Autopsy Rd 20 - Dockers smash Sth Freo Cats by 34

Cerra was very good yesterday, that was one of my main positives from the match. He hasn't looked like it for a while but yesterday there were similar signs to his breakout RS game last year. Seemed to really want to be involved and take the game on. He is a very classy mover.
His ball use was back.

Geelong tried spreading the bounce out to give Kelly, Danger et al a better one on one go at the ball... But they didn't have a contest in the ruck so Sandi could put it to our advantage.

Kelly is a stoppage player, he would be for us, but Aaron was revved up yesterday.

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Today was the best the crowd has been in years. I felt part of something as opposed to the lone soldier feeling I normally have. That level of cheering, booing sh!t calls by the umps and the camaraderie was top notch. The result was a bonus!!!!

Felt this too, it was like the size of the crowd didn't matter because the ones who were there are the passionate ones who turn up every week even though we were all expecting a different result! the vibe was amazing, and the standing ovations at 1/2 time and 3/4 time and the passion shown from the crowd at the umps in the second quarter gave me goosebumps. I bloody love this club!!!!

Felt this too, it was like the size of the crowd didn't matter because the ones who were there are the passionate ones who turn up every week even though we were all expecting a different result! the vibe was amazing, and the standing ovations at 1/2 time and 3/4 time and the passion shown from the crowd at the umps in the second quarter gave me goosebumps. I bloody love this club!!!!
...And the dead silence when the cats kicked that goal in the fourth.

You could hear a mouse fart across a field it was silent

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was one passage of play near the 3rd quarter that almost left me speechless. Carter on the run kicked a perfect ball down the wing which Hughes got on the end of. Hughes kept running and kicked absolutely lace out to Matera in the pocket. The kick went perfectly over the head of the Cats defenders and landed on Matera's chest.

What has kept me in the pro Hughes camp is his exceptional athleticism. Guys that size that can read the ball in the air and take a strong intercept mark are gold. He almost always is involved in a few one on one hard ground ball gets and never takes a backward step. Clearly we know now he can make good decisions and execute.
I can't remember who first compared him to Ibbotson (I think it was me but could be wrong) but this is a comparison that will persist. Many similar attributes and unfortunately some of the failings but he is never going to called soft, except by those who don't watch closely enough.

A really fine game by Ethan yesterday.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was great to see so much passion and fight from the players. The energy and endeavour was first rate. Loved what the youngsters brought, especially a bit of pace around the ground.

This sort of effort needs to become more of the norm and we’d all be happy supporters. Add in to that a higher kicking skill level and we’d be close to a premiership chance.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
That was a great win with two things to really like:

- we just payed with intent. That makes us difficult to play against, which makes it easier for us to do what we want to do. A big part of that was 23 tackles from Switta, Banfield, Carter and Crowden

- our presentation forward of the ball was just so much better than previous weeks (at home). Our deepest forwards stayed deeper and weren't getting sucked up the ground as much. Consequently we "stretched" the ground, had more (visible?) targets forward of the ball. We honoured leads more, often taking the short kick they oppo "gave" us which helped our ball rentention

Why was that? Less running pressure from the oppo? Players better at following pre-existing instructions? Changes in tactics -- or in the messaging of existing tactics?

Probs a little but of all three.

But none of it depends on "talent" which makes the appalling sh!t-show of the previous six weeks more disappointing. This list has thus kind of performance in it all the time. The club needs to get better at harnessing the talent we have

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
That was a great win with two things to really like:

- we just payed with intent. That makes us difficult to play against, which makes it easier for us to do what we want to do. A big part of that was 23 tackles from Switta, Banfield, Carter and Crowden

- our presentation forward of the ball was just so much better than previous weeks (at home). Our deepest forwards stayed deeper and weren't getting sucked up the ground as much. Consequently we "stretched" the ground, had more (visible?) targets forward of the ball. We honoured leads more, often taking the short kick they oppo "gave" us which helped our ball rentention

Why was that? Less running pressure from the oppo? Players better at following pre-existing instructions? Changes in tactics -- or in the messaging of existing tactics?

Probs a little but of all three.

But none of it depends on "talent" which makes the appalling sh!t-show of the previous six weeks more disappointing. This list has thus kind of performance in it all the time. The club needs to get better at harnessing the talent we have
Great win and I agree with what you've said.

Most of those players with tackling pressure you've mentioned were't in the team over the last 6 weeks and we kept injured players instead. I'd add tough tackling Nyhuis as well who would have given us a tight one on one in games we lost where someone got off the chain as well.

Dropping Wilson, Lobb and Hogan should have happened when they were first injured instead of juicing them up on pain killing injections. This seems to have been club policy until getting called out by Colin Young and both Wilson and Lobb dropped for injury despite not being on the injury list.

Playing injured like that is not good for the player long term although they feel pressured to play and they can't kick if the injury is in the foot if they have injections. Successful clubs don't do this as a policy and look what happens when we replaced them with fit players who perhaps weren't as talented!

Last edited:

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
You would be referring to the Earth Quake paradise that is Hualian? Jilan or yilan is also great with a brilliant night market.
I am currently based in Taitung. The rift valley and the east coast within 50km north of Taitung is sensational.

Did the ladder predictor....
We are a sneaky chance to play finals here....
Dont wanna jinx anything but.....
Interesting end to the season.
Dare to dream :)
Given the run home some of the other sides have, we are very much a chance to sneak in but we need to keep winning. If we’re good enough we’ll make it

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Given the run home some of the other sides have, we are very much a chance to sneak in but we need to keep winning. If we’re good enough we’ll make it
I don’t think we will make it and I’m still pretty unclear whether it’s a good thing or not if we do-(with so many out for the year it could be a finals thrashing and I’m not sure that’s in the best interests of a young team.

That said with all the media hyperbole and witch hunting in its most aggressive form from a Cleary agenda driven P.O.V(eagle loving flogs), it’d be interesting to see their reaction if we did make it , considering all the s**t we’ve had to deal with this year.

One things for sure you won’t see any of the utter grubs admit they got it wrong

Last edited:

332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
Percentage will likely keep us out of finals.
Correct but anyone who can't see a trend needs to take note:

Freo's % at end of season under Lyon:
2012 - 115.7%
2013 - 134.1%
2014 - 130.4%
2015 - 118.7%
2016 - 74.3%
2017 - 74.4%
2018 - 76.2%
2019 (rd20) - 95.8%

We are trending back in the right direction, the %'s don't lie. Looking forward to 2020

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Did anyone actually rate his game? I thought he looked bored. Does what he needs to and not much else. Wouldn't be paying big $ for him thats for sure.
Lazy as defensively. Sandi took his easy ruck taps out of it. Didn’t want to match up once our rucks dominated. Seems to float around waiting for his team mates to do the hard work.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Geelong tried spreading the bounce out to give Kelly, Danger et al a better one on one go at the ball... But they didn't have a contest in the ruck so Sandi could put it to our advantage.

Kelly is a stoppage player, he would be for us, but Aaron was revved up yesterday.
Exactly. They just couldn’t set up offensively when Sandi just kept tapping/punching away from the stoppages and into our forwards. Dangerfield, Selwood were surprisingly quite easy pushovers yesterday. Just didn’t think they were going to get it this hard. So underprepared it seemed

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
There was one passage of play near the 3rd quarter that almost left me speechless. Carter on the run kicked a perfect ball down the wing which Hughes got on the end of. Hughes kept running and kicked absolutely lace out to Matera in the pocket. The kick went perfectly over the head of the Cats defenders and landed on Matera's chest.

What has kept me in the pro Hughes camp is his exceptional athleticism. Guys that size that can read the ball in the air and take a strong intercept mark are gold. He almost always is involved in a few one on one hard ground ball gets and never takes a backward step. Clearly we know now he can make good decisions and execute.
I can't remember who first compared him to Ibbotson (I think it was me but could be wrong) but this is a comparison that will persist. Many similar attributes and unfortunately some of the failings but he is never going to called soft, except by those who don't watch closely enough.

There was another passage of play where he received a quick handball at the back of a pack, dummied past an oncoming Geelong player and hit Switkowski lace out on the edge of the 50. I honestly didn't think he had that kind of skill in his locker.

If he can just cut down those errors arising from a lack of composure, we'll have a serious player on our hands. The Ibbo comparison is very apt.

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Just been watching the last quarter on Fox, took the opportunity to watch the play rather than the game. Noticed we were never flat footed, always moving, always covering. We were amazingly good by foot for most of it. The job Cuddles was doing on Duncan should not go un noticed. Shut him right out of the game. Cerra, back to his silky self, Sam the 1%er Switkowski, had no regard for his own body. Shultz and Mitch while they were not always kicking a goal or seen to be always in the play were playing good accountable footy. Not much not to like.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

He was best on in the third quarter. Fyfe was jealous so he thought to better it. Hughes was just sublime. He looked more composed, relaxed. Be interesting if he was told to trust himself, calm down a bit, because he was just on that peak yesterday. Sidestepped Ablett and just knew what he was doing.
He take out his worst stuff, he’s a definite 22. As for Ibbo comparisons, he’s ah upgrade/ different positions. Ryan would be more of the better comparison with his marking. Hughes goes in hard and can run. Ibbo was a see ball mark ball type. Not particularly quick nor decision making elite.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Just been watching the last quarter on Fox, took the opportunity to watch the play rather than the game. Noticed we were never flat footed, always moving, always covering. We were amazingly good by foot for most of it. The job Cuddles was doing on Duncan should not go un noticed. Shut him right out of the game. Cerra, back to his silky self, Sam the 1%er Switkowski, had no regard for his own body. Shultz and Mitch while they were not always kicking a goal or seen to be always in the play were playing good accountable footy. Not much not to like.

Schulz has been performing solidly for Peel, even with a couple of goals. He’s actually a solid guy with some speed. Loves to lead into the corridor which was great to see. Got involved in a lot of scoring chains

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
He was best on in the third quarter. Fyfe was jealous so he thought to better it. Hughes was just sublime. He looked more composed, relaxed. Be interesting if he was told to trust himself, calm down a bit, because he was just on that peak yesterday. Sidestepped Ablett and just knew what he was doing.
He take out his worst stuff, he’s a definite 22. As for Ibbo comparisons, he’s ah upgrade/ different positions. Ryan would be more of the better comparison with his marking. Hughes goes in hard and can run. Ibbo was a see ball mark ball type. Not particularly quick nor decision making elite.
I remember some stat about hughes has one of the highest intercept mark to score ratio can remember where i saw it though.
In other words when he does intercept mark its in far more dangerous positions than other intercept marking defenders.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I remember some stat about hughes has one of the highest intercept mark to score ratio can remember where i saw it though.
In other words when he does intercept mark its in far more dangerous positions than other intercept marking defenders.
He and Duman are two of our defenders who get mentioned as potentially playing on the wing if we lose either of Langdon or BHill, and our injured defenders come back into the side. I'm not sure if they are realistic options or not, but I can see the logic, plus I see some potential in Logue doing that as well. The list does loom as defender heavy, although a little unbalanced in its' make up.

With those 3 I don't quite see the footy smarts that fits that role for me, but they do have other attributes. Hoping Sturt can become an option in 2020.

Back