Autopsy Rd 2 Blues suffer bitterly disappointing loss to arch rival

Who played well for Carlton in Round 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He was nowhere near our worst player...

I'm not saying he was great, I thought he played just ok had some nice passages and had some that were no good like the one you pointed out.

I've never been really critical of Plowman, not once have I jumped on board the Plow hate train in the past, but fmd despite how sh*t the defensive pressure from the midfield was, Plow was shocking, particularly in that first half.

Before having a go at others ability to judge, how about looking at the expected output when you judge the worst player on ground? Dow is entering his 4th season. He had an injury interrupted season last year and is trying to overcome expectations and public criticism. As a young kid still, he has scope to improve.

It's fine if you want to point out areas where he wasn't good enough, however, guys like Cripps who we expect to be putting in more as the club captain and delivering that? Sorry, but being flat against Collingwood at the 'G when you're supposed to be leading your side to finals is unacceptable.

Docherty had only 3 clangers, yet they stand out like a sore thumb because they were all caused by pressure. As a captain, sorry but the expectation is you stand up under pressure, not kick OOF.

Did you watch Casboult? Seriously did you watch him? He was PATHETIC. Sorry, but he just did not deserve to get a game ahead of OMac I don't care what anyone says.

Our captains and more senior players were the ones who really let us down. The torch should be pointed squarely on them. Cripps wants to come out in the media and say he's 100% behind the club and the direction we're going, won't leave etc. then why hasn't he re-signed yet? What's he waiting for? To see whether we make finals this year first? I sincerely hope that's not the case. His job is to LEAD this group... not wait and see what they're capable of. It just sends the wrong message to the fans and the playing group.

Regardless of his reasons, whether it's what I said or something else, in order to lead a playing group... you've got to believe in them and commit.
Thing with someone like dow (and hopefully LOB and Stocker when they get chances) is they won't and dont have to be our best player. Dow hasn't played much senior footy the last 12 months and needs to find his way at AFL level again. I'm looking for signs of this and I thought he did some nice things Thursday night, including some good tackles and harder efforts than previous. Hopefully his numbers improve a little each week and by season's end he is a much better player at AFL level.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Question has to be asked, if a team directly target ONE defender for countless entries, you would think the coaching panel would react by either ..

a) Getting someone to drop into the hole in front or ..
b) shuffle the deck chairs ...

I put it to you some of the leads that were targeted at plows man ... no one would have stopped "one V one"

Neither happened. Makes you wonder doesn't it ..

Right up there with letting Adams of the chain and taking until HALF TIME for someone (Teague/Line Coach etc) to tag him (Ed Curnow) .......
It was bewildering to see plowman continually played in the backline when he was getting slaughtered. It's local footy coaching level to see someone getting slaughtered and then moved....Teague didn't do anything.

Do we know that he didn't? In the pros, coaches should be better that waiting for a player to tell out for a hand though.
It’s on the coaches.

When a 193cm, 90kg experienced backman get pushed off the ball on the goal line by a 178cm, 76kg, 22 year old for the easy goal, then it’s the coaches for mine, and his teammates.

How you are not dragged and slapped upside the head for such a pissweak effort astounds me.

Yet they’ll review tape this week, he’ll be asked what he could have done differently, he’ll respond verbally in the manner he has been programmed to do so, and they’ll move on to the next game.

What should happen is that he should‘ve watched that goal on the scoreboard replay and be so utterly disgusted with his own effort that he would never let it happen again through lack of effort or desire.

He then should‘ve looked for any other opportunity to bury Daicos, or any other pissant that he came across, because he was so pissed by his own unacceptable effort.

He should’ve been told by the backline general that this type of effort wasn’t acceptable. If that was personally acceptable to him then he wasn’t part of the backline moving forward.

In simple terms, he should’ve been pissed. He should’ve been nasty, he should’ve been hurting to the point he wanted retribution.

But he wasn’t, because that’s the standard that has been acceptable for far too long.

And that’s why we are where we are.

Stuck in this mailaise of near enough is good enough, and saying is an acceptable substitute for doing.

It was bewildering to see plowman continually played in the backline when he was getting slaughtered. It's local footy coaching level to see someone getting slaughtered and then moved....Teague didn't do anything.

In press conference talk that is “backing your player in” ... and “providing a real life learning experience from which he can develop valuable growth from”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's up to someone filling the dangerous area. Didn't happen once and it wasn't all due to lightning ball movement
The only time I saw someone in the hole was Saad in the last qtr and he had no intention of impacting the ball by marking or spoiling, when the kick came in he turned and waited in the ground for the spoil rather than impact the play - so wrong guy to have in the hole for starters.

In press conference talk that is “backing your player in” ... and “providing a real life learning experience from which he can develop valuable growth from”
To be fair, his 2nd half was better (hard not to be ) and his intercept marking was very good....

To be fair, his 2nd half was better (hard not to be ) and his intercept marking was very good....

this is why I am not directing my anger squarely at plow. He was essentially set up to fail..IMO only..

Last edited:
It’s on the coaches.

When a 193cm, 90kg experienced backman get pushed off the ball on the goal line by a 178cm, 76kg, 22 year old for the easy goal, then it’s the coaches for mine, and his teammates.

How you are not dragged and slapped upside the head for such a pissweak effort astounds me.

Yet they’ll review tape this week, he’ll be asked what he could have done differently, he’ll respond verbally in the manner he has been programmed to do so, and they’ll move on to the next game.

What should happen is that he should‘ve watched that goal on the scoreboard replay and be so utterly disgusted with his own effort that he would never let it happen again through lack of effort or desire.

He then should‘ve looked for any other opportunity to bury Daicos, or any other pissant that he came across, because he was so pissed by his own unacceptable effort.

He should’ve been told by the backline general that this type of effort wasn’t acceptable. If that was personally acceptable to him then he wasn’t part of the backline moving forward.

In simple terms, he should’ve been pissed. He should’ve been nasty, he should’ve been hurting to the point he wanted retribution.

But he wasn’t, because that’s the standard that has been acceptable for far too long.

And that’s why we are where we are.

Stuck in this mailaise of near enough is good enough, and saying is an acceptable substitute for doing.
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

He a great player
I guess I was angling at a speculative price he is in/waiting for new contract but how much ? He isn’t a million player with new rules.
Let's give him, and the side, time to adjust and see what unfolds.

He may not even stick around.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Tackle Count v collingwood
Murphy 1
Gibbons 0
Fisher 0
Our forward 50 pressure was very poor and non existent for the most part. It was the case last week as well.

I don't expect it on the back of that performance, but I would favour Eddie and even Owies over Gibbons for this reason, because our attacking style doesn't lend itself to it being a weakness.

No 2's game...so it's out of form for no form.

Bugger.

I'd still take Kennedy based on his form in the last 2's game though.

Setters MUST be dropped. I love the bloke, I really do. But 9 touches, against the Pies of all teams, is unacceptable.

Someone else said it earlier, the standard you walk past is the standard you accept. We can't accept midfielders having less than 10 touches in a game of footy.

Back