Autopsy Rd 20 Blues never threatened in encouraging win

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 20 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

JSOS what a game...
(25 Touches, 1 Goal, 68% by foot, 6 Clearances, 9 Tackles, 5 marks, 3 Inside 50's, 5 Score Involvements)

Maybe his a midfielder that isn't good enough to push our full time midfielders out..
Could be a good, 2nd ruck or 5th Midfielder...
To think that he played on Fyffe and Oliver a couple of years ago and beat them but Teague & Barker didn’t play him midfield again.

Great win! Just don't get this side at times. MC have been putrid all year and hopefully the review highlights that big time. LOB being out for so long whilst every other remotely possible person played on the wing just magnifies this point.

Really happy for the win and for Teague but the cynic in me thinks that the boys know a new coach is coming now and so are playing for him now. Want to show their worth so to speak.

Teague too has been his own worst enemy selecting his favourites and being stubborn with his game plan.

There are a couple of drinks sweeter but drinking the tears of St kinda fans is definitely up there!

Walsh, Harry, Jones, Weiterbot and JSOS take a bow .... Cripps better, less Hollywood more skipper

also not a LOB fan but was very good today
His kicking has always been great, but he attacked the ball tonight like he never has

LOB got absolutely polaxed by a Steele tackle in the 4th(?) but got up fairly quickly. His body may now be ready to withstand seasoned AFL men, which may be the reason confidence looks there for him.

For whatever reason he’s been a bit of a whipping boy but thought LoB did very well. Only his third game in 2 years.

LoB’s disposal efficiency would’ve been very high tonight and he hit Harry lace out with 3 perfect inside 50 passes. Also filled the defensive gaps very nicely, not something you get a possession for but something that not enough of our players do.

That’s exactly what you want from a wingman. Excellent running and polish.

Kid’s still only 21 and will only improve. Not sure what you want in a trade, but if you’re looking for another wingman I’d be staying with LoB if he keeps going like he did tonight.

Also want to see Ramsay and Caroll play by years’ end. Not sure why guys like LoB, honey and Ramsay haven’t had more opportunity when you think of some of the others that the MC keeps persisting with.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
E.g. Why does Newnes still get a game over the youngsters?

He's such a frustrating player.

Really liked LoB's game and would like to see him play well at least 2/3 times for the rest of the year to cement himself. He fills a gap in our list and is just world's better than cottrell/newnes/williamson as a wingman.

Funnily enough the forwardline last night is what I see as our best 6 moving forward:

Harry Charlie the twin towers
JSOS the third tall (and now the resting ruckman for TDK!)
Martin/Honey/Owies as the smalls/quicks.

Funnily enough the forwardline last night is what I see as our best 6 moving forward:

Agreed. Only peak McGovern replaces any of those, and I’ve seen that maybe twice at Carlton.

St Kilda‘s effort was very reminiscent of us at our worst, but nice to see the Baggers put something good together! It feels like a long time since I could watch the rest of the weekends footy all warm and fuzzy that the Blues have already banked a win.

My call outs:

Walsh is phenomenal.
JSOS effort was simply tremendous as stop gap ruck.
Cripps busy enough given he’s clearly not fit.
Weitering excellent as usual after a wobbly start (King seems to give him more trouble than anyone else).
Dow - hello Paddy Dow! Has he finally arrived? Great, especially the 3 or 4 low, accurate darts he sent inside 50 that directly set up scores.
Honey really brought some energy and speed to the forward line. Between him and Owies we might actually have something.
Big H. Sealed the Coleman and probably could have had 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those of you who are fair weather supporters are deplorable. You pile on Murphy at the end of his career and have no memory or gratitude for all the great things he has done for this Club. He could’ve left in 2015 but he remained loyal. Shame on you misfits.

exactly mate they seem to suffer memory loss in regards to Murph has been a loyal servant of this club

They will find someone else to vent on when he’s gone no doubt

Crippa was great again, but I was mostly glad to see him put through the set shot. If he can overcome his mental side for those it'll make him such a weapon in 2022.

His body will heal. For him moving forward he needs to approach each game trying to be the best leader he can. His performance will follow. He doesn’t NEED to get 35 touches (though he still can). He certainly doesn’t need to run around guys on the mark (which he never could, god knows why he thinks he can). He just needs to win the ball, dish it out, lay serious physical pressure (use his gifts) and LEAD.
Like him or not, he needs to follow Trent Cotchin‘s example of star player to captain transformation. I think he will and the team will be better for it.
Calmly kicking goals when the opportunity presents is a good start!

Best win for the year, comfortably.

So many positives, but off the top of my head:

LOB’s best game for the club. Beautiful delivery inside 50, was physical when he needed to be, and looked every part an AFL player who’s not just a cog but actually a guy when can build around.

Martin’s physicality and pressure in the first quarter set the tone, and it continued all night.

Dow continues to impress as a midfielder, and if last week wasn’t also his best game for the club then today certainly was. Our 2017 draft haul all of a sudden is actually looking pretty reasonable. Long way to go, but these guys are looking impressive, and maybe we are just watching 4pm on a slow burn? It’s really exciting.

Honey looks comfortable at AFL level. Set up three or four and kicked a couple himself. That forwardline finally looks potent, and has a good balance of goal kickers, pressure players and a couple of clinical key pillars.

Whoever inherits this team next year is going to have a party.

E.g. Why does Newnes still get a game over the youngsters?

He's such a frustrating player.

Really liked LoB's game and would like to see him play well at least 2/3 times for the rest of the year to cement himself. He fills a gap in our list and is just world's better than cottrell/newnes/williamson as a wingman.

Players like Newnes and Newman are just there for the now will be pushed out soon by the younger players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

50 tackles in the first half set us up. The intensity was clearly evident and we looked good with our pressure. This has to be the minimum each week.

Been advocating for LOB for a while so stoked with how he played. A few more weeks and his belief will grow and hopefully we see even more from him. His running was brilliant today, even when he wasn't used.

Think Dow had an even better 'team' game today than prior weeks and is really growing into a reliable hard working mid. Now getting involved around the ground as a link player instead of just at stoppages. And how good has his I50 entries been!

JSOS was unbelievable.

Owies hasn't had his best patch of form this past month. But despite missing the first 6 games, he still sits third on our goal kicking tally.

What is perplexing is that he was supposed to be managed last week but ultimately wasn't. Then selected this week off the back of probably not wanting to make more than 4 changes and we had a couple of worse performers last week who had to go out.

Will he be "managed" next week against the Suns?

Dow still improving. Unbelievable the turnaround from him!

And Bam Bam Kennedy! He's what we wanted Setters to become plus good forward craft.

Damn son!

10 tackles, the most of any player on our team. JSOS close 2nd with the 9.

These two in the middle when the going gets tough from now on. You just know they will compete.

Back