing a team who has already beaten us, and conditioned by years of following a basket case of a club to expect the worst, particularly just when things are looking more positive. Also a bad history at Marvel Stadium (strangely improved recently though) and a history of bad losses late in the year when a win would allow us to avoid the spoon. So yeah, plenty of history weighing on fans...

One thing I think we could definitely agree on is that had we not sacked Bolton already, this would have been the week it happened.

We should win this game and it is sheer joy to be heavy favourites for once and a very good chance to have 2 consecutive wins (and 4 from 6).
Its the new strategy that Teague is using re experienced players around the ball and our super competitiveness and their sh*teness over the last 5 weeks or so that makes me feel very confident.

I keep thinking keep lang in and give him another chance against a weaker opponent ..and then i flashback to that missed tackle on Jones that cost us a goal .

This missed tackle is one thing but he has just 24 possessions in 3 games so far this year plus 7 tackles and 1 goal - those stats should be what we are expecting from him per game.

Throw in the fact his last 4 games of 2018 averaged 12.5 possessions, 0.25 goals and 2.75 tackles and after 6 yers in the system he has had more than enough chances. Cuningham comes in or if he doesn't come up I'd give DeLuca a go (I'd even go Garlett after his recent form).

I reckon they will give lang another week (3 week block) so I think they will either give cuningham another week to recover or they'll drop another player to make way for cunners.
What does giving Lang another week prove? At best he can show that he is a good player against the Suns - woo hoo.

He has had enough chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back