Autopsy Rd 19 Coachkilling Blues smashed by last placed Roos

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There is every inclination after a performance like this to want to do something - anything - to alieviate the feelings of inadequacy, of frustration, of fury. The problem is, acting on such feelings does not lead to making good decisions in their place, because good decisions take time. You need to go over the available evidence, and you need to ensure that you're not just reacting.

So, while today signs Teague's resignation, he should coach out the remainder of the year unless his relationship with the players is untenable. He should be told how and what to do in order to advance the development of Carroll, Ramsay, Stocker, SPS, O'Brien, Dow, and Durdin, and the list should be informed that they are being primed to hit this offseason running. What operations need to be done, do them. What resting that needs to be done, do it. What positional/gameplan changes need to be done in order to fast-track development, do them.

Newnes, Newman, Casboult, Murphy should not see the ones again this season unless there is genuinely no other alternative in their role. Cottrell must do so many skills drills that when he sleeps he dreams of leather and blood, and if he's not up to it next year he's done. Owies needs to learn his limitations by foot, or practice his barrels to give himself that range from outside 50 if he can't kick goals from 40+ metres, and he needs to find the right position to be front and centre.

But the real issue is whether or not this review is legitimate.

We'll see, I guess.

We won’t win another game this season.

The Board should instruct Teague to play the younger players who haven’t had a go and rest Cotterell et al.

The Board should also appoint a coaching sub committee to commence the search for a new coach. The new coach should then have a say about list management decisions at the end of the year.

The players had a chance to make finals. A chance to save Teague’s job. I know we’ve had injuries but that performance from the 22 who played was terrible. North had it too easy the second half.

Whether it was lack of system or lack of effort - or both - that game must seal our coach’s fate.

Every year it seems like we choke to a poor team when given a faint whiff of finals. Something is very wrong.
Lack of effort, Lack of Skills and out coached. North new when to attack and when to hold. their passing and skills were spot on. Our game relies on dinky passes around the middle allowing opposition defenders to man up an cover ground and then we bomb it on top of someones head in hope.

Is it game plan or dumb Footballers?

I had Newman as one of my worst on ground. He's a difficult player to read....good defensive efforts most of the time, but then dishes up some attrocious ball skills leading to d50 turnovers
I thought he was rubbish. Been poor alot of the year. Another player who gets better around here in summer and when injured.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

There is every inclination after a performance like this to want to do something - anything - to alieviate the feelings of inadequacy, of frustration, of fury. The problem is, acting on such feelings does not lead to making good decisions in their place, because good decisions take time. You need to go over the available evidence, and you need to ensure that you're not just reacting.

So, while today signs Teague's resignation, he should coach out the remainder of the year unless his relationship with the players is untenable. He should be told how and what to do in order to advance the development of Carroll, Ramsay, Stocker, SPS, O'Brien, Dow, and Durdin, and the list should be informed that they are being primed to hit this offseason running. What operations need to be done, do them. What resting that needs to be done, do it. What positional/gameplan changes need to be done in order to fast-track development, do them.

Newnes, Newman, Casboult, Murphy should not see the ones again this season unless there is genuinely no other alternative in their role. Cottrell must do so many skills drills that when he sleeps he dreams of leather and blood, and if he's not up to it next year he's done. Owies needs to learn his limitations by foot, or practice his barrels to give himself that range from outside 50 if he can't kick goals from 40+ metres, and he needs to find the right position to be front and centre.

But the real issue is whether or not this review is legitimate.

We'll see, I guess.
Agree except we owe it to Murphy to get to 300 so he can be the medical sub until he gets there.

We won’t win another game this season.

The Board should instruct Teague to play the younger players who haven’t had a go and rest Cotterell et al.

The Board should also appoint a coaching sub committee to commence the search for a new coach. The new coach should then have a say about list management decisions at the end of the year.

:cool:;)

It will come. I like that he is trying hard. Beautiful kick into the centre to a leading target. He has some skills. I just changed my team again anyway, Carroll in, Newman out.
Newman out is a good call, I exploded when he stuffed that kick up in the goal square early today, we got out of it but it happens too often with him.

Forget that north were in last place they are clearly not the worst team in it. They are well coached and have some good players.

Forget that we were clearly undermanned and lost the centre bounces 20 (to them and they were all clean breaks) as opposed to 8 (for us mostly scrubby). Would have killed for a fit Levi type today.

But

I was hoping that Teague might be the man to take us forward with a better coaching panel, the players appeared to care under him and we had fashioned some crucial if uninspiring wins.

Sadly though after today I doubt that he is the man to take us forward. I was pretty o.k. with plan A today but when it didn't work we needed to move to plan B quickly which probably included trying to limit Cunnington, playing back shoulder man on man defence with a loose midfielder dropping back amongst others.

Our plan b was activated when the game was over.

I hate that we may have to sack the coach as it further reinforces opinions that we are a flaky club that can't stick to a plan. I hate the sad pathetic "I told you so" posters taking delight at our clubs misfortunes.

Sadly tonight though I can't see any other way forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can kick well but is so arrogant with some of them, he turns it over in ridiculous ways. Gets disposal credits for playing on out of the goal square. Was mediocre aside from that.

Mate I need a lift. Any chance you can post that video of you marking the ball and falling over the fence?

Newnes was our best IMO. Maybe they got confused.

I absolutely do not agree. He kicked a goal and floated forward. His impact outside of the this in general play is average. Beyond this game I would place him the worst performer of the season - stats tend to confirm this - though Eddie Betts makes a better case.

Actually feel beyond angry... Maybe more disappointment or despair...
Worst part in the 3rd quarter looked like the players just gave up...

Bar Sam Walsh and Jack Silvagni, our midfield will not defend, they just jog along behind the player with the ball unwilling to chase and tackle...

Cripps, Dow, Fisher, Williams, Saad, Betts, Murphy, Kennedy, Martin and SPS,
all drink their own bathwater and play like millionaires, their defensive running isn't even up to AFL standard.. But continues to get overlooked..
All fair calls. Let’s say you’re correct. Serious
questions…

Does anyone think our mids don’t know how to defend? Are they perhaps unaware of this requirement? Doubtful.

Should players in a team that has achieved nothing in 25 years be getting ahead of themselves? You’d think not.

Who is responsible for preventing the above issues? Whose job is it to hold players accountable and to an unconditional standard.

For those playing at home, it’s the coach.
Teague needs to go, and he needs to go today. Now! Today! Now!

All fair calls. Let’s say you’re correct. Serious
questions…

Does anyone think our mids don’t know how to defend? Are they perhaps unaware of this requirement? Doubtful.

Should players in a team that has achieved nothing in 25 years be getting ahead of themselves? You’d think not.

Who is responsible for preventing the above issues? Whose job is it to hold players accountable and to an unconditional standard.

For those playing at home, it’s the coach.
Teague needs to go, and he needs to go today. Now! Today! Now!

Yep. Time to bring back Malthouse.

Back