Preview Rd 20: Changes against the Port - Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Briggs must come in to replace the heroic but battered Mummy.

That being the case, I would imagine Leon is going to want to play it very safe with selection elsewhere - going to his well-worn magnets on the board including MdB.

I suspect Phil shouldn’t play but courageously will, ‘19 GF style.

Which has me wondering if TOJ may be handed the substitutes vest as tall cover for losing Phil/Slammer or Briggs or Hogan/HH intra-game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
On reflection phil has to play

they have three talls with genuine height and we need him

What about playing riccardi, or rest davis if he needs it, or go all in to win this game with a plan to rest some players against Geelong to ensure we are at full strength for the last 2 rounds.

Yep, it’s something like that I believe.

To play finals we most likely need to win 3 of 4 including vs Tigers, which effectively means every game is an elimination final (except vs Cats which we can afford to drop).

That being the case, Leon has to throw the kitchen sink at Port.

Re Riccardi, my understanding is that he’s pencilled in as a regular AFL KPF for 2022 - but the Coaches don’t believe he’s ready yet.

It just seems our of character for Leon to take a punt.

So TOJ appears ahead in the pecking order.

Re Phil, I expect to see him wheeled out under duress like Mummy last week. If we beat Port - a big if - then maybe he gets rested for the Cats.

Briggs is an interesting one too.

My guess is he plays Port and Cats. If we win one of those and are still alive, then - unless Briggs is playing a blinder - Mummy returns for the prospective match-of-the-season vs Tigers.

I am sure the team will go all out to win this weekend but I cant see finals happening this year with the losses v the Suns and Hawks and also the North draw being the 3 wins the club that would have made this team a finals side, it is also something the coaches and senior players can point out to the players as to the difference to where the team is and where they need to be next year. Other factors come into it but those losses hurt the clubs finals chances and also showed where the team is at imo
Plenty of positives for this season but the club needs to get signed contracts from Hopper and Kelly to be in finals contention next year otherwise it will be a wasted year

Team for this week

Perryman Davis Haynes
Cumming Taylor Idun
Kelly Ward Whitfield
Greene HH Coniglio
Daniels Hogan Lloyd
Mumford Hopper Taranto
Green Reid Ash TOJ

Hoping to see a 4 quarter performance v Port and a chance of a win if a lot of things go right but it will be a hard game

we’re facing an underwhelming team?

soooo, chalk it up as a loss then.
But they're ahead of us on the ladder!

I've already pencilled it in as a win.

I'm figuring now that it will be:
  • Greene for Bruhn
  • Coniglio for Kennedy (Cogs plays mainly forward, Taranto back into the centre, Ash goes back or onto a wing with Whitfield going to half back)
& perhaps:
  • Briggs for Mummy ... if he's too banged up
  • & maybe ... Finlayson for O'Halloran, if we're worried about Mummy being banged up, or if Briggs comes in

I have a feeling we might be sent back to Mars.

If we have to travel back to Vic, that may be our least bad option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, gotta laugh (or grimace). Our second home ground is in the safest city on the mainland ... but we're probably going to pack up & fly into the second most infected capital city (missing out on reuniting with family!!) just ços ...

Do we think there may be a chance the ACT government may be concerned about players and staff coming in, and the possibility of what happened with the Derby ?

I’m wondering whether it’s not who we are thinking pushing back

Do they risk their great Covid run for a footy match ?

Do we think there may be a chance the ACT government may be concerned about players and staff coming in, and the possibility of what happened with the Derby ?

Fairly certain ACT isn’t the problem but the Vic gov.

I read on the port board that they will need to quarantine for 2 days in Melbourne, then fly to QLD, fly back to Adelaide after the game. We might have a game against a team more inconvenienced than us for a change. If not for covid, I would have liked a weekend away to Canberra to watch at Manuka, but I am guessing the players would now just prefer to remain on gold coast, not have the hassle of flying to Canberra on game day.
Does anybody think we might play Richmond in Canberra though, perhaps only if nsw country, qld and Vic all do very well covid wise over the next couple of weeks.

ACT government wants the game.
they’ve been pi$$ed that borders have been closed to them “We’re NOT NSW, we’re not even close to Sydney, we haven’t had a case in over 12 months. There should be no travel restrictions (except from Sydney)”

There is absolutely no problem with the ACT government.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back