Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
No doubt it will be promoted heavily this week, but next week's game against the Crows, will be the Brisbane Lions (as a merged entity) 500th game.

Lions_Insider will likely be able to elaborate further on what the club will be doing to celebrate the occasion and whilst the last dozen plus years have been pretty lean (including the paddlepop debacle and the likes of Bowers / Johnson doing a poor job of leading the club), the period between 99-04 were very special years. Not saying this group will replicate those feats, however, not since 04 have I been this optimistic about our club, which is bloody exciting.

Here's looking forward to the next 500.

Mods, I'm getting in early and submitting an early request to write my first official preview in our 1000th game some time in about 2039-2040.:p

As for changes, Hodge in for....someone...

Also, Bundy's 50th game for the club in what will be our 226th win as the Brisbane Lions.

Lions by 46.

Mods, I'm getting in early and submitting an early request to write my first official preview in our 1000th game some time in about 2039-2040.:p
I'll pencil that one in.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I don't think I have looked forward to a game so much for quite a while, another very stern test for us.

Changes- I would assume if Luke Hodge comes back in it'll be Cedric Cox straight back out which would be a shame but no one else deserves to go out.

If Harris Andrews is right to play it will be an extremely difficult decision re who to leave out. I have no idea.

Lions by 1.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
If Harris Andrews is right to play it will be an extremely difficult decision re who to leave out. I have no idea.

New deal looms for Lion Walker
LIONS vice-captain Harris Andrews is facing another week on the sidelines, giving resurgent defender Josh Walker more opportunity to push for a new deal.

Walker has built a strong case for a new contract, capping off a solid month by being one of the Lions’ best in their 33-point victory over Hawthorn in Launceston on Saturday. His outing against the Hawks was the best of his time as a Lion and it would have given the match committee some serous selection headaches had Andrews, who was knocked out against GWS in Round 14, been available for Saturday’s clash with Adelaide at the Gabba.

However, Lions football manager David Noble said it was likely Andrews would face another week on the sidelines where his training load would be ramped up and tests done to see if concussion symptoms re-emerged with an elevated heart rate. Coach Chris Fagan described Walker’s Launceston day out as a “special game” and one he believed the player was capable of making his benchmark.

“When Josh is hungry and he’s got a point to prove he’s capable of that sort of performance,’’ he said. “He’s been so consist the past four weeks and I hope with everything that I have got that he can maintain that consistency and get some real belief in himself that he can do that. “It was a really special game, lot of intercept marks, great spoils, it was a special effort from him.’’

Walker looked to have revived his career when he finished last season strongly playing the last nine games of the season spending time at either end of the ground. After spending the majority of his career in attack, Walker said he had adapted to a defensive role where he used his instincts as a former forward to read the play and would now happily play anywhere to keep his spot in the seniors.

“I am genuinely happy to play either,’’ he said. “I want to not only cement my spot in the team, but actually play good footy for a side that is starting to play really well.’’

Josh is thoroughly deserving of a new deal IMO.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think I have looked forward to a game so much for quite a while, another very stern test for us.

Changes- I would assume if Luke Hodge comes back in it'll be Cedric Cox straight back out which would be a shame but no one else deserves to go out.

Lions by 1.

I think Lester might come out if Andrews comes in. Gardiner on Lynch and Josh Bae Walker on Jenkins. Andrews would play in he intercept role. We have played the tall squad when Eagles was healthy.

The crows should be livid with their "captain" Walker who would have been a very important part of their team this week against a team averaging 60 ish points against the past month.

I reckon the crows Should win. With that said, they will need to be in their very best form to beat us. We're playing 4 quarters every week and our KPFs know how to mark and score. They're a scary proposition and that's even without Cameron.

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
"I've been told by a number of people up here that he's actually a terrific forward...so we might try that when Harris comes back."

Chris Fagan on where Harris Andrews will play when he comes back #RSNBreakfastClub

"I've been told by a number of people up here that he's actually a terrific forward...so we might try that when Harris comes back."

Chris Fagan on where Harris Andrews will play when he comes back #RSNBreakfastClub
At the expense of?
You wouldn’t imagine it will be O’Mac, so maybe McStay makes way which would be a little harsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of respect for us happening on the Adelaide board after our win on the weekend. We are 'no longer easy beats' and ' anyone pencilling in the four points is kidding themselves'. A lot of discussion on the outs/ins but very few predictions of them winning.

They are not defending walkers ban at all but are happy Gibbs is challenging the rough conduct charge from last weeks game. It doesn't mean anything to us as it is a finagle offence only.

Dodongo

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dodongo and a few others that Dodongo doesn't remember were saying earlier in the year Harris should be tried up forward. Dodongo hopes that is what Fagan is thinking, especially with Walker being solid down back. Dodongo thinks that will be easier to Harris to adapt to the game again as Harris Andrew's confidence has probably taken a hit as well so playing up forward will be easier for him to get back to AFL level again and then play down back next year. If you are reading this Fagan, then Dodongo wants to say that you are a legend and Dodongo wouldn't mind a stint in the coaches box for a game.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Our group has passed some big character tests this year, mostly in terms of their ability to deal with repeated heartbreak losses and keep on trucking and sticking to the plan.

Another big test this week, and a new one at that... how do we handle being the media darling and after losing any "flying under the radar" tokens we had left? Hope Fages keeps their feet on the ground.

May 20, 2015
Maleny, Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder what the affect of the drama has had. the sad passing of Mr beams, the way the boys handled it and Dayne stepping down as captain what a leadership moment. Harris Andrews being knocked silly and Zorko rushing to grab his mouthguard and players showing initial care for a mate over anger. These things to me show a bond, a building, something more than player but the signs of a real team. The consistency shown by the coaches, the lack of changes after a win or even a lack of many changes overall creating a desire about being in the firsts and part of that tight group that is now a media darling. Sometime its little things that become a defining moment in change. Not that these were little things at the time but even among the group of supporters on here you can see changed. Most weeks people were ripping each other apart just to vent now there are group hugs everywhere. and supporters from other clubs dropping by and look at us, some of us even thank them. As a farmer and not one to show emotion - I'm feeling the love boys and girls.

Dodongo

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder what the affect of the drama has had. the sad passing of Mr beams, the way the boys handled it and Dayne stepping down as captain what a leadership moment. Harris Andrews being knocked silly and Zorko rushing to grab his mouthguard and players showing initial care for a mate over anger. These things to me show a bond, a building, something more than player but the signs of a real team. The consistency shown by the coaches, the lack of changes after a win or even a lack of many changes overall creating a desire about being in the firsts and part of that tight group that is now a media darling. Sometime its little things that become a defining moment in change. Not that these were little things at the time but even among the group of supporters on here you can see changed. Most weeks people were ripping each other apart just to vent now there are group hugs everywhere. and supporters from other clubs dropping by and look at us, some of us even thank them. As a farmer and not one to show emotion - I'm feeling the love boys and girls.

Dodongo can see the mateship and passion. They all want to play together and will play for each other. Dodongo also points out the jumper thing as well. This team will be a force.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Well said Clarky, exceptional post.:thumbsu:

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
Hope the Crows come ready t

Lions by 1.

Cox out for Hodge and Walker for Andrews if fit (Not sure he will be though). Walker has played his role well the last few weeks but he's not usual best 22 just yet.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Our group has passed some big character tests this year, mostly in terms of their ability to deal with repeated heartbreak losses and keep on trucking and sticking to the plan.

I know it probably sounds corny, but if Premierships were awarded on character and determination to succeed in the face of adversity, we are absolute shoo ins.

That’s why we’re getting so much media love right now.

And rightly so.

I’ve ridden the absolute highs and plumbed the depths of despair over the years as a Bears/Lions tragic but I,ve never been prouder of a group of players than I am right now.

Go you good things.

braddsey

Club Legend
May 11, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone brave enough to tip that this weekend we'll move out of the bottom 4 in the second half of the season for the first time since 2013 this?
- We play the Adelaide at home.
- St Kilda play Richmond at Etihad.
- Western Bulldogs play West Coast in Perth.
- We have a superior percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back