Rd 18 - Carlton v Gold Coast - Sat 20th July 2:10pm(EST) @ Marvel - Updated Team Post #509

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be an easy win for us. Why are so many here worried about this game? It’s the suns...they have been pathetic and we have been very good in recent weeks...doesn’t matter what happened earlier in year and previous years. Things are different now.

Look back a fortnight to our game against Melbourne.

They've been awful all year, they were awful against us, they were missing the competition's best ruckman....and we just jogged around for three quarters before making a last ditch effort to close down a 5 goal deficit in the final quarter - and failed. We should have beaten them to the tune of 4 goals.

That's the concern this game - we should win, and therefore, will the players come out expecting it to happen, or will they come out knowing they need to make sure it happens.

Weitering (if able) in for Goddard (injured) - really liked what Goddard brought in the 1st half before he was injured, so hope we get to see more of that
Stocker in for Dow (injured) - reckon the headknock is a good excuse to give Dow a week to recover and get over soreness. Give Stocker a run on ball
Cunningham in for Lang

We will see how far we've come a long; playing with expectations to win (and win comfortably). Hasn't bode well in the past with these group of players / leaders.

They've been awful all year, they were awful against us, they were missing the competition's best ruckman....and we just jogged around for three quarters before making a last ditch effort to close down a 5 goal deficit in the final quarter - and failed. We should have beaten them to the tune of 4 goals.

That's the concern this game - we should win, and therefore, will the players come out expecting it to happen, or will they come out knowing they need to make sure it happens.

Yeah we really should have beaten Melbourne...they were poor and copped 3 in-game injuries.
Scoreboard in the end flattered us.

We'd be on 20 points if we'd won and a game clear of Melbourne, and only 1 game behind St Kilda & Sydney had we won.

Though on the flip side the Freo & Sydney wins were very impressive and we could have easily dropped either of those games with 1 rotation down.

Understand your point though that we have to come into the game with the right mindset and get it done...a loss here would seriously hurt Teague's chances.

Weitering (if able) in for Goddard (injured) - really liked what Goddard brought in the 1st half before he was injured, so hope we get to see more of that
Stocker in for Dow (injured) - reckon the headknock is a good excuse to give Dow a week to recover and get over soreness. Give Stocker a run on ball
Cunningham in for Lang

I don't see Stocker as an automatic in coming back from an injury. Would much prefer he play VFL. He also doesn't play the same position as Dow.

If Dow was to be dropped/managed, i'd replace him with Cunners and keep Lang in the team. Lang didn't do a whole lot but he did make a contribution and i want to play a more mature line up.

We were missing the competitions best inside mid and our 2 leading goal kickers for the year.

As for Melbourne being awful all year, in the 4 games leading up to our game they lost to the Crows by 2 points (having had 8 more scoring shots) & Beat Freo by 14 while losing to the Pies 15.8 to 7.15 not exactly the same as the Suns 4 point loss to the Saints, 42 point loss to the Swans, 92 point loss to the Tigers and 95 point loss to the Crows.

Lang being terrible is the only reason Dow won't be dropped, but this has to be the last chance for Dow. He has been a passenger for the past month.
utter garbage

We were missing the competitions best inside mid and our 2 leading goal kickers for the year.

As for Melbourne being awful all year, in the 4 games leading up to our game they lost to the Crows by 2 points (having had 8 more scoring shots) & Beat Freo by 14 while losing to the Pies 15.8 to 7.15 not exactly the same as the Suns 4 point loss to the Saints, 42 point loss to the Swans, 92 point loss to the Tigers and 95 point loss to the Crows.

Rellies are Melbourne members, I watch plenty of their games - they've been rubbish. Gold Coast have been worse, sure, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that if we'd played even 2-3 quarters of decent footy against them we'd have torched them. We didn't, we were worse than they were for three quarters and left our charge far too late.

And yes, that was missing some of our key players too.

The point is - we all went into that game with high hopes, thinking a win was likely, and the boys didn't turn up. This week's game needs to be different.

At least the roof will be closed. That should help. Every time I see a game playing during the day at Marvel Solarium I usually find something else to do.
so what will I do with these return flights, 2 nights accomodation, restaurant bookings and medallion club tickets I was about to send over to you?

Rellies are Melbourne members, I watch plenty of their games - they've been rubbish. Gold Coast have been worse, sure, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that if we'd played even 2-3 quarters of decent footy against them we'd have torched them. We didn't, we were worse than they were for three quarters and left our charge far too late.

And yes, that was missing some of our key players too.

The point is - we all went into that game with high hopes, thinking a win was likely, and the boys didn't turn up. This week's game needs to be different.

I didn't go in with high hopes at all, I said at the time the Dee's being one of the best clearance sides in the league (they were second at the time) was a real concern especially without Cripps. I never felt it was a game we "should" win. We "should" win this week, and that scares me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone suggested to me today that it may be a good idea to bring Garlett in, under Teague.

I think this is a very good idea.
He's someone that has been largely forgotten but given the new freedom afforded to players, would it hurt having Garlett play forward?
I'd be happy for him to be given this opportunity now, ahead of Lang, Polson and even Gibbons if he was to play solely forward.

The gain could be higher than any possible loss and there aren't many weeks left for a few to show something.

Someone suggested to me today that it may be a good idea to bring Garlett in, under Teague.

I think this is a very good idea.
He's someone that has been largely forgotten but given the new freedom afforded to players, would it hurt having Garlett play forward?
I'd be happy for him to be given this opportunity now, ahead of Lang, Polson and even Gibbons if he was to play solely forward.

The gain could be higher than any possible loss and there aren't many weeks left for a few to show something.

Cunners would be higher on my list of possible inclusions, but I think you're right that it would be beneficial to see how Garlett went in the "new look" Carlton forward line under Teague. Has added some versatility to his game as well, so could be shuffled back or to a wing as required which isn't a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back