Preview Rd 2 v Carlton. Etihad Stadium - Sat 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a unique prospect as a suns fan. For the first time i think everyone played well enough to justify their spot. Im 100% confident we will have changes next week but only to rotate the sore bodies out. Dew is all about player management and welfare. So a rotating squad every week will be our strength during this heavy travel half of the year.

So impressed with our boys last night. Despite the 3rd qtr when we stopped trying to play wet weather footy and get too cute with disposal, we were great. While the weather didnt allow us to show alot of skill or structured press, it did show us what we as a club have lacked for 7 years. Grit, determination and putting our bodies on the line. This is the dew effect at the club and i love it.
saw a few people say that about not playing at weather footy in the third.

maybe I'm wrong but to me it looked as though North brought their spare man up maybe half-a-kick behind the contest. when they win the ball he'd stream forward and they'd run in waves creating the handball overlap.

we had our spare back in the hole. so if they didn't use it properly or bombed it forward, we'd clean up.

sadly, I think we'd win it at the contest and boot it forward without looking. our forward would cause a contest and bring it to ground, but North's loose man would run back from being half-a-kick away, meaning he was all alone at front and centre to rove for them.

just always seemed like they had an extra man, which they did.

Our blokes would be incredibly tired this morning and sore.
I wonder what the plan is for this week logistically. Are they returning back home at all?
I’d rather they recover in Cairns and then go direct to Melbourne.
same. dunno how their families would feel though

Our blokes would be incredibly tired this morning and sore.
I wonder what the plan is for this week logistically. Are they returning back home at all?
I’d rather they recover in Cairns and then go direct to Melbourne.
Direct 2 hr flight back to Coolangatta?
Same timezone
They would have been back here at 8.30 after a decent sleep and physio at the Hotel last night
Would be worse driving back from Geelong to Sandringham
The East-West-East Perth thing is entirely different

Not sure why people want Rosa dropped , we have a go at him for not going in hard enough then comes out with a 26 poss game 19 contested , way more than anyone else , no chance he is dropped , but someone has to make way for Hall , it’s a position this club hasn’t been in for a while making the tough call on a Thursday night , good times.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Direct 2 hr flight back to Coolangatta?
Same timezone
They would have been back here at 8.30 after a decent sleep and physio at the Hotel last night
Would be worse driving back from Geelong to Sandringham
The East-West-East Perth thing is entirely different

Under that scenario they’d be be very tired today. If they have a good night sleep tonight though and don’t do a Harbrow then they will be right.

I'll be pessimistic and say we don't have much of a chance in this one. The heavy deck last night will take a big toll.

I will be happy to be proven wrong, however...

I'll be pessimistic and say we don't have much of a chance in this one. The heavy deck last night will take a big toll.

Can see a few changes for that reason alone. Will be interesting to see the strategy the club employs over this travel period.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have this game pencilled in as a very winnable game but seeing carlton play well thursday and the conditions we played in it seems to be a bigger ask then i initially thought. Could go either way.

7 days to recovery should be more than enough considering the season is only 1 game old. Let's see how North goes after 6 day break against St Kilda.

Not sure why people want Rosa dropped , we have a go at him for not going in hard enough then comes out with a 26 poss game 19 contested , way more than anyone else , no chance he is dropped , but someone has to make way for Hall , it’s a position this club hasn’t been in for a while making the tough call on a Thursday night , good times.

Its because it was a slow slog fest.
In and under.
He is a smart player.. he found the ball.

Take him to a larger ground in dry weather and he will be a liablity with his lack of speed.

If it was a choice of Barlow or Rosa id pick Barlow every day

Its because it was a slow slog fest.
In and under.
He is a smart player.. he found the ball.

Take him to a larger ground in dry weather and he will be a liablity with his lack of speed.

If it was a choice of Barlow or Rosa id pick Barlow every day
Rosa plays different role and for sure wins race with Barlow :) Hall in for Rosa. Barlow bad luck as all inside midfielders played well. It would not surprise me if Lemmens goes straight in. We need as much pressure as possible against Blues. 2MP could replace Day if ready.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at all the tips on the main board and talk in the media, Carlton have this in the bag. Love being underdogs, can see the boys winning this and being in the top 3 at the end of the round before our doomsday double

If Tom Lynch can't impress this week under the roof on a near perfect surface then we're living in interesting times
The last time he kicked 5 was July 1 last year
I love Tommy but I honestly think he's at a crossroads in his career
Does he take the path to superstardom or the road more frequently travelled of occasional goodness?
I watched Lance Franklin yesterday- just sayin'

Suns tackle and chase pressure has been awesome so far. They also look more organised when the opposition has the ball. Beating Carlton will give everyone at the club a lot of confidence and also anger Victorian footy fans.

Aaron Hall (broken finger) test

Pearce Hanley (shoulder) – 2-3 weeks

Sean Lemmens (hamstring) – test

Harrison Wigg (ankle) – test

Peter Wright (calf) – test

From Fox Sports so don't know how offical it is, but that is what I like to see. Could conceivably have just Hanley on the injury list come the end of Rd2

he was excellent in the conditions and his experience showed

On a fast track at Etihad, and after his JLT form, have to bring Hall back into the 22.
I mean, he even tackled a few people in the preseason.

Also, fresh legs.

Looking forward to another Thursday night selection conundrum.

You know, a proper selection conundrum. Like who is the better player for our team out of these 2 sensible options.

Such a long way from last season's "this bloke was rubbish last week and should be dropped but whoever we replace them with will also be rubbish so it is all a touch pointless at the end of the day. Except for the fact that a lot of money changes hands each week for a game of AFL footy and, you know, jobs and growth. Otherwise, pointless. Even BigFooty would not miss our 12 posts about team selection for round 15 2017."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back