Game Day Rd 2 v Blues Marvel Stadium @ 16:35 AEST- Da Ba Dee Da Ba Dye

Remove this Banner Ad

Gawn really did frustrate me this game. He got a shitload of rating points, but he had their rucks on the ropes, and when they expectedly put a second big effort in, he got thrown around, played for iffiah frees, and generally looked cooked in getting from contest to contest (compared to them).

He really needs to find an ongoing mean streak or angry side, not just for 5 mins, but for an entire game (or from when he starts getting scragged).

Couldn't agree more. Been saying it for 2 years now. Gawn isn't the type of guy who should be captain. He's mentally weak. Not to mention his body language and hound dog look when things are going bad.

Lever started well then wasn’t sighted much. Dare I say May looked unfit and way off with his touch.

Jake hasnt played for so long, I give him a pass, thought his decision making was pretty good still. Unlike everyone else but Rivers down back.

I’ve been saying for the last 2 years Gawn is a poor mark for 208cm. Drops a lot of easy marks and is easily out manouvered for a man his size.

Like the look of Rivers (PG recovery in process)

Who do we play next? It throws up so many more opportunities for embarrassment I want to get on top of it early
Essendon. I don't think we'll get the luxury of a 5 goal start. The Don's will have their skis out

Thought at half time that we’d either win by 10 goals or lose and was just about right. Zero run and went in to our shells scared of the wave of momentum Carlton built which is what I feared. I’ll cut them some slack due to the garbage preparation and match fitness.

Couldn't agree more. Been saying it for 2 years now. Gawn isn't the type of guy who should be captain. He's mentally weak. Not to mention his body language and hound dog look when things are going bad.

Dude, I think you mean "hangdog".

Kicking inside 50 was good when we had the play so at least we didn't waste our opportunities when we were dominating early

Once Carlton go on top though we were next to useless. We didn't even try to slow the game down or switch play. We were doing that s**t all pre-season but didn't bother with it yesterday. We could have just parked the bus at half time and worn Carlton down. A lot to learn from this game.

I don't think Melbourne have ever been good at kickouts but May's were truly awful yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude, I think you mean "hangdog".

Yes, you're right, but hound dog also, Max always reminds me of detective droop you see, it's uncanny how similiar they look when things are going bad:

unnamed.png

Last edited:
I dunno what's going on in the coaching box, but if the Dee's don't change up a few things then I can't see them playing finals.

I sat and watched the game with my Melbourne supporting mate, and we were bewildered by the game style after quarter time.

Was it fitness?

I dunno what's going on in the coaching box, but if the Dee's don't change up a few things then I can't see them playing finals.

I sat and watched the game with my Melbourne supporting mate, and we were bewildered by the game style after quarter time.

Was it fitness?
Your not the only one

Was it fitness?
Shouldn't be fitness as they've (apparently) had a hard preseason and shutdown.

I think so many of our problems are mental. We had one great quarter when Carlton hadn't shown up and thought we had won. They started putting on some pressure and we went to s**t. Despite our apparent quality in contested ball etc, we don't have much grit in our team to grind things out if the game gets tough.

Is it me or does anyone miss the Tom Bugg 2017 pest style where we would actually get in and rough sides up. I remember the doggies game at Etithad and West Coast where we completely bullied them physically.
Even the final aginst Geelong where we saw the likes of Sam Weideman smash Dangerflog on the boundary.

Feel like we've gone back to playing safe gentlemen conservative footy.

Is it me or does anyone miss the Tom Bugg 2017 pest style where we would actually get in and rough sides up. I remember the doggies game at Etithad and West Coast where we completely bullied them physically.
Even the final aginst Geelong where we saw the likes of Sam Weideman smash Dangerflog on the boundary.

I'm convinced it has been coached out of them.

We were hunting the ball and man pretty ferociously in the first quarter and a half - then slipped away from that for whatever reason.

Footy is a weird game, most games had pretty solid momentum swings as a feature, it's not just the Dees that have problem playing 4 quarterss.

I'll take the W given how poorly very talented teams like WCE and GWS played on the weekend. WCE's midfield got trounced by a 2nd gamer for god's sake.

There'll be plenty more weird games in the next month before the cream starts to rise to the top, you've just gotta bank wins at this time of the year.

* Carlton

We were hunting the ball and man pretty ferociously in the first quarter and a half - then slipped away from that for whatever reason.

Footy is a weird game, most games had pretty solid momentum swings as a feature, it's not just the Dees that have problem playing 4 quarterss.

I'll take the W given how poorly very talented teams like WCE and GWS played on the weekend. WCE's midfield got trounced by a 2nd gamer for god's sake.

There'll be plenty more weird games in the next month before the cream starts to rise to the top, you've just gotta bank wins at this time of the year.

fu** Carlton

WCE can have an off night, they have been a continual finals side for 30 years and have 4 Flags one as Recent as 2018. Not to mention they are in an unprecedented situation of being in a hub.

Our playing group has achieved one finals appearance in 12 years that culminated in a goal less first half and a 10 goal loss. They can’t afford to have an off training session little own an off game to a bottom 6 side.

fu** Carlton
I reckon we only play high pressure, good skilled footy or low intensity, low pressure, low-skilled dogshit. We are either on or not. The difference between real top 4 sides is that they can still manage a goal or 2 when momentum is swinging their way and the teams arousal rates are low for whatever reason. It feels like throughout Goodwin's tenure the team has been feast or famine.

Having a game style that relies on high intensity pressure throughout a whole game is hard enough, let alone a season.

I agree that there will be some weird results this year, but i reckon our game plan only working when we are revved up has been a problem over several years and something that is going to be extremely difficult to get out of 22 players each week playing in front of no one.

Our win against Adelaide in Adelaide in 2017 comes to mind, we absolutely bullied them at the contests, one of the best wins we've ever had against a very good Crows side who were belting everyone at home until then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back