Autopsy Rd 20 Blues never threatened in encouraging win

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 20 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots to like, a few take aways...

- No question LOB has more AFL attributes then Cottrell. Happy for him and I hope he continues to build on tonights game.

- I like Fisher with more time in the middle... with Cripps and Kennedy in there, Fisher gives us a point of difference. I like him ball hunting, and then using his speed and evasiveness.

- Honey. wow.... Betts has had a good season, much better then 2020, and I mean no disrespect, but I don't think he should go around again. Honey is the man.

- Silvagni's season has to be one of the big positives of 2021. We've seen it in glimpses, had a sense it was there. But he was last 4 - 5 games especially have proven this guy should be a 200 game player. He's a long way ahead of McGovern right now. If we end up with a functioning McKay, Curnow and Silvagni forward line, pressure is on McGovern to find a spot.

Lots to like, a few take aways...

- No question LOB has more AFL attributes then Cottrell. Happy for him and I hope he continues to build on tonights game.

- I like Fisher with more time in the middle... with Cripps and Kennedy in there, Fisher gives us a point of difference. I like him ball hunting, and then using his speed and evasiveness.

- Honey. wow.... Betts has had a good season, much better then 2020, and I mean no disrespect, but I don't think he should go around again. Honey is the man.

- Silvagni's season has to be one of the big positives of 2021. We've seen it in glimpses, had a sense it was there. But he was last 4 - 5 games especially have proven this guy should be a 200 game player. He's a long way ahead of McGovern right now. If we end up with a functioning McKay, Curnow and Silvagni forward line, pressure is on McGovern to find a spot.
Well said.

Watched it again -- whoever has been helping O'Brien and dow with there forward entry kicking deserves medal -- both players just sat the ball in front of the forward to softly move onto neither tried to drill holes in people -- was very nice to watch -- was critical of dow last week as wouldn't work when he couldn't impact the contest -- this week he really tried to work his arse off hopefully this will become his minimum effort - he keeps improving like this we won't need to add a
Cerra ..

I was against sps being dropped, but if it finally wakes him up am all for it.
also not a LOB fan but was very good today
His kicking has always been great, but he attacked the ball tonight like he never has
Honey was great
Lots to like
Teaguey may not be our man but he has had lots of injuries
They kept going on about the aints injuries and never said anything about ours
Long list of very important cogs in the plan injured this year
March bank aside, CC, gov, and very long list did affect the season
Dow and Kennedy have made a mess of the arguments against our development, have been very good for 6 weeks
Happy with the win and helicopter view looks good ATM
Tough decisions to be made but list , if healthy and desire is there, can be top 4 and even achieve ultimate success

Very serious. Upped his trade value maybe... SPS might be in the same boat. Hope they both make a Kennedy style recovery.

For whatever reason he’s been a bit of a whipping boy but thought LoB did very well. Only his third game in 2 years.

LoB’s disposal efficiency would’ve been very high tonight and he hit Harry lace out with 3 perfect inside 50 passes. Also filled the defensive gaps very nicely, not something you get a possession for but something that not enough of our players do.

That’s exactly what you want from a wingman. Excellent running and polish.

Kid’s still only 21 and will only improve. Not sure what you want in a trade, but if you’re looking for another wingman I’d be staying with LoB if he keeps going like he did tonight.

Also want to see Ramsay and Caroll play by years’ end. Not sure why guys like LoB, honey and Ramsay haven’t had more opportunity when you think of some of the others that the MC keeps persisting with.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not blame as such, but for a journo it would seem a natural progression from a question about, say, young players doing well tonight or whatever. And honestly I've got to cop to a bias in my framing - have always thought LOB had something and couldn't really work out why he always lost the LOB v Newnes or LOB v Cottrell discussions in match committee meetings (appreciate Cottrell has some BOG VFL performances recently) over the last 12 months or so.

Also, it's a real question for a coach that could have an interesting answer, instead of multiple questions about the review and Clarkson which I assume were asked hoping for a good soundbite

EDIT:

I selfishly wanted the journo to ask cos I'm curious, and anyway, it's not a (good) journalist's job to pump up confidence in a club - they should be asking difficult questions
In their view they did.

"What do you think about clarko being available ?"

"Can you tell us what's in the Review?"

Your question would have been far too articulate.

Has Carlton Underperformed or Overperformed this season?

Jimmy Bartel....
" people talk about Carlton like they are a top 4 team. What are they 13th? I think that's about right. They have conceeded more than 100 points 8 times this season and they don't do anything above the ordinary in any positive statistical category. I think they are playing to expectations."

He did go on to say he would stick with Teague and build around him. He thought with 3 all Australians, if we could add a defensive system and stop the goals from rebounds we would be much better.

I think that is the real assessment although we were better than normal tonight.
CB

Haven’t watched the entire game yet, only seen small patches but looks like a great win by the team, we’ll done 👍

From what I did see it appeared there was significant improvement in our effort & intensity to pressure all over the ground but most notably our mids finally looked to have a real appetite to chase & pressure.

Looking forward to Ross Lyon commentating about every player coming back from long term injury, despite having no specific knowledge of their circumstances.

Oh wait, he only does it if he thinks he might be a chance to be the senior coach of that club the next year? But wouldn't that be abusing your position in the media?

A lot to like about the win. Charlie on one leg takes a backman and makes his team mates stand tall.
Honey brings heat
Obrien let's see against a side that turns up like Port.
Not sure St kilda brought pressure or really turned up today.
Still a wins a win
So you single out Lob ...lol..
Can't say I'm shocked to be sitting here

Things Clarko said while watching the game:

“I can’t wait to start working with Josh Honey.”
“I wouldn’t put Weitering on a guy sitting on 99 goals” (quarter time)
“I’d absolutely put Weitering on a guy sitting on 99 goals” (after quarter time)
“I reckon Liam Stocker could break a guy’s jaw behind play”
“Must ring Walsh’s manager to talk about a post-career coaching transition”
“I could probably punch a wall somewhere near Nic Newman

I fear losing more players to injury. TDK pec muscle injury I going to assume.
Jack Silvagni looked sore hobbling into rooms after the game.
Corey Durdin to debut next week in the ruck is how we looking for ruck options.

Kick straight at goals, you win. Good to see.
It was a game of 13th and 12th on ladder playing to decide who at moment, is getting out of bottom six on ladder.
Least it was a step in right direction to see Honey and O'Brien playing out there and Charlie Curnow another four quarters on field to get a feel for footy games again. I literally think we are almost down to picking a 22 on bodies available on list now. No way are any of Silvagni, TDK, Murphy and Cripps close to 100%. Least Harry got up and played tonight as would have been a shambles to have Charlie have to be the only key forward out there still just building any match fitness and feel after over 18 months on sidelines. Walsh a bit more on wing was good to see as allowed more of Kennedy and Dow in centre square and finally Ed Curnow seems out of there most of time so can finally properly develop Dow in centre square where he should be.
O'Brien has to play out season in side and same with Honey.

If TDK and Silvagni do not play next week Liam Jones going to have to ruck and whatever state Mitch McGovern is in, he just going to have to put his hand up to play down back so we can use Jones in the ruck.

Why can’t Mitch ruck and leave Jines where he’s been good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back