Autopsy Rd 19 Blues lose by .... a lot

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't worry me if we finish last I've seen enough improvement around the whole club to see we're going places ..
5d873f6ab72e9d4b3b36d7cc0f5d9e5a--dark-places-being-a-mommy.jpg

What difference does it make whether he knew Kreuz had or didn't have the ball?

You can't drive a players head into the ground and cause a concussion whether they have the ball or not. Nor does it make any difference whether the player meant it or not.

Bullshit defence by Dangerfield and all those who think he is above the law as it applies to lesser mortals.
BH just looked up the 2017 Tribunal Guidelines, guess who the poster boy is......:cool:

http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Coach_AFL/2017_Tribunal_Guidelines.pdf

upload_2017-7-30_20-0-20.png

in the aftermath of the game last night and all the people turning on bolts & co i had to look into our drafting during the years where we should have been getting those players who would be in their prime now.

These are only players who are STILL playing with us, so doesn't include players like Henderson or Bell, it's players drafted & traded in

2014 - Liam Jones, Boekhorst
2013 - Thomas, Docherty, Cripps,
2012 - Graham
2011 - Rowe, Buckley
2010 - Ed Curnow
2009 - Casboult

That's pretty pathetic recruiting. out of those we've had quite a few first rounders who are no longer on any AFL list. Curnow and Casboult were both lucky rookie picks, and Docherty pretty much asked to come to the club so no real credit to our recruiters there, Cripps & Docherty are the only genuine A grade players out of that whole lot.

Next year it wouldn't be entirely surprising to see 3 of those players gone from AFL (Graham, Buckley, Boekhorst).

It's impossible to have even a 3 year rebuild when you've come from such horrible recruiting that has left you with no quality players in that 21-27 age group

Pretty Insipid last night.

Not much to be excited about.

SPS very good.
Charlie coming along well, just keep him outta the ruck FFS.

Older guys burning the ball and some younger guys tiring and having little impact.

Cant beleive Korcheck may be in line for a game.

Lamb is NOT the way forward .. the fact that blokes like Lamb and White are getting games tells far more about the state of the list than I can spruik.
Yes you are honestly true,we are after a strong list and presently we have solid development and a bunch of previous number one picks from ****up's pretty much..we dont have a core of tough believers either as you might have noticed.However at the end of the day it is carlton and we live in hope.

PS.plenty to go out the door before White and Lamb.......i guess that would be pretty obvious.

addition-the minute ainsworth wants out of Suns we trade to Carlton-we will be a total gun and team man....this what we need.

Last edited:
in the aftermath of the game last night and all the people turning on bolts & co i had to look into our drafting during the years where we should have been getting those players who would be in their prime now.

These are only players who are STILL playing with us, so doesn't include players like Henderson or Bell, it's players drafted & traded in

2012 - Graham
2011 - Rowe, Buckley
2010 - Ed Curnow
2009 - Casboult

That's pretty pathetic recruiting. out of those we've had quite a few first rounders who are no longer on any AFL list. Curnow and Casboult were both lucky rookie picks, and Docherty pretty much asked to come to the club so no real credit to our recruiters there, Cripps & Docherty are the only genuine A grade players out of that whole lot.

Next year it wouldn't be entirely surprising to see 3 of those players gone from AFL (Graham, Buckley, Boekhorst).

It's impossible to have even a 3 year rebuild when you've come from such horrible recruiting that has left you with no quality players in that 21-27 age group
Not pretty reading.

2012 - Graham
2011 - Rowe, Buckley
2010 - Ed Curnow
2009 - Casboult

100% spot on.

Chronically mismanaged and horrific recruiting left us in this hole.

We're climbing our way out, it'll take a few more years.

2014 National Draft
Pick 19:
Blaine Boekhorst, Swan Districts, WAFL, Port Headland
Pick 28: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow * Western Jets U/18, Bacchus Marsh
Pick 60: Clem Smith, Perth, WAFL, Thornlie JFC
Pick 63: Jayden Foster *, Calder Cannons U/18, Aberfeldie VMFL

Bust, bust, bust, bust.

2013 National Draft
Pick 13:
Patrick Cripps, East Fremantle, WAFL, Northampton WA
Pick 39: Cameron Giles *, Woodville-West Torrens, SANFL, Blythe-Snowtown SA
Pick 51: Nick Holman, Murray Bushrangers U18, Kyabram VCFL
Pick 57: Pass
Pick 79: Pass
Pick 89: Ed Curnow Promoted Rookie
Pick 94: Tom Bell Promoted Rookie

Gun, bust, bust, solid, bust

2012 National Draft
Pick 11:
Troy Menzel, Central Districts, SANFL
Pick 35: Tom Temay*, Sandringham Dragons U18
Pick 54: Nick Graham, Gippsland Power U18
Pick 69: Pass
Pick 74: Pass
Pick 89: Levi Casboult, Promoted Rookie
Pick 102: Zach Tuohy, Promoted Rookie

Bust, bust, meh depth, solid, gun.

2011 National Draft
Pick 22:
Josh Bootsma, Sth Fremantle, WAFL
Pick 44: Sam Rowe, Norwood, SANFL
Pick 62: Dylan Buckley, Northern Knights U18

Bust, solid, bust.

2010 National Draft
Pick 18: Matthew Watson, Calder Cannons U18
Pick 34: Patrick McCarthy, Glenelg, SANFL
Pick 42: Luke Mitchell, Calder Cannons U18
Pick 67: Andrew McInnes, Dandenong Stingrays U18
Pick 70: Nick Duigan, Norwood, SANFL
Pick 85: Jeffery Garlett, Promoted Rookie
Pick 99: David Ellard, Promoted Rookie
Pick 108: Simon White, Promoted Rookie

Bust, bust, bust, bust, solid, good, bust, meh depth.

2009 National Draft
Pick 12: Kane Lucas, East Fremantle, WAFL
Pick 43: Marcus Davies, North Hobart
Pick 59: Rohan Kerr*, Dandenong Stingrays U18
Pick 72: Sam Jacobs, Promoted Rookie
Pick 85: Aaron Joseph, Promoted Rookie

Bust, bust, bust, gun, meh.

5/6 first round picks = bust
Every second round pick = bust

The only great value picks we made are no longer at the club (Jacobs, Garlett, Tuohy), but I'm not losing sleep over these guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truth is SOS and Bolts have been trying very hard....and actually we have done quite well last year and this year considering our actual list..to be honest.
We do have some lovely drafted young players developing ,once again Bolts and the management have done very well to buy some time in some pretty tough times to win a few games, and already assemble a good defense that works.

I still vividly remember MM saying its 11 o clock for carlton for a flag......pretty whacky really.some strange times at the club.

I think the truth is things are going to be working pretty hard just to stabilize the club and get some moderate success say 10-16 on ladder in the next couple years and then with some luck maybe get lucky later............

the club will need SOS and Bolts to stay,fans to stay,and support to stay....and for management to allow intensive developement of the list as long as it takes via coaching and recruiting.

There is no other option

2012 - Graham
2011 - Rowe, Buckley
2010 - Ed Curnow
2009 - Casboult

For sure...some people forget just how bad our list was at the end of 2014...we had one of the oldest lists in the comp yet finished last.
It really is mind boggling how Hughes/Rogers were allowed to stay on for so long, despite failing for so many years.

It's a disgrace that as of the start of 2015 before SOS came on board, the only midfielders of note that had been added to our midfield and still on the list since Gibbs way back in 2006 were Ed & Cripps. 2 midfielders...in 8 years. What a joke.

As you said, the club should be getting good contributions from our 21-27 year olds but those drafts were barrens. Now we're in a situation where we are putting too much load and pressure on our young kids who can't sustain their performance over a full season yet...and this also puts too much load on the older players. But we're heading in the right direction...SOS has done as well as anyone could really in the last 2 years to turn things around.

Last night was one of his most complete games but....
Casboult mentally drifts in and out of games. Drops chest marks. Fumbles below his knees. Barely averages a goal a game. Misses key set shots. He isnt worth 4 years on 500k+. At 28 next year take the pick in the 30s
On one hand, this board has a habit of going overboard, reacting in either direction; last year, Weitering was already the best ever, where now he's copping quite a bit of flack, some even going so far as to suggest we should've taken Oliver. So with that in mind, I don't disagree with this particular opinion.

That being said, it sounds awfully like our mindset when Adelaide made their play for an out of contract forward pocket, who was definitely not worth $500k a year either. He's had a few good years since, no?

Seriously guys I really hope supporters stop the negative comments towards Bolts and really get behind our club. We are half way through our first ever rebuild that will bring us our 17th flag. Think about it. Even if we finish bottom 3 for another 2 or even 3 years, so be it. Two years ago we had the oldest list with very average young talent and I seriously held grave fears about my club and whether it would follow a path like Fitzroy. Now I couldn't be happier and make no mistake other clubs and supporters know it. Five rising stars this year and group of exciting young players that will take us forward and we're only 2 drafts in. I went to support the players on Saturday night knowing we would lose. But loved seeing the green shoots like Charlie, SPS, Mckay, Cunners running around gaining valuable experience. There will be some tough weeks coming though and we need to be mindful to not get to disappointed.
Let's all get behind the club and unite as one.
17 will be all the more sweeter.

This wasn't much fun to watch.

All I'll say is that the midfielders we selected - SPS, Poulson, Fisher - last year are smaller players, who will need time in the gym before they will be able to take down bigger players. Geelong went in - if you trust the listed heights of AFL players - 13 players above 189 cm, and it became clear from very early on how they sought to beat us; play in, treat the tackler with distain, shrug off and fend off and handpass in the tackle, until we exhausted ourselves trying to bring them down. If you're looking for a reason why we frequently went 2-3 players into tackles and let them get out the back of a stoppage with the extra, that's why; it was the only way we could bring them down.

Beyond that, the talls had a pretty good night; just, they were able to penetrate our zone because they had zero care for the tackler, and our defence is designed to intercept the high ball, not the spear pass. Not many defenders could defend the spear pass, mind, so it's something of a miracle that we didn't get beaten by more.

I'd say we were outcoached, but deprived of options past a certain point the inevitable is all that remains.

This wasn't much fun to watch.

All I'll say is that the midfielders we selected - SPS, Poulson, Fisher - last year are smaller players, who will need time in the gym before they will be able to take down bigger players. Geelong went in - if you trust the listed heights of AFL players - 13 players above 189 cm, and it became clear from very early on how they sought to beat us; play in, treat the tackler with distain, shrug off and fend off and handpass in the tackle, until we exhausted ourselves trying to bring them down. If you're looking for a reason why we frequently went 2-3 players into tackles and let them get out the back of a stoppage with the extra, that's why; it was the only way we could bring them down.

Beyond that, the talls had a pretty good night; just, they were able to penetrate our zone because they had zero care for the tackler, and our defence is designed to intercept the high ball, not the spear pass. Not many defenders could defend the spear pass, mind, so it's something of a miracle that we didn't get beaten by more.

I'd say we were outcoached, but deprived of options past a certain point the inevitable is all that remains.
Ye the entire team need to hit the gym....We only got Steady Ed who is genuinely strong,Gibbs also is pretty powerful unit.

100% spot on.

Chronically mismanaged and horrific recruiting left us in this hole.

We're climbing our way out, it'll take a few more years.

2014 National Draft
Pick 19:
Blaine Boekhorst, Swan Districts, WAFL, Port Headland
Pick 28: Dillon Viojo-Rainbow * Western Jets U/18, Bacchus Marsh
Pick 60: Clem Smith, Perth, WAFL, Thornlie JFC
Pick 63: Jayden Foster *, Calder Cannons U/18, Aberfeldie VMFL

Bust, bust, bust, bust.

2013 National Draft
Pick 13:
Patrick Cripps, East Fremantle, WAFL, Northampton WA
Pick 39: Cameron Giles *, Woodville-West Torrens, SANFL, Blythe-Snowtown SA
Pick 51: Nick Holman, Murray Bushrangers U18, Kyabram VCFL
Pick 57: Pass
Pick 79: Pass
Pick 89: Ed Curnow Promoted Rookie
Pick 94: Tom Bell Promoted Rookie

Gun, bust, bust, solid, bust

2012 National Draft
Pick 11:
Troy Menzel, Central Districts, SANFL
Pick 35: Tom Temay*, Sandringham Dragons U18
Pick 54: Nick Graham, Gippsland Power U18
Pick 69: Pass
Pick 74: Pass
Pick 89: Levi Casboult, Promoted Rookie
Pick 102: Zach Tuohy, Promoted Rookie

Bust, bust, meh depth, solid, gun.

2011 National Draft
Pick 22:
Josh Bootsma, Sth Fremantle, WAFL
Pick 44: Sam Rowe, Norwood, SANFL
Pick 62: Dylan Buckley, Northern Knights U18

Bust, solid, bust.

2010 National Draft
Pick 18: Matthew Watson, Calder Cannons U18
Pick 34: Patrick McCarthy, Glenelg, SANFL
Pick 42: Luke Mitchell, Calder Cannons U18
Pick 67: Andrew McInnes, Dandenong Stingrays U18
Pick 70: Nick Duigan, Norwood, SANFL
Pick 85: Jeffery Garlett, Promoted Rookie
Pick 99: David Ellard, Promoted Rookie
Pick 108: Simon White, Promoted Rookie

Bust, bust, bust, bust, solid, good, bust, meh depth.

2009 National Draft
Pick 12: Kane Lucas, East Fremantle, WAFL
Pick 43: Marcus Davies, North Hobart
Pick 59: Rohan Kerr*, Dandenong Stingrays U18
Pick 72: Sam Jacobs, Promoted Rookie
Pick 85: Aaron Joseph, Promoted Rookie

Bust, bust, bust, gun, meh.

5/6 first round picks = bust
Every second round pick = bust

The only great value picks we made are no longer at the club (Jacobs, Garlett, Tuohy), but I'm not losing sleep over these guys.
Reminds me of this for the 2014 draft:

For Rogers, the draft started to get interesting after the second round, in that he found himself crossing more names off the bottom of his list than the top as other teams started calling their names out. He had taken 54 names into the draft, and by late in the third round two of his top 20

From: http://m.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-08-27/clem-featured-in-the-draftees

Says to me that Rogers and recruiters from other teams werent quite on the same page

Reminds me of this for the 2014 draft:

For Rogers, the draft started to get interesting after the second round, in that he found himself crossing more names off the bottom of his list than the top as other teams started calling their names out. He had taken 54 names into the draft, and by late in the third round two of his top 20

From: http://m.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-08-27/clem-featured-in-the-draftees

Says to me that Rogers and recruiters from other teams werent quite on the same page

Painful reading.
But we are stronger for it.

Rogers died for our sins.
Trust the process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back