Autopsy Rd 2 2021 Review: Freo vs. GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Agree. Ideal is that Hamling & Cox are the KPB's although Logue will be ready sooner.

Personally my ideal is Pearce and Cox but I’d be happy with either. I also think we can play all 3 down back in many situations. Cox is very mobile. He played on Fritsch last week so he can easily do mid size guys if there isn’t 3 bigs to go with.

Yeah and I'm a little worried about McKay next week (204 cm I think?). Although it sounds like Casboult will be out which helps us.

Good point. I should’ve included him for sure. I’m a little less worried about him maybe because of the step down in impact from his support crew. We can double him a bit and not leave another big alone. But yes, he’s a worry this week and 1 on 1 we’ll get badly exposed if we let it happen.

- for what it’s worth I don’t think Reid should get a spell. I’m very much in the he was bracing for contact camp and Fyfe just ran into him
I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

the footage from behind the goals shows that he pushes off his left foot and across, into the path of Fyfe. I don't think he had any intention to injure anyone, but if you choose to bump (Reid did) and get someone high, then you're responsible for the outcome.

Until Henry and Sturt prove they have defensive chops, we won't be moving out Schultz or Switta.

Our best 22 won’t have both Switta and Schultz in there. It will have Sturt and Henry (especially once he develops a bit more). I think at least one of Switta or Schultz will drop out once we get those 2 and especially Sonny back.

I’d keep Switta but I get the love for Schultz. He just turns it over and chokes the ball movement too much for me. I’d understand if the coaches went a different way though...and that may be Crowden ahead of both of them?

The presence of all these options on the list and still having Banfield instead of a Kane Baldwin type is a huge black mark against Bell’s list management. Even with 15 injuries has anyone not related to him thought at any point in the last 2 weeks “jeez I wish we had Bailey out there”?

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

the footage from behind the goals shows that he pushes off his left foot and across, into the path of Fyfe. I don't think he had any intention to injure anyone, but if you choose to bump (Reid did) and get someone high, then you're responsible for the outcome.

Agreed, it's marginal but on some angles it looks like he takes a step towards Fyfe. Unfortunately in the current era that may well be enough to get a couple of weeks off. It's not really fair because it was just an instinctive football action, but I think he'll get weeks

Our best 22 won’t have both Switta and Schultz in there. It will have Sturt and Henry (especially once he develops a bit more). I think at least one of Switta or Schultz will drop out once we get those 2 and especially Sonny back.

I’d keep Switta but I get the love for Schultz. He just turns it over and chokes the ball movement too much for me. I’d understand if the coaches went a different way though...and that may be Crowden ahead of both of them?

The presence of all these options on the list and still having Banfield instead of a Kane Baldwin type is a huge black mark against Bell’s list management. Even with 15 injuries has anyone not related to him thought at any point in the last 2 weeks “jeez I wish we had Bailey out there”?
Henry will have to learn to apply pressure and lay a tackle before he should replace Switta or Schultz. I know Henry is still young and Switta and Schultz are inferior in skill level compared to him but their efforts in games seems to be at a much higher level than Henry's.

Agreed, it's marginal but on some angles it looks like he takes a step towards Fyfe. Unfortunately in the current era that may well be enough to get a couple of weeks off. It's not really fair because it was just an instinctive football action, but I think he'll get weeks
Totally looked like he saw who it was and took the opportunity (raised arm/elbow, collected the head). It's two weeks minimum and most likely 4 given it does not look good and took a Brownlow medalist out of the game.

Totally looked like he saw who it was and took the opportunity (raised arm/elbow, collected the head). It's two weeks minimum and most likely 4 given it does not look good and took a Brownlow medalist out of the game.
You make it sound like he sniped him. You have to remember, like all of us, these guys learnt their stripes when putting a heavy check on a player that was wide open was praised. It's a different game now, I get it, and he'll probably get weeks but it was not a dog act

You make it sound like he sniped him. You have to remember, like all of us, these guys learnt their stripes when putting a heavy check on a player that was wide open was praised. It's a different game now, I get it, and he'll probably get weeks but it was not a dog act
I think he did because of the raised arm/elbow, he could have braced himself completely different.

Bailey's family has practically paid to play him with their ongoing sponsorship of freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still not sure what to make of this game. I loved watching it and I'm stoked we won but GWS were just terrible.
Some of our transitions were like training drills, there was so little pressure.
When Brayshaw waltzed through their defence and kicked a goal it felt like WAFL level defence if that.

Having said all that it will be great for the confidence of the team and that we can play that level of footy and still have Walters, Logue, Pearce, Hamling, Tucker, Sturt, Treacy, Henry all to come in at some point is amazing.

I feel like I have to acknowledge Shultz, I've never been a fan but he was great. Switta is starting to settle and will be a very damaging player when he's got some consistent footy in him.
And my early days on board the Freddy train are looking better and better.

Meek is awesome at ground level with his follow ups. Chapman can pick it up with one touch kick low to a leading forward, Hallelujah!

Treacy for Fyfe and Walters for Giro and we're staring to look good. Plenty of time for Sturt & Logue.

He could have braced & used his shoulder . The elbow coming up is instinctive in protecting yourself.
Don't think it was spiteful.
Nah, the elbow comes up when you're pushing your weight thru it. He knew he was lining up Fyfe as he saw him coming and tried to maximise the hit on the Captain. It's a footy instinct thing but something they are trying to get out of the game.

PLAYER (CLUB)

David Mundy (FRE)
Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
Lachie Schultz (FRE)
Adam Cerra (FRE)
Sam Switkowski (FRE)

Shultz with 5 coaches votes. He’s not going anywhere. If you can’t see what he brings, you don’t know footy like you think you do.

I wasn't keen on Schultz in ze early days, but he's a critical component to how we play right now; he's hard, he's quicker than he looks and he loves a good chase down tackle! He doesn't hit the scoreboard prolifically like the most damaging of smalls across the competition, but he contributes on that front enough, plus all his other endeavours. He's best 22 for me unless he starts playing like Acres

Well I loved most of the game today, Even better as Wet toast lost as well (. sorry to some of the people who support them ). Our intent and effort was sensational. Our finishing well don't need me to tell you it was pretty ordinary. Andy B was magnificent, Barra was another who was simply amazeballs. . Freddy was great along with efforts from switta and schultz. I think Serong may be my 2nd favorite docker player at the moment. There were so many good things to take from our win today. Life is much more enjoyable when we win. 1 down 24 more to go.
Who is your favourite?

Acres had a good game, i'm no Acres fan but he ran and provided plenty of options.
My fear is he is just a downhill skier, and doesn't work hard when we are down and out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back