Review Rd. 19 Fremantle defeat St Kilda by 37 - Post game analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game. We were totally in a holding pattern in the last. Ross does the thing he does by putting players out of position, such as Mayne in defense. That was a carbon copy of our first two months. We kicked twelve straight to begin with, our only behind being rushed.

Our first quarter reminded me of Richmond's first quarter in the game they beat us. Everything went perfectly.

Was at the game. We were totally in a holding pattern in the last. Ross does the thing he does by putting players out of position, such as Mayne in defense. That was a carbon copy of our first two months. We kicked twelve straight to begin with, our only behind being rushed.
thanks for making lots of noise :)

- Marking
- Work and delivery Inside 50
- Griffin / Sandi fantastic
- Our forward line is actually good to look at now, thinking of the options
- Obligatory Alex Pearce mention
- Old game plan is back in effect, hurt and exhausted the Saint's list.
- Apart from that turnover, Weller was an effective sub again
- Hill work rate priceless
- No Fyfe and Johnson to play like we did in the first 8 weeks

Woot woot! First half was reminiscent of the first derby, and show that we have another gear to go to.

The precise kicking, decision making and goal kicking were all elite, which has been sadly missing for a while.

Positives:

• Bank 4 points, pretty much have top spot sewn up
  • Atoned for last year's smashing at the hands of St Kilda
  • Alex Pearce, great at both ends of the ground. At times looked like he was going to do something really special, it's only a matter of time!
  • Sandi and Griff smashed it, taking marks and kicking goals
  • Crozier was excellent in the first half, dropped off a bit, but goal kicking is solid
  • Midfield was good without Fyfe, he will be a bonus when he gets back
  • No injuries, no MRP issues - bonus.
Negatives:
  • Skills and decision making really drop off when we switch to "go slow" mode - need to address that.
  • Danyle Pearce had a stinker. Must be due for a rest soon?
  • Son Son had a quiet one, made some uncharacteristic skill errors
All in all, I would have taken any win against Saints today, so 37 points will do me.

- Marking
- Work and delivery Inside 50
- Griffin / Sandi fantastic
- Our forward line is actually good to look at now, thinking of the options
- Obligatory Alex Pearce mention
- Old game plan is back in effect, hurt and exhausted the Saint's list.
- Apart from that turnover, Weller was an effective sub again
- Hill work rate priceless
- No Fyfe and Johnson to play like we did in the first 8 weeks
A.PEARCE = BIG YES
D.peace =Noooooooooooooooo

Agree with the negatives DudleyDocker. D.Pearce has been out of form for at least a month and Walters had no impact on the game. The part with Walters though can be a positive considering we scored well without him, was nice watching him break through some of the traffic at times too. Good body use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When they kicked the first goal I thought, oh here we go. But the sting was taken out of the game thankfully.

+Sutcliffe has his confidence back.
+I love how matter of fact Griffin is when he takes set shots. Composure.
+Saints fans still salty.

Unrelated to the game itself but I've been thinking about these things:

+I think that Lyon has proved by now that there's no point in smashing teams week in, week out, if you can just cruise through victories and sit 2 games clear on top. Everyone goes on about percentage, about us not reaching 100 points etc etc. But who cares if you're banking four points every week.
+A few games ago, in his presser, Lyon said something like "we need to fix ourselves internally, rather than focus on the opposition." I personally feel that this is where teams like Richmond go wrong - they put all their efforts into matching it with the best teams, then forget they have to show up the next week. I think Lyon looks at the bigger picture more.

Positives

Pearce A. Just get more man love for him every week. He's a keeper
Sandi and Griff in the first half. Utterly fantastic
Hill was fantastic again but St Kilda should never give that guy any space and they were left paying for it. Good!
Neale - again effective. Showed how it should be done
SonSon was a little quiet but how many goal assists. He's valuable even when not kicking goals.
Pav was good in the middle. He still has it.
12.2 at half time...hard to cope with
Welcome back SCOS - Great first game back
We beat St Kilda.....at last

Negatives
No real negatives except maybe Pearce D - hmmm
McPharlap going off injured

Beat the toasters next week and we have the minor premiership. Again, at last!!!

Great 1st half. The less said about the 2nd the better.

Hilly continued his good form and was my BOG. Sandi showed why he is still one of the best ruckman in the comp despite his age. Griff also had a solid game as the 2nd ruck and it was great to see them both go forward and kick a couple. Alex Pearce can't lose his spot now. Players who can swing back and forward in the middle of a game are far too valuable to not have in the side.

Danyle Pearce needs to be dropped something bad although it probably won't happen.

Seppo I loved you getting stuck into Jack Steven after he kicked the ball into Chelsea.

Reckon Weller still got a bit to learn but he's got an exciting future at the club. D.Pearce really looking like the only one on the ropes at the moment.. gotta lift his disposal efficiency immediately.

Critics of Griff must surely admit now he's the second ruck we need. The Sandi/Griff combo is getting more potent every week.

Reckon Weller still got a bit to learn but he's got an exciting future at the club. D.Pearce really looking like the only one on the ropes at the moment.. gotta lift his disposal efficiency immediately.

Critics of Griff must surely admit now he's the second ruck we need. The Sandi/Griff combo is getting more potent every week.

I haven't been a critic and griff has been fantastic, though still bit worried by team that move it quickly out defence. Fantastic performance all round thought Mz was good to when every fit still should be in the 22.

I don't care, I'd love to beat them in the GF. Point to prove.

This is the opinion we should all have, but its tough. We have unfinished business with them and would be amazing to topple them over there.. however it'd be better to play Eagles or Swans.

My opinion is that Eagles will falter a little and probably fall out of the top 2.. and Sydney will be lucky to make the 4. If we make it all the way Im almost convinced it'll be against the Hawks.

Positives:
- Most players had fairly solid games.
- Crozier was very good in the 1st half.
- Sandi was awesome.
- 4 goals between our 2 rucks.
- Good goal kicking spread.
- Alex Pearce just continues to impress
- good return from Silvagni
- won against a bogey side of late missing Fyfe & Johnson.
- defense was at its stingy best until our foot went off the pedal.

Negatives:
- Mzungu was average (apart from that mark), hard to see him keeping his spot
- didn't get 100+ points (would have been nice)
- Ball use still a bit sloppy under pressure
- Weller didn't kick a goal :(
- Maccas potential injury. Hopefully subbed as a precaution, 10 goals up and a slight injury you'd think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back