Preview Rd 19 Carlton v Hawthorn - Saturday 30th July 2.10PM @ Aurora Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wish the game wasn't in Tassie.

They love playing at Aurora and they have touched up better teams than us there. Hopefully Bolton has a few tricks up his sleeve for this match although even with his knowledge of the Hawks I don't think we have the tools to really hurt them on the scoreboard.

Wish the game wasn't in Tassie.

They love playing at Aurora and they have touched up better teams than us there. Hopefully Bolton has a few tricks up his sleeve for this match although even with his knowledge of the Hawks I don't think we have the tools to really hurt them on the scoreboard.
I for one am glad its in Tassie for a few reasons,

1. I'm Tasmanian and i get a quality game just an hour from home.
2. Aurora is a beautiful ground and in the conditions expected should be a great opportunity to win in the middle at clearances and contested ball against a side that doesn't do it very well in that area.
3. Bolton has experience here, with both hawthorn and as a player.
4. St. Kilda nearly did it here with pressure and clean ball movement.
5.They didnt really belt Fremantle at close to their worst earlier in the year.

I can see a bit of a shake up looming this week with a few injured and tired players being dropped.

FB Tuohy Rowe Simpson
HB Docherty Plowman Buckley
C Boekhorst Cripps E.Curnow
HF Wright Casboult Armfield
FF Summer Jones/McKay Silvagni
FOL Kreuzer Gibbs Whiley
INT Phillips Graham White/Everitt Lamb

Would like to see Graham switch with Whiley in the center at times and Whiley sent to blanket and hopefully negate Mitchell.

I for one am glad its in Tassie for a few reasons,

1. I'm Tasmanian and i get a quality game just an hour from home.
2. Aurora is a beautiful ground and in the conditions expected should be a great opportunity to win in the middle at clearances and contested ball against a side that doesn't do it very well in that area.
3. Bolton has experience here, with both hawthorn and as a player.
4. St. Kilda nearly did it here with pressure and clean ball movement.
5.They didnt really belt Fremantle at close to their worst earlier in the year.

Enjoy the game and have a good day. Bolts is doing a good job and the signs for your team look positive.

Re: your point two. The contested ball myth. We choose to set up with a man less at the stoppages and once the ball is in play tend to find that the contested ball winner (usually the opposition) turn over to our spare man more often than not. It happens so often and yet others allow it to happen.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I remember one of our players from earlier in the year saying that we'd like to be playing our best footy towards the end of the year, which seems like something does really well (peak for finals). It's just felt like we've been building nicely for the last couple of weeks and looking forward to coming home strong towards the end of the year. Hopefully this is something we can really do well over the next couple of years after we've put together a stronger base at the start of the season.
That's something Hawks have been doing for a few years now. Even earlier this year I was sucked in to thinking they were on the downhill slide, but yet again come the pointy end of the year they are leading the comp. I reckon this is something Bolts would have bought to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

S
I hope Bolton puts someone on Gibson to make him accountable. Sick of watching this bloke get uncontested possessions because he plays loose man. I hope we open up our forward line so we can isolate him in 1 on 1's. See how he goes when not given free reign
imon White would play that role very well.

He's a smart footballer with a touch of class but no, I don't think he's doing much more than making up the numbers in a bottom 6 side. I certainly wouldn't be rushing Thomas back into the senior side after missing 3 weeks.

Whiley has done admirably in the VFL accumulating huge numbers and been named emergency multiple times. What more can he do? Team balance requires another onballer more than yet another half back flanker this week.
He's an unbelievably poor kick. If he'd fixed that up in the VFL he'd be a lock. Of all the teams to play guys who can't kick against, this is NOT one of them. He's too unreliable. I'd say they will play him. But that's an error.

It's nearly a sell out game. Not many tickets left for sale.

Despite this game being 1st vs 14th, it will likely be a much tighter game on Saturday. Carlton ran West Coast and Sydney very close and were unlucky not to win both games and Hawthorn only clicked into gear against Richmond in the last quarter.

With Hawthorn having a relatively small forward-line I think this will be the game where Weitering plays mainly up forward to give Casboult a helping hand and I reckon Bolton could send someone like Simon White to play the defensive/forward role on Gibson.

Carlton's chances against Hawthorn will come down to how they move the ball inside 50. I think this game will be close for most of the game with Hawthorn running away and winning by about 3-4 goals.

How I see some of the match-ups

Carlton defense vs Hawthorn forward-line
Plowman vs Gunston
Rowe vs McEvoy
Docherty vs Sicily
Simpson vs Puopolo
Tuohy vs Breust
Buckley vs Rioli

Hawthorn defense vs Carlton forward-line
Frawley vs Casboult
Brand vs Weitering
Duryea vs Sumner
Burgoyne vs Wright
Gibson vs White
Stratton vs Silvagni

Hawthorn midfield vs Carlton midfield
Ceglar vs Kreuzer
Mitchell vs Ed Curnow
Lewis vs Cripps
Hodge vs Gibbs
Smith vs Boekhorst
Hill vs Armfield

Interchange Bench

Hawthorn
O'Brien
O'Rourke
Birchall
Whitecross

Carlton
Kerridge
Phillips
Graham
Whiley

Thomas has been average at best, and certainly if his current form is as good as he will offer then he isn't worth the money he is reportedly being paid.

This was a bust.
I agree.
Thomas was a terrible selection, and thankfully we can say see ya later this time next year. No way the club will allow him to trigger his 5th year option clause.

Apologies for the intrusion, I promise I come here to post respectfully.

I've taken a bit of notice of Carlton this year (always curious to see how a club goes when one of our assistants leave) and I have to say I've been very impressed.

I see this game as a danger game for Hawthorn. Carlton hit top form last week against Sydney, Bolton knows our players and a lot of our setups and will also know how to coach the team on how to play in Tasmania. You also had a good crack at us in Tassy in the pre-season as well. For some reason we haven't played the ground well this year, even though we have won all 3 games, in reality the Saints outplayed us, and both Freo and Gold Coast hung in there for long parts of the game before falling a bit late.

If Hawthorn don't turn up, we can easily lose this game.

I think we'll get the win this week, but reckon it will only be by 2-3 goals.

Good luck on the weekend, hopefully there are no injuries.

I agree.
Thomas was a terrible selection, and thankfully we can say see ya later this time next year. No way the club will allow him to trigger his 5th year option clause.
Yep. Paid for a ferrari and got a holden astra.

But it we had got Thomas the star instead of Thomas the foot soldier we would be happy. Just a bad call on his body.

You only have to think back to WC 2 weeks ago. It was White who fumbled the ball passed to him then fluffed a simple handball into the arms of the WCE player in the middle of the ground. This fumble led to WC goal and going to 62 points to our 35. Had White not fumbled it would have been us with a very promising attack on goal from the fat side of the ground. A goal then and 56 to 41 was very much game still in play. The fumble was not because White cannot execute the skills needed to take possession of the ball and make an easy handball. He can do this easily. He just can't do it under the pressure of an AFL game. Never could. Never will.

Pretty harsh Windy, when you loose by 7 points to pick one defining moment that cost us the game. Watching the game live I reckon I counted about 8 really poor "clangers" that either resulted in goals or prevented us from scoring goals as well as some poor set shots on goal. I feel the team need to focus on all their faults and improve them. A pass from Gibbs to Wright who stood and waited 25m out directly in front of goal was cut off after a great passage from the Blues was just as demoralising.
It takes all types to make up a football team and maybe Whites best traits can not be seen just by his football prowess. At this stage he is a player who I see as a reliable foot soldier who can be given a task and will carry it out to the best of his ability, he also adds toughness to a young side that lacks it.

Apologies for the intrusion, I promise I come here to post respectfully.....
If Hawthorn don't turn up, we can easily lose this game.
I think we'll get the win this week, but reckon it will only be by 2-3 goals.
Good luck on the weekend, hopefully there are no injuries.

Thanks Gunny, but don't worry the commentary team will keep your spirits up.
Cyril will be idolised whilst sitting on the bench - 'Gosh he is magical'.
We should be good, as Murphy is not playing so we wont be a man down half way through the game (hey Hodgeee).
Pretty much guarantee that 'we' will gift you several goals from 50m penalties. You know the ones for hitting your shoulder with our heads or waving our arms from the bench etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back