Autopsy Rd 2 2021 Review: Freo vs. GWS

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
as amazing & influential a player as Sandi was I never thought his actual tap stuff was particularly deft in the same way someone like Naitanui is. Taking the ball at the top of its arc and being able to direct it in any direction with control.
Darcy seem to have lovely control in the same way.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I said in another post that the Darcy/Meek combo may be better than a Darcy/Lobb one.

Both are much better rucks than Rory and we don't seem to lose too much marking power. Meek, in particular, is quite good at the stoppages and clearances
I think a massive upside to the Darcy/Meek combination flourishing is the impact it has on Lobb.

He has been handed his position in our side due to our lack of key forwards & a 2nd ruck. If Darcy & Meek can impact forward along with the inclusion of Treacy & to a lesser extent Sturt, Lobb is going to have to pull his finger out & earn a spot & not just be gifted a position in the starting 22.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure why, he has never kicked a bag of goals and doesn't look like he ever will. I'd give him the 3rd best defender and let him kick behinds until his heart is content.
Maybe that will happen in the future. There may be a lag between the oppo defending his reputation vs his forward output

But on Sunday he drew a good defender, drew the ball from the midfield, and there seemed to be more space in our F50

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
as amazing & influential a player as Sandi was I never thought his actual tap stuff was particularly deft in the same way someone like Naitanui is. Taking the ball at the top of its arc and being able to direct it in any direction with control.
Darcy seem to have lovely control in the same way.
Maybe early on but by the time we were good, Sandi had it all worked out. Sure, not every ruck knock but he use to set up some amazing goals.

Nic Fat won't be able to get off the ground soon.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe early on but by the time we were good, Sandi had it all worked out. Sure, not every ruck knock but he use to set up some amazing goals.

Nic Fat won't be able to get off the ground soon.
I dislike the slime as much as the next Freo diehard here but I'm in awe of Naitanui's ruck taps and his bullocking at ground level. He got them back in that game on Sunday by himself.
It's why I'm so excited by Meeks work on the ground at stoppages and Darcy's skill to direct the ball.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
That's not because of his goal kicking (which is fine), it's because he's not a good forward.
Too slow considering his height, can't get separation.
People think quality AFL defenders are just going to let him sit on their head and pluck speccies? At the moment he's the most expensive decoy key forward in the history of the game.
If he is going to try and extend his career, and allow our swarm of young kids to develop, then it needs to be as a forward flanker (rotating on ball) not a key.

But for his game on the weekend, whether he played as a key forward or a 3rd tall Fyfe's 2/3rds of an AFL game was above average for a forward. 15 possession 7 marks (3 contested). 3 shots at goal.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's not because of his goal kicking (which is fine), it's because he's not a good forward.
Too slow considering his height, can't get separation.
People think quality AFL defenders are just going to let him sit on their head and pluck speccies? At the moment he's the most expensive decoy key forward in the history of the game.
If he is going to try and extend his career, and allow our swarm of young kids to develop, then it needs to be as a forward flanker (rotating on ball) not a key.

You are probably right about the flank for Fyfe but I doubt we have ever had Fyfe , Walters and Tabs in the fwd 50 at the same time

Wouldn’t mind seeing how that looked for a few games with the 3 pressure fwds doing the chasing out and then streaming back in

Darcy / Meek and Sturt on the bench and Fyfe and Walters chopping out a bit in the middle there’s 5 or 6 dangerous and pretty different combos you could use to keep the oppo backline guessing

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
I wonder if we really needed to win a clearance could we put Darcy in the ruck and Meek around him
That's so crazy it could almost work.

The ball wouldn't be lower than 2m above the ground and Meek seems to be pretty handy with the quick handball.

muzzington

Angry Anderson Batmobile Extravaganza
Jun 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
I enjoyed our first centre clearance of the game being Meek taking it out of the ruck, running forward and delivering to Darcy inside 50.

Jul 20, 2018
Anyone spoken about the s**t crowd attendance? 27k for our first game of the season at home

Yes the opposition team would have a low following in WA

Yes we sucked first round

Yes there’s a deadly flu around

But 27k is shizen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone spoken about the sh*t crowd attendance? 27k for our first game of the season at home

But 27k is shizen

Yeah, I agree. At the ground I kept on waiting for it to fill up. But that never happened. I wonder if the faithfull have lost a little faith and want to see some strong evidence of competitiveness to come back. Hopefully last week's win is the first step in the right direction.

Yeah, I agree. At the ground I kept on waiting for it to fill up. But that never happened. I wonder if the faithfull have lost a little faith and want to see some strong evidence of competitiveness to come back. Hopefully last week's win is the first step in the right direction.
Need to back it up this week.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone spoken about the sh*t crowd attendance? 27k for our first game of the season at home

But 27k is shizen

You might if it was just a Freo thing but crowds were down all over

Jul 20, 2018
You might if it was just a Freo thing but crowds were down all over

Yeah I saw some stats, AFL would be a bit concerned I’d imagine

It def sounded like more than 27k... but it would have been good to get a solid 35k in attendance - get some game day revenue in to the club

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

It def sounded like more than 27k... but it would have been good to get a solid 35k in attendance - get some game day revenue in to the club

I think there could be many supporters (Freo and others) who didn't renew memberships. Game days and times are unknown after the first 6 weeks, games may be moved, not go ahead etc etc due to lockdowns. You have to half consider your membership a donation as that is how it may end up.

I have a flexi membership and in 2019 I was really happy with it and liked the GA seats I always sat in. Last year I was happy with the seats I got for our home games. On Sunday I couldn't get decent seats on my flexi membership and had to pay extra adding about 80% to the cost. I am a bit pissed off about that.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
I enjoyed our first centre clearance of the game being Meek taking it out of the ruck, running forward and delivering to Darcy inside 50.

Same. Seemed like it could be a repeat of Round 1 vs Melbourne where we the moved the ball around first couple of minutes without scoring, then GWS go inside 50m and get an easy goal, it put everyone on edge.

Meek taking it out of the centre at the next bounce was the assertive response the team and the supporters needed.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC

Hopefully they do a review and realise changing the rules every 5 minutes is actually bad for crowd attendance.

Back