Autopsy Rd 20 The one that got away

Remove this Banner Ad

Had the pleasure of watching this game from deep inside the Essendon members area, it was an interesting experience to say the least. When we hit the front in the last, you could hear a pin drop around me. I roared out in delight, stood up and applauded loudly which forced the two odd-bods in front of me to move seats.

As for the actual game, that was really horrible to watch, I have never seen that many skills errors and sideways play in my life. At one stage I thought some of their players were wearing navy blue jumpers we were hitting them on the chest so often. If that was an advertisement for our great game, we would of lost customers on Saturday.

If that is the best Essendon has to offer, then they are not worthy of playing finals. Mind you, their members were jumping around high-fiving & rejoicing like they had won a final when the final siren went. Bugger me, I would of been embarrassed to cheer if we had just got out of jail against the team second last on the ladder.

They flew out of the blocks in the first and a massive spanking was on the cards especially with Daniher looking like he was going to kick a massive bag. Thankfully, we dragged them down to our level after quarter time and they had no idea how to combat that, from there we were able to grind our way back somehow and give them a massive scare.

Matty Kreuzer & Liam Jones were able to hold their heads high, they were sensational, gave 100% for the complete game and were never beaten at all. Sadly, they were the only shining lights IMO.

Armfield ....... well he announced his retirement today which makes it a better way for him to finish, he tried manfully but was not able to contribute as much as he would of liked and was out of his depth.

Casboult ..... if another club offers you a contract, take the bloody thing !! Any KPF who puts his hand out for $750K per annum just has to kick the clutch goals late in the game, especially from 30m out. We cannot persist with him any further.

Gibbs ...... struggled to find him in the first half, looked like he was in 'protection" mode, has a trade deal been done already ??

Lamb ...... just doesn't hurt the opposition enough, strangely enough, he was being shadowed by Pretzels Goddard who didn't fare much better.

Silvagni ..... I have some alarm bells ringing now, hate to say that but I may have to start a separate thread started about him.

Kerridge ..... didn't butcher it like many people seem to think he does, wasn't our worst.

Simpson ...... gee, there were some bad errors and at times he looked a tad slow, might be the beginning of the end which many would not have thought a few weeks ago.

Marchbank .... he had a day he'd rather forget, looked flatfooted and indecisive which is uncharacteristic

Weitering ...... gee, he looked tired and worn out, its been a tough year for him physically but he still did some okay stuff.

Curnow ..... looked like he was going to rip the game apart at times but never fully delivered, he will be a gem in a couple of years time.

Smedts ...... he looked lost, I think this experiment will be a fizzer.

Pickett ..... kept giving you hope of something special but was left still waiting, don't know what his best position is and neither does he, can run like a hare and his chase down & tackle on Walla typified some great fighting spirit, jury is well & truly out at present.

Plowman ...... was okay, did some good stuff and then made some errors, should of put one on Merrett's chin for that cheap shot in the guts though.

Boekhorst ........ bzzzt, your time us up.

SPS ..... clearly in need of a full pre-season, another who looks a tad burnt out late in the season but has the freakish skills to go with his fighting efforts.

Wright ..... made the most of limited opportunities.

Docherty ...... strange game from him, not as dominant as in the previous weeks but certainly had a presence.

Murphy ....... had plenty of the pill but didn't seem to hurt the opposition enough.

Thomas ..... meh, so-so.

Fisher ...... fights it out like a junkyard dog but he was another bit-part player on the day.
Only question i have is do you have information that Casboult has asked for 750K? Because that is an outrageous figure you have stated if not ?

I remember when young key position players were left in the 2s to develop until they were at least 21 and physically ready. Nobody cared.

Now they're 19 in their second year and people complain because they're not elite already.
I remember when you could go to a game and watch the reserves and under 19's play before the seniors.

I remember when young key position players were left in the 2s to develop until they were at least 21 and physically ready. Nobody cared.

Now they're 19 in their second year and people complain because they're not elite already.

It was the standard at Hawthorn for many years, stay in the magoos until you have played 100 games and only then would you be considered for senior selection.

I really like that approach and would like to see it adopted somehow at Carlton in time.

I remember when you could go to a game and watch the reserves and under 19's play before the seniors.

Couldn't believe the dead atmosphere in the ground prior to the game, it was like a morgue. Hardly anyone in the place, some international teams doing a lap of honour in front of absolutely nobody.

Reading that you would think we would have lost by plenty (almost all our players were either not up to it or played well below their best) YET we nearly won. And Essendon are a quality team. So where does that leave our list?

Get your hand off it, Essendon are sheer poop and nothing better !!!

Their atrocious kicking for goal made us look way better than we were.

Last edited:
It was the standard at Hawthorn for many years, stay in the magoos until you have played 100 games and only then would you be considered for senior selection.

I really like that approach and would like to see it adopted somehow at Carlton in time.

That was before drafting, trading, salary caps and the limited list sizes. Can't do it now

Players aren't patient anymore. Look at Swans Josh Kennedy. Wasn't even prepared to wait a year to get into the midfield in a club his family were Royalty at.
Kevin Peterson couldn't get into South Africa's development team, so he went to England and went on to become their second highest run scorer ever. Cricket Australia keep promoting Mitchell Marsh, based on what he could do over what he does.

Sometimes, even the best developers make a false judgement, and keep a bloke in to twos when they should play ones, or they propel a player who isn't up to it immediately.

They get it right most of the time, but sometimes determination trumps talent, and I think you'll find the determined are unwilling to wait.

Edit: what a long-winded way of saying I agree.

Thanks Harker. Praise from a vet is great for a newb

About Fish, right now he is struggling to carry the ball. One hand on him and he is shot. But for those who watch have a look at the angles the boy runs, he is instinctive and clean.
Put 7 to 10 kgs on him and he is through and open. Natural and in time complete player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Couldn't agree more, if he likes living in Melbourne will be a 10 year player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree seems like i've been posting about him all week but some people no, 1 person cant understand he's 19 playing key defence in the second last team.

was it brownlow medallist dippa who played around 100 reserve games? tuck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back