Preview Rd 18 - Fremantle v Geelong - Thu July 15, 8:10PM at OS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOT

Carlton's ratio last week was 0.5 (Scores/i50s). Only the Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane losses yielded a higher ratio than that this year. The average with Dahlhaus in the team this year is 0.42. With Dahlhaus out it jumps to 0.49.
I think you are looking at the wrong end for Dahlhaus' influence. Here are our numbers in his games (opposition, our scoring shots per i50, our goals per i50):
Ade, 2, 4
Bris, 2.24, 3.92
Haw, 2.79, 5.3
Melb, 3.33, 5.56
NM, 2.37, 6.4
WCE, 1.77, 2.62
Syd, 2.32, 5.42
Rich, 1.77, 2.89
GCS, 2.95, 4.43
Pies, 2, 5.25
Port, 1.93, 3.06
WB, 2.3, 4.42
Bris, 3.33, 7.14
Ess, 1.96, 3.0
AVG, 2.36, 4.53

Without Dahlhaus:
STK, 2.5, 4.5
Carl, 2.8, 5.6
AVG, 2.65, 5.05

So we are more efficient with Dahl in the side.

The sample size and number of variables at the team level mean that you would be clutching at straws to draw conclusions based on the numbers alone, though. The people that matter would judge his performances based on the opposition on the day, I'd imagine.

Another stat that I thought might be more relevant is opposition rebound 50's:
With Dahl
Ade 37
Bris 33
Haw 39
Melb 41
NM 52
WCE 33
Syd 48
Rich 36
GCS 46
Pies 33
Port 35
WB 40
Bris 43
Ess 30
AVG 39

Without Dahl
STK 35
Carl 46
AVG 40.5

Again better at locking it in our f50 with Dahl than without, but you can't really tell from the sample size.

Ok thank you for looking at that.

so he does make a difference albeit not a huge one.

I floated a theory about him earlier in the year that the staff and MC obviously have a role assigned for him that they believe more often than not he performs, we certainly look quicker in the back 50 when he is there. Henderson more than justifies his spot but he’s slow, Stewart does what he does but he’s not electric, and Henry likewise. I don’t mind having a player there who if nothing else can provide a body near a contest or a free player and at least impart some perceived pressure
I'm with you on the theory. His role doesn't seem to be the traditional forward pressure type player who can often get goals with the weight of pressure, crumbling or just chaos ground balls. He pressures up the field a lot in the other direction. Doesn't get him many goals but opens space for our forwards as well our creative back line players to hit up targets. Whether another player could perform the role just as well is open to debate I guess. It's important though to acknowledge the roles that players are given and how they work for the team as a whole.

While I wouldn't discount the direction you're taking as I agree with it, I would point out that Dahlhaus has missed so few games that the data probably isn't that meaningful
True. Just responding to Phatboys question without really taking any angle with it. I do notice though that his pressure work seems designed as much to create space for our backline as to lock it in our forwardline.

Ok thank you for looking at that.

so he does make a difference albeit not a huge one.

I floated a theory about him earlier in the year that the staff and MC obviously have a role assigned for him that they believe more often than not he performs, we certainly look quicker in the back 50 when he is there. Henderson more than justifies his spot but he’s slow, Stewart does what he does but he’s not electric, and Henry likewise. I don’t mind having a player there who if nothing else can provide a body near a contest or a free player and at least impart some perceived pressure
Its a bit rough to put the performance of an entire forward line squarely at the feet of one player, I would say - which is why I cautioned about drawing a conclusion in my previous post. The slight improvement may be the net result of the other 5 forwards having terrible defensive games and 1 player having a blinder, all of them being average, or a few shockers and the rest generally good efforts. During this period we have rotated a few stop gap players into the forward mix and it is probably the one group we have had the most disruption through injury.

giphy.gif

tenor[1].gif

Without Dahlhaus:
STK, 2.5, 4.5
Carl, 2.8, 5.6
AVG, 2.65, 5.05

Without Dahl
STK 35
Carl 46
AVG 40.5

Again better at locking it in our f50 with Dahl than without, but you can't really tell from the sample size.
Small sample size. I suggest to get a bigger sample size we leave Dahl out for say...oh....from now to the end of Finals. :p

Modern day football hey a guy does not get a kick but he is so important to the sides structure being a witches hat, Who say's you need talent to play AFL

Fair enough for posters here to attack what they deem to be Dahl's middling efforts this season. But to suggest he doesn't have sufficient talent to play in the AFL is just fanciful in my view.

He's played over 200 games at the level, an achievement that less than 5% of players have managed in the history of the game. He's into his eleventh season at the elite level, having played in two GF's already in his career and won a flag during his time at the Dogs.

All very well for posters to suggest they're displeased with what he now brings to the team, despite the fact that those closest at the club clearly see it differently. Don't see that it's necessary to denigrate him to the point where it's suggested that it's some sort of miracle that he's ever got a game, though.

I think you are looking at the wrong end for Dahlhaus' influence. Here are our numbers in his games (opposition, our scoring shots per i50, our goals per i50):
Ade, 2, 4
Bris, 2.24, 3.92
Haw, 2.79, 5.3
Melb, 3.33, 5.56
NM, 2.37, 6.4
WCE, 1.77, 2.62
Syd, 2.32, 5.42
Rich, 1.77, 2.89
GCS, 2.95, 4.43
Pies, 2, 5.25
Port, 1.93, 3.06
WB, 2.3, 4.42
Bris, 3.33, 7.14
Ess, 1.96, 3.0
AVG, 2.36, 4.53

Without Dahlhaus:
STK, 2.5, 4.5
Carl, 2.8, 5.6
AVG, 2.65, 5.05

The sample size and number of variables at the team level mean that you would be clutching at straws to draw conclusions based on the numbers alone, though. The people that matter would judge his performances based on the opposition on the day, I'd imagine.

With Dahl
Ade 37
Bris 33
Haw 39
Melb 41
NM 52
WCE 33
Syd 48
Rich 36
GCS 46
Pies 33
Port 35
WB 40
Bris 43
Ess 30
AVG 39

Without Dahl
STK 35
Carl 46
AVG 40.5

I thought he missed the Sydney game too?

Ade, 2, 4
Bris, 2.24, 3.92
Haw, 2.79, 5.3
Melb, 3.33, 5.56
NM, 2.37, 6.4
WCE, 1.77, 2.62
Syd, 2.32, 5.42
Rich, 1.77, 2.89
GCS, 2.95, 4.43
Pies, 2, 5.25
Port, 1.93, 3.06
WB, 2.3, 4.42
Bris, 3.33, 7.14
Ess, 1.96, 3.0
AVG, 2.36, 4.53

Without Dahlhaus:
STK, 2.5, 4.5
Carl, 2.8, 5.6
AVG, 2.65, 5.05

With Dahl
Ade 37
Bris 33
Haw 39
Melb 41
NM 52
WCE 33
Syd 48
Rich 36
GCS 46
Pies 33
Port 35
WB 40
Bris 43
Ess 30
AVG 39

Without Dahl
STK 35
Carl 46
AVG 40.5

Did you factor in his running distance in those games? Sprint efforts? High speed km’s covered? Dahls Running distance per opposition scores. Get to it…

Fair enough for posters here to attack what they deem to be Dahl's middling efforts this season. But to suggest he doesn't have sufficient talent to play in the AFL is just fanciful in my view.

He's played over 200 games at the level, an achievement that less than 5% of players have managed in the history of the game. He's into his eleventh season at the elite level, having played in two GF's already in his career and won a flag during his time at the Dogs.

All very well for posters to suggest they're displeased with what he now brings to the team, despite the fact that those closest at the club clearly see it differently. Don't see that it's necessary to denigrate him to the point where it's suggested that it's some sort of miracle that he's ever got a game, though.
The irony is that it isn't even a valid criticism in the first place. The game has always had role players who were not big possession winners. It used to be the ruck, or the back pocket, or the hard tagger. The only change is where that role is applied - it just so happens that the current game is predisposed to having them in the forward line rather than further down the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of which makes you a walk up start for life.He has simple been off the mark so far this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back