Autopsy Rd 2 Blues suffer bitterly disappointing loss to arch rival

Who played well for Carlton in Round 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s on the coaches.

When a 193cm, 90kg experienced backman get pushed off the ball on the goal line by a 178cm, 76kg, 22 year old for the easy goal, then it’s the coaches for mine, and his teammates.

How you are not dragged and slapped upside the head for such a pissweak effort astounds me.

Yet they’ll review tape this week, he’ll be asked what he could have done differently, he’ll respond verbally in the manner he has been programmed to do so, and they’ll move on to the next game.

What should happen is that he should‘ve watched that goal on the scoreboard replay and be so utterly disgusted with his own effort that he would never let it happen again through lack of effort or desire.

He then should‘ve looked for any other opportunity to bury Daicos, or any other pissant that he came across, because he was so pissed by his own unacceptable effort.

He should’ve been told by the backline general that this type of effort wasn’t acceptable. If that was personally acceptable to him then he wasn’t part of the backline moving forward.

In simple terms, he should’ve been pissed. He should’ve been nasty, he should’ve been hurting to the point he wanted retribution.

But he wasn’t, because that’s the standard that has been acceptable for far too long.

And that’s why we are where we are.

Stuck in this mailaise of near enough is good enough, and saying is an acceptable substitute for doing.
Fixed

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Let's give him, and the side, time to adjust and see what unfolds.

He may not even stick around.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I don’t know
I live Cripps
But I think he has shot himself in the foot as time goes on then it only gets worse for him

forever blue 1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Fixed
“Teague highlighted Carlton’s team defence in the first half as their biggest issue on Thursday night as Collingwood helped themselves to 11 goals in the opening two quarters after only managing seven in total against the Western Bulldogs last week”
Have I missed something ?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Haven't bothered watching the replay, but from my recollection, I don' think Murphy was that bad, aside from squandering one opportunity going forwards.
Not the biggest fan of Marc Murphy, but is it fair to say he has become a scapegoat?

He stayed loyal to the club when he could have left for more money and success several times (ie Geelong a couple of years ago)

He deserves more modicum of respect I would have thought.

We want players to be loyal and stick fat to the club. Well it's a two way street as well (with regards to supporters)

juzz88

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2009
The Netherrealm
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Juventus
Haven't bothered watching the replay, but from my recollection, I don' think Murphy was that bad, aside from squandering one opportunity going forwards.
Not the biggest fan of Marc Murphy, but is it fair to say he has become a scapegoat?

He stayed loyal to the club when he could have left for more money and success several times (ie Geelong a couple of years ago)

We want players to be loyal and stick fat to the club. Well it's a two way street as well (with regards to supporters)
Not to mention that, despite him not having the best game on Thursday (who did?), we had far worse performers than him.

Scapegoat somehow seems like an understatement.

He's Plowman 2.0

Plowman 2 - Electric Boogaloo

The Plowman Strikes Back...

I'll show myself out.

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Our forward 50 pressure was very poor and non existent for the most part. It was the case last week as well.

I don't expect it on the back of that performance, but I would favour Eddie and even Owies over Gibbons for this reason, because our attacking style doesn't lend itself to it being a weakness.
Our F50 pressure has been absolutely crap for ages, way too long, sides walk the ball at ease same ongoing lack of structural positioning awareness and work rate... not one sign of a new strategy/plan being implemented in years, it’s a little embarrassing...

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
“Teague highlighted Carlton’s team defence in the first half as their biggest issue on Thursday night as Collingwood helped themselves to 11 goals in the opening two quarters after only managing seven in total against the Western Bulldogs last week”
Have I missed something ?

Collingwood only managed to kick 7 goals in total last week (Rnd 1) against the Bulldogs.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

He played footy for the club and got paid. Footy club doesn’t owe players anything.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Then he needs to put his head over the ball rather than squib it and stick a toe out. A tackle wouldn't go astray either. And he's been doing it for a couple of years at a minimum......then he supposedly mentors our younger mids, grrreeeeaaaattr.....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

johnno73

Debutant
Nov 2, 2008
Bli Bli
AFL Club
Carlton
I spotted that squib from Smurf and so did my brother, just can't cop that anymore from a seasoned veteran, who i actually like or used to like as a player..
He doesn't have the ticker or appetite for the contest, must be close to being dropped if we are fair dinkum..

I'm not all doom and gloom and realise we are still on the improve albeit it's a slow boat to China ( and i'm onboard )

I liked SPS's game and we need to stick fat with Dow right now, as previously mentioned Walsh and Fogerty shining lights, Harry good. Saad good.
Collingwood just came out and got us on the night, not too worried.

Big game for the club this week !
GO BLUES !

Bugger.

I'd still take Kennedy based on his form in the last 2's game though.

Setters MUST be dropped. I love the bloke, I really do. But 9 touches, against the Pies of all teams, is unacceptable.

Someone else said it earlier, the standard you walk past is the standard you accept. We can't accept midfielders having less than 10 touches in a game of footy.
Wouldn't drop him. Move him.
Don't drop Dow either. Give him a chance.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd love to see Barker in his next interview and having to respond to questions in the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result).

"Err, the boys were not winning, so I told them instead of standing to the left, try the right. The players listened and in the end we lost by 1 point less than the bookies tipped".

"Our midfield clearance work was going ok, but we as coaches thought they could lift so I took over those duties. I decided to completely throw the baby out with the bath water and re-implement the strategy as I've done with the other lines I've worked on. I started watching tapes of under 12 football to get a grasp of the modern game. Results are hard to gauge, but we're not doing any worse as other years as we're still 0-2"

Don’t be ridiculous. An Under 12s coach would be able to set us up at stoppages better than Barker is

BluesForever24

Premium Platinum
Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Murphy has never been a good player, sorry to say this.

SPS should have been moved into the center or the wing, or even forward but yet this pathetic little club keeps tying to make him a half back.

Murphy should have been pissed off a long time ago, and now we are stuck with him for another season.

No wonder we aren;t going anywhere, we are just a bottom 4 club and will continue to be.

Murphy has never been a good player? Oh get a grip and calm down. Fine to be passionate and angry after Thursday night. But don’t lose credibility saying crazy stuff.
Murph is certainly no where near his best but come on! 🤣 Murph has been a great player for us.
I agree and hope SPS is moved away from the backline

Last edited:

juzz88

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2009
The Netherrealm
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Juventus
Wouldn't drop him. Move him.
Don't drop Dow either. Give him a chance.
If we are fair dinkum, Setters has to be dropped. I know he's 10x better inside. I know he was one of our best last year. But there's no excuse for only finding the pill 9 times, unless you're playing him out of position at FF or FB.

He should come straight back in the following week (in the middle), because he's clearly best 22. But he needs to be given a week off after that performance.

Dow, I'm more sympathetic to, given his injuries and need for a sustained run in the 1's.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Our forward 50 pressure was very poor and non existent for the most part. It was the case last week as well.

I don't expect it on the back of that performance, but I would favour Eddie and even Owies over Gibbons for this reason, because our attacking style doesn't lend itself to it being a weakness.

I’m a bit confused by this, forgive me if I’ve misread your view. How do you come to the conclusion of preferring Owies, who has played 1 game of AFL football over Gibbons? Owies who got 5 possessions, 1 tackle and zero goals in his single game, how is that a better alternative?

FWIW Gibbons had more tackles than Betts last year.

0 tackles last game by Gibbons, Fisher and Murphy isn’t acceptable, they need to work harder

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
It's causing you so much pain, take your hand out of the fire and stop. Look for positives, almost as distressing but marginally more tolerable.........

We are much, much better than Essingtin, Hawthorn and Norf. Clutching at straws perhaps but I will take it.

Plus we will beat Freo and Brodie Kemp is one week closer in his rehab

Many teams over the years have made finals and or had really good seasons after starting off 0-2.

Let's not go all Tim from the Goodies ...

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Oh get a f*cking grip

Murphy has never been a good player? Oh get a grip and calm down. Fine to be passionate and angry after Thursday night. But don’t lose credibility saying crazy stuff.
Murph is certainly no where near his best but come on! Murph has been a great player for us.
I agree and hope SPS is moved away from the backline
Murphy was a great player for stretches.

Can't say the same for his leadership.

Back