Autopsy Rd 20 The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering is in very dangerous territory if he doesn't find intent
Opposition coaches will play through him and put more pressure on him than you blokes think a guy on a board is lol ( silly) hilarious
And the more they look for chinks in his game the more they're going to squeeze
The more they squeeze the more pressure will be on our number

Yeah but you don't judge yourself against where you were last year.
You judge yourself against the competition
The overall competition is lower standard this year
And we're a chance of the spoon
To me the lower clubs have improved and the better clubs have fallen somewhat
But we feel We're improving but I would say Essendon, GC and Brisbane etc think the same
Bottom line is we have slipped compared to the team's around us and we do need to start making up ground. There's only so much poor ladder measures the club can absorb

The overall competition is better this year imo, certainly in the 15th - 8th range. Of the teams that finished below us last year, all bar Brisbane were teams with a better list/more mature profile who we're having horrible years, whether it was because of injuries (GC and Freo) or loldrugz (Bombers). We were always going to 'slip' because the teams behind us were already older and better.

We are noticeably better this year and we only finished better last year due to a few team having significant issues.

Had the pleasure of watching this game from deep inside the Essendon members area, it was an interesting experience to say the least. When we hit the front in the last, you could hear a pin drop around me. I roared out in delight, stood up and applauded loudly which forced the two odd-bods in front of me to move seats.

As for the actual game, that was really horrible to watch, I have never seen that many skills errors and sideways play in my life. At one stage I thought some of their players were wearing navy blue jumpers we were hitting them on the chest so often. If that was an advertisement for our great game, we would of lost customers on Saturday.

If that is the best Essendon has to offer, then they are not worthy of playing finals. Mind you, their members were jumping around high-fiving & rejoicing like they had won a final when the final siren went. Bugger me, I would of been embarrassed to cheer if we had just got out of jail against the team second last on the ladder.

They flew out of the blocks in the first and a massive spanking was on the cards especially with Daniher looking like he was going to kick a massive bag. Thankfully, we dragged them down to our level after quarter time and they had no idea how to combat that, from there we were able to grind our way back somehow and give them a massive scare.

Matty Kreuzer & Liam Jones were able to hold their heads high, they were sensational, gave 100% for the complete game and were never beaten at all. Sadly, they were the only shining lights IMO.

Armfield ....... well he announced his retirement today which makes it a better way for him to finish, he tried manfully but was not able to contribute as much as he would of liked and was out of his depth.

Casboult ..... if another club offers you a contract, take the bloody thing !! Any KPF who puts his hand out for $750K per annum just has to kick the clutch goals late in the game, especially from 30m out. We cannot persist with him any further.

Gibbs ...... struggled to find him in the first half, looked like he was in 'protection" mode, has a trade deal been done already ??

Lamb ...... just doesn't hurt the opposition enough, strangely enough, he was being shadowed by Pretzels Goddard who didn't fare much better.

Silvagni ..... I have some alarm bells ringing now, hate to say that but I may have to start a separate thread started about him.

Kerridge ..... didn't butcher it like many people seem to think he does, wasn't our worst.

Simpson ...... gee, there were some bad errors and at times he looked a tad slow, might be the beginning of the end which many would not have thought a few weeks ago.

Marchbank .... he had a day he'd rather forget, looked flatfooted and indecisive which is uncharacteristic

Weitering ...... gee, he looked tired and worn out, its been a tough year for him physically but he still did some okay stuff.

Curnow ..... looked like he was going to rip the game apart at times but never fully delivered, he will be a gem in a couple of years time.

Smedts ...... he looked lost, I think this experiment will be a fizzer.

Pickett ..... kept giving you hope of something special but was left still waiting, don't know what his best position is and neither does he, can run like a hare and his chase down & tackle on Walla typified some great fighting spirit, jury is well & truly out at present.

Plowman ...... was okay, did some good stuff and then made some errors, should of put one on Merrett's chin for that cheap shot in the guts though.

Boekhorst ........ bzzzt, your time us up.

SPS ..... clearly in need of a full pre-season, another who looks a tad burnt out late in the season but has the freakish skills to go with his fighting efforts.

Wright ..... made the most of limited opportunities.

Docherty ...... strange game from him, not as dominant as in the previous weeks but certainly had a presence.

Murphy ....... had plenty of the pill but didn't seem to hurt the opposition enough.

Thomas ..... meh, so-so.

Fisher ...... fights it out like a junkyard dog but he was another bit-part player on the day.

Had the pleasure of watching this game from deep inside the Essendon members area, it was an interesting experience to say the least. When we hit the front in the last, you could hear a pin drop around me. I roared out in delight, stood up and applauded loudly which forced the two odd-bods in front of me to move seats.

As for the actual game, that was really horrible to watch, I have never seen that many skills errors and sideways play in my life. At one stage I thought some of their players were wearing navy blue jumpers we were hitting them on the chest so often. If that was an advertisement for our great game, we would of lost customers on Saturday.

If that is the best Essendon has to offer, then they are not worthy of playing finals. Mind you, their members were jumping around high-fiving & rejoicing like they had won a final when the final siren went. Bugger me, I would of been embarrassed to cheer if we had just got out of jail against the team second last on the ladder.

They flew out of the blocks in the first and a massive spanking was on the cards especially with Daniher looking like he was going to kick a massive bag. Thankfully, we dragged them down to our level after quarter time and they had no idea how to combat that, from there we were able to grind our way back somehow and give them a massive scare.

Matty Kreuzer & Liam Jones were able to hold their heads high, they were sensational, gave 100% for the complete game and were never beaten at all. Sadly, they were the only shining lights IMO.

Armfield ....... well he announced his retirement today which makes it a better way for him to finish, he tried manfully but was not able to contribute as much as he would of liked and was out of his depth.

Casboult ..... if another club offers you a contract, take the bloody thing !! Any KPF who puts his hand out for $750K per annum just has to kick the clutch goals late in the game, especially from 30m out. We cannot persist with him any further.

Gibbs ...... struggled to find him in the first half, looked like he was in 'protection" mode, has a trade deal been done already ??

Lamb ...... just doesn't hurt the opposition enough, strangely enough, he was being shadowed by Pretzels Goddard who didn't fare much better.

Silvagni ..... I have some alarm bells ringing now, hate to say that but I may have to start a separate thread started about him.

Kerridge ..... didn't butcher it like many people seem to think he does, wasn't our worst.

Simpson ...... gee, there were some bad errors and at times he looked a tad slow, might be the beginning of the end which many would not have thought a few weeks ago.

Marchbank .... he had a day he'd rather forget, looked flatfooted and indecisive which is uncharacteristic

Weitering ...... gee, he looked tired and worn out, its been a tough year for him physically but he still did some okay stuff.

Curnow ..... looked like he was going to rip the game apart at times but never fully delivered, he will be a gem in a couple of years time.

Pickett ..... kept giving you hope of something special but was left still waiting, don't know what his best position is and neither does he, can run like a hare and his chase down & tackle on Walla typified some great fighting spirit, jury is well & truly out at present.

Plowman ...... was okay, did some good stuff and then made some errors, should of put one on Merrett's chin for that cheap shot in the guts though.

SPS ..... clearly in need of a full pre-season, another who looks a tad burnt out late in the season but has the freakish skills to go with his fighting efforts.

Docherty ...... strange game from him, not as dominant as in the previous weeks but certainly had a presence.

Murphy ....... had plenty of the pill but didn't seem to hurt the opposition enough.

Thomas ..... meh, so-so.

Fisher ...... fights it out like a junkyard dog but he was another bit-part player on the day.

I read that sentence as; "Had the pleasure of watching this game from deep inside a Essendon members arse" and thought.........Yeah!!! :)

How do you think your anal-ysis would have read should have Casboult kicked that goal he should have and we had have won?

I read that sentence as; "Had the pleasure of watching this game from deep inside a Essendon members arse" and thought.........Yeah!!! :)

How do you think your anal-ysis would have read should have Casboult kicked that goal he should have and we had have won?
Hell of a lot different, probably still play devils advocate though.

Thomas ..... meh, so-so.

Re SPS and Fish

Both have come through the junior grades as ball hunters. Bolts has clearly had them play a pressure / defence first game all year.

I genuinely believe that Bolts plan is to develop all round mids.

These boys have been terrific in their first year but my sense is that it has been education first results second.

They will both be great servants for Carlton once the education is complete and shackles are released.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Re SPS and Fish

Both have come through the junior grades as ball hunters. Bolts has clearly had them play a pressure / defence first game all year.
These boys have been terrific in their first year but my sense is that it has been education first results second.
They will both be great servants for Carlton once the education is complete and shackles are released.

Nice. :thumbsu:

Would have liked to have put that forward as succinctly and eloquently.

Just saying that we had very much a second string team against their best.

You have to put apples up with apples, as we didn't have a midfield from the onset.

I know we had one of our weakest line-ups out there hence the reason why I said their supporters should of been embarrassed by that performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice. :thumbsu:

Would have liked to have put that forward as succinctly and eloquently.

Thanks Harker. Praise from a vet is great for a newb

About Fish, right now he is struggling to carry the ball. One hand on him and he is shot. But for those who watch have a look at the angles the boy runs, he is instinctive and clean.
Put 7 to 10 kgs on him and he is through and open. Natural and in time complete player.

Thanks Harker. Praise from a vet is great for a newb

About Fish, right now he is struggling to carry the ball. One hand on him and he is shot. But for those who watch have a look at the angles the boy runs, he is instinctive and clean.
Put 7 to 10 kgs on him and he is through and open. Natural and in time complete player.

I like your language and vision and 18 posts vs 50K, accounts for nothing. Don't be a stranger. :)

Re SPS and Fish

Couldn't agree more.

We lack at least one quality small at each end of the field

Agree. Improved midfield will help. Like to see Cripps Murphy Cuningham SPS Polson etc all rotate through the forwrad line. A fitter Pickett will help and a settled LeBois will help. More runners and better ball users in the side and we will improve greatly.

Last edited:
I remember when young key position players were left in the 2s to develop until they were at least 21 and physically ready. Nobody cared.

Now they're 19 in their second year and people complain because they're not elite already.

Totally agree. Also now play a completely different role. Need to run all over the ground, defend hard, play to patterns and sometimes ruck. A lot to learn.

Agree.

We need to find our own Neville Jetta.

He is so underrated - absolutely slaughtered Robbie Gray (one of best one-on-one players in the the league) a couple of weeks ago.

These types of guys are huge value to a team.

Still like to see Lamb have a go in that role. 180cm, tough and good ball user.

Thomas ..... meh, so-so.

Reading that you would think we would have lost by plenty (almost all our players were either not up to it or played well below their best) YET we nearly won. And Essendon are a quality team. So where does that leave our list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back