Autopsy Rd 2 2021 Review: Freo vs. GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I admittedly didn’t know much about Reid so went looking and discovered that he’s actually not very good at the caper. Do GWS have a massive injury list atm, or do they just have a really strong top 15 or so on their list and then it falls away sharply, and I mean really sharply?
They fall away sharply

The Meek shall inherit the Ruck.

Mind you Darcy reminded us how good a tap ruck man he is with that little one down to Switta. I’m not sure we’ve ever had a ruck like Nic Nat who has a 360 hitting zone. Darcy has some skills.

Meek looks a really athletic prospect with his ground ball work though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serong's playing like a 200 game veteran with his decision making in congestion where he gets it out cleanly and spots the free player.

I like the one at the top of our defensive goal square where he paddles the ball towards Hughes rather than pick it up and get tackled.

And it's Only going to get cleaner and more beautiful until he starts doing it Matrix style like Mundy

Hope he can beef up a bit though
He's going to start getting the hard tag and rough up

Serong's playing like a 200 game veteran with his decision making in congestion where he gets it out cleanly and spots the free player.

I like the one at the top of our defensive goal square where he paddles the ball towards Hughes rather than pick it up and get tackled.
And the way he applies a shepherd after he dishes off the handball by stopping in his tracks.

That’s just nuts. Kinda looks like the video has been sped up haha

I had my cricket GF Saturday / Sunday so just caught bits and pieces in a haze of celebratory beers.

After watching the replay last night I am confident that Fyfe is not a forward. He just can't be relied on to kick goals which is a shame.

GWS were proper stinky, they certainly seem to not want to play for their coach and just gave up on the spread a lot of the time.

We are not going to win many games kicking at goal like that and hopefully it is addressed moving forward.

The young brigade of Brayshaw, Cerra, Mundy and Serong are so good to watch. They are going to be great to watch over the next decade.

How could you not like someone called Lloyd.

Depends, is BT commentating?

I had my cricket GF Saturday / Sunday so just caught bits and pieces in a haze of celebratory beers.

After watching the replay last night I am confident that Fyfe is not a forward. He just can't be relied on to kick goals which is a shame.

GWS were proper stinky, they certainly seem to not want to play for their coach and just gave up on the spread a lot of the time.

We are not going to win many games kicking at goal like that and hopefully it is addressed moving forward.

The young brigade of Brayshaw, Cerra, Mundy and Serong are so good to watch. They are going to be great to watch over the next decade.

Congrats on the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Fyfe was quite (maybe even very) effective playing as a high half forward or roaming centre half forward. We will have to wait and see how things look over a few more pressured games. Goal kicking for him (and almost everyone) was or is a problem. I think we have seen over quite a long period of time, some years, that Fyfe in the midfield has its drawbacks. Yes he wins Brownlows but we don't win matches. I have posted on this before when in 2018 we had our best wins of the year when he was injured and we had an ensemble mid field group, rather than a superstar and blockers.

Yes Fyfe's kicking is surprising poor for a guy at his level in almost every other part of the game.

But having Fyfe forward of the ball isn't so much about him kicking a bag, but us having a target to go to. We just looked so much better when the mids had the ball and they could kick to a genuine marking target most of the time. Instead of a guy like Schultz standing next to the FB.

When Fyfe plays as the deepest forward he stretches the defence and gives others more space.

Yes Fyfe's kicking is surprising poor for a guy at his level in almost every other part of the game.

But having Fyfe forward of the ball isn't so much about him kicking a bag, but us having a target to go to. We just looked so much better when the mids had the ball and they could kick to a genuine marking target most of the time. Instead of a guy like Schultz standing next to the FB.

When Fyfe plays as the deepest forward he stretches the defence and gives others more space.
Agreed, no other player on our list worries opposition defences like Fyfe.

The Meek shall inherit the Ruck.

Mind you Darcy reminded us how good a tap ruck man he is with that little one down to Switta. I’m not sure we’ve ever had a ruck like Nic Nat who has a 360 hitting zone. Darcy has some skills.

Meek looks a really athletic prospect with his ground ball work though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sandi.jpg

Not sure why, he has never kicked a bag of goals and doesn't look like he ever will. I'd give him the 3rd best defender and let him kick behinds until his heart is content.

Not sure why, he has never kicked a bag of goals and doesn't look like he ever will. I'd give him the 3rd best defender and let him kick behinds until his heart is content.
Didn't he kick 4 in a quarter down in Launceston against Hawthorn?

Hopefully they keep playing Meek and Darcy, hard work rucking against those two
I said in another post that the Darcy/Meek combo may be better than a Darcy/Lobb one.

Both are much better rucks than Rory and we don't seem to lose too much marking power. Meek, in particular, is quite good at the stoppages and clearances

That's not because of his goal kicking (which is fine), it's because he's not a good forward.
Too slow considering his height, can't get separation.
People think quality AFL defenders are just going to let him sit on their head and pluck speccies? At the moment he's the most expensive decoy key forward in the history of the game.
If he is going to try and extend his career, and allow our swarm of young kids to develop, then it needs to be as a forward flanker (rotating on ball) not a key.

He was a forward originally, remember he kicked 6 in a winning Claremont colts GF b4 drafted.
Its just that he is the best contested possession player in the league, so that's where he has been needed.
One on one, i'd still wager he would beat every other player in the league, in the air the only one that could hinder him would be NicNat, but I'd still back Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back