Autopsy Rd 20 - Another Giant loss for the outclassed Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have zero respect for a propped up satellite entity dropped into nowhere and gifted fistfuls of number 1 and first round draft picks - pick after pick - millions of dollars, facilities, concessions, friendly press and a "club" song straight out of Dr Zhivago - **** them and the horse Demetriou rode in on
Couldn’t have said it better

it's the competition you don't respect but you follow it
what really is GWS and GC?
theyre product of the competition that people follow
they're not there in isolation

so you don't respect the competition is what you really mean?
For me the competition is an abject failure. Rife with double standards and inequities. The game itself has become nigh on ruined and full on ugly much of the time resembling a cross between rugby and netball.
I follow Carlton because there isnt a choice in the matter. The rest means nothing.

that doesn't make sense
you respect the competition but not the competition?

The thing is if youre going to follow the AFL you have to follow all its fixes too

I thought we all understood that wth priority picks that many here want
uneven fixtures
salary cap
compensation picks
The whole Essendon Saga
The expansion teams are just part of that

that doesn't make sense
you respect the competition but not the competition?

The thing is if youre going to follow the AFL you have to follow all its fixes too

I thought we all understood that wth priority picks that many here want
uneven fixtures
salary cap
compensation picks
The whole Essendon Saga
The expansion teams are just part of that

I think expansion team and PP picks etc have diminished the game. I don't like it all. It's fabricated.

BUT I love the sport and my club. Will always follow them

I think expansion team and PP picks etc have diminished the game. I don't like it all. It's fabricated.

The other teams have but one purpose. For us to beat. Unfortunately that scenario is having a hiccup, a very long one....darn it

I resent all the handouts these expansion clubs have been given , I like and respect all the old fashioned rivalries that’s my era. I don’t respect demetriou & the Gil’s of this world yes I know someone has to run the AFL but they’ve become out of touch & a boys club mentality, they need someone with a common touch. Footy has become corporate / big business which I accept but I love heading to the game, cheering my team, great memories
Tough at the moment tho

I resent all the handouts these expansion clubs have been given , I like and respect all the old fashioned rivalries that’s my era. I don’t respect demetriou & the Gil’s of this world yes I know someone has to run the AFL but they’ve become out of touch & a boys club mentality, they need someone with a common touch. Footy has become corporate / big business which I accept but I love heading to the game, cheering my team, great memories
Tough at the moment tho

IMO GWS & GCS wasn't needed at all. 16 teams was right. The competition has been compromised and for years. The standard has been diluted.

Tough at the moment tho

Did you respect the CFC when we cheated the system so much, we thought we'd get away with it forever, Eskie?
I also don't know what you mean by 'The Demetrious and Gils' of this world. How exactly do you define them?
Someone with a common touch? Not sure what that means either.
Not having a go at you, but just asking the questions.

IMO GWS & GCS wasn't needed at all. 16 teams was right. The competition has been compromised and for years. The standard has been diluted.

Soapy, we may not like these new clubs but you have to understand why they're there.
There are other sports wanting to get their hooks into our slice of the pie and the governing body is compelled to keep others at bay as much as they possibly can.
Now, we can argue we never wanted expansion but by default it means no Sydney nor Brisbane either. Is that we most people would really want?
Could have the competition flourished without selling the sport far and wide and allowing other sports to grab footholds?

Football is competitive on-field and it must be competitive off-field. It simply has to be.

Soapy, we may not like these new clubs but you have to understand why they're there.
There are other sports wanting to get their hooks into our slice of the pie and the governing body is compelled to keep others at bay as much as they possibly can.
Now, we can argue we never wanted expansion but by default it means no Sydney nor Brisbane either. Is that we most people would really want?
Could have the competition flourished without taking away patronage from others sports.

Football is competitive on-field and it must be competitive off-field. It simply has too be.

Don't agree. With what's available on TV/Internet these days having a team in certain areas is overrated. It's why Soccer/Basketball etc hasn't taken off here. You can watch teams overseas that are better.

Having 8 games a week with strong clubs will get bigger crowds and more TV revenue. Make the games great. Having more teams doesn't make it better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree. With what's available on TV/Internet these days having a team in certain areas is overrated. It's why Soccer/Basketball etc hasn't taken off here. You can watch teams overseas that are better.

Having 8 games a week with strong clubs will get bigger crowds and more TV revenue. Make the games great. Having more teams doesn't make it better

How do you see the game in 10 years time? 20? 50?
Project what our population will be and what the patronage may be?

Most of us are rather selfish and simply want what's good for us in the here and now.

Not saying the AFL have got it all right, as only time will tell, but of you can't see what it's trying to do and possibly needs to do......look harder

Tough at the moment tho

Demetriou is pretty common.

:D

Its certainly watered down the talent pool. Teams should pop up if they can justify their geographically located choice. Understand the AFL trying to claw back from the League and Union heartlands but without massive assistance from the AFL they would disappear and NOT be stand alone viable.

Australia has what? 25 million people, out of that a touch over 3.5 million are in the 15-34 range. With an average each year of 45 on a senior AFL list x 18 teams that's 810 people that make an AFL list …. 0.02% of the available age bracketed population player top flight AFL on a senior list … that's in the 15-34 yo age range.

Take into account GWS have 50 senior list spots …. had access to multiple disproportionate draft numbers ….

Yes you are spot on … it waters down the gene pool massively.

It also brings Hawthorns 3 peat into question in so far as validity as they were the last club that peaked in the 25 yo age bracket … just PRIOR to GWS slaughtering the drafts.

unfortunately it's all becoming too generic though
AFL owns our jumper and song

we might bitch and moan about GWS like thyl but that's because we're pretty crap

I'll put forward the theory that if we were a great club we wouldn't worry too much about them

Yup should have stuck with one team per state and let that solidify and bond in with the populace before releasing a further two teams (one in each state more).

I remember Judd commenting at the time he thought 18 teams was too many for exactly that reason, the standard will be diluted !

I understand the concept of the expansion clubs, especially how much of a business the AFL has become, so eating into market share of competing sports was clearly their target

Unfortunately, if the AFL truly wanted to embrace and continue to nurture our great game, a side in Tasmania, a football heartland, should have been the number 1 priority.

There will come a time in the not to distant future, that the competition will return to 16 clubs

Last edited:
I understand the concept of the expansion clubs, especially how much of a business the AFL has become, so eating into market share of competing sports was clearly their target

Unfortunately, if the AFL truly wanted to embrace and continue to nurture our great game, a side in Tasmania, a football heartland, should have been the number 1 priority.

There will come a time in the not to distant future, that the competition will return to 16 clubs

That will more than likely come from attrition of the Victorian clubs. A Tassie team is a no brainer one would think. Local footy is so well supported down there.

Although I came across this article that is food for thought ….

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/5485540/crowd-talks-volumes/

Seems Tassie folk are maybe steering away from AFL fixtures there on protest?

Last edited:
However a Tassie team is not a good business choice when the AFL already has Noth and Hakk going there.
I have to listen to the supporters of GWS and Weazels here at work and they are always going on about how the media and anything AFl is so VICTORIA centric.

Personally I support Carlton and by default the competition they are in. I do not respect the AFL.
If Carlton joined the Ovens and Murray or the South Australian Football league I would still support Carlton and never watch another AFL game again.
Even if they joined the NRL or A League.

However a Tassie team is not a good business choice when the AFL already has Noth and Hakk going there.
I have to listen to the supporters of GWS and Weazels here at work and they are always going on about how the media and anything AFl is so VICTORIA centric.

Personally I support Carlton and by default the competition they are in. I do not respect the AFL.
If Carlton joined the Ovens and Murray or the South Australian Football league I would still support Carlton and never watch another AFL game again.

LOL one of the only heartlands of footy …. that doesn't have a team represented in the National League …… tell those supporters not to be so bloody precious hahahahaha

Amen..well said.:thumbsu:

edit..we could have played Yarrawonga and clobbered Fev :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back