Autopsy Rd 20 Undermanned Blues go down fighting against reigning premiers - Eagles by 24

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Eagles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Deluca will most likely keep getting played at least for the next week or two, agree on Lang to me he is a disappointing player if only he could play with more intensity it would certainly help his game and chances of making it so much better, all depends on Cuningham and Dow's form in the VFL...
Plowman has got better as the season has gone on, one area of his game that i was critical of was his attack on the contest needing to show more intensity in general, he's stepped right up in that area he's been great...
Plowman's job on Darling was very commendable. I'm with you, his intensity in the past seemed to be lacking but that part of his game has definitely improved and he had a great sense of urgency going yesterday and a desire to compete. Disposal has improved as well. All good stuff. Happy to be wrong on this guy.

Yep agree, umpires had no impact on the game. The complaining and bias each week is just ridiculous. Sure some weeks we get shafted but yesterday wasn't one of them.

They gifted the Eagles a number of goals. It wouldn't have changed the result, West Coast were too good. But it would have made the game a lot tighter.

We were paid a couple of shocking free kicks too, but they didn't result in goals to us, or stop a goal to them.

I think dows sustained defensive efforts have been a concern for a while. but even if they weren't I certainly see him as a long term midfielder so i'd rather he learned to play midfield and getting his hands on the ball in the VFL.
I do to, only thing stopping him is he's not afl fit, he'd be quite capable of playing forward as well through rotations but he just can't chase and tackle repeativly atm..

Good game guys, some genuine improvement this year. Wouldn't it be interesting if we did a deal with you guys for P.Cripps who is one of your current captains and traded to you guys Brander and 2 early picks? the reason being is the reverse happened to us and we won a flag 11 years later by losing our captain but gaining an untried full forward in Kennedy. Funnier things have happened, synchronicity is everywhere in this great game.

NO now go away!

They gifted the Eagles a number of goals. It wouldn't have changed the result, West Coast were too good. But it would have made the game a lot tighter.

We were paid a couple of shocking free kicks too, but they didn't result in goals to us, or stop a goal to them.

Go and read the eagles board, they reckon we were gifted free kicks all day. People just cant put their bias aside and open both eyes when watching footy. There are definitely days when umpiring is shocking but yesterday wasn't one of them

LoB struggles with the pressure I think. Dropped a relatively easy mark in the d50 which caused a goal. Has a tendency to blast away and miss targets

Think that he's a very good player for the future, got a lot of good qualities, but not currently best 22.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app
One mistake doesn’t mean he’s not best 22. He still had 72 % DE which was about the team average and he fills a role no one in the twos can fill. Being a bit harsh on a second year player I think.

Go and read the eagles board, they reckon we were gifted free kicks all day. People just cant put their bias aside and open both eyes when watching footy. There are definitely days when umpiring is shocking but yesterday wasn't one of them

They'er used to biased umpiring their way, so anything approaching even feels like a rotten deal. We did get some shockers (Gibbons for being 'tunnelled' on a handball received, Fisher for apparently in the back? in a marking contest). Again, these didn't result in goals.

Compare to their first goal (Murphy holding the ball rather than high, followed by Ryan in the back against Schumacher not paid).
And Gibbons clearly held in the goal square not paid.
And Allen's dive against Simpson.
That's straight up 3 goals

Always get a realistic look at where you are at and who can genuinely play when you play the top sides and the Eagles being reigning premiers and a favorite to feature in this year's grand final are one of the best. They certainly exposed our weaknesses which gives us something to target and work on.

I thought it was a reasonable result for the coach to lose by under 5 goals. That was par for me against them and we did that.

I think on exposure we got found out for lacking quality rotations through the midfield and I thought some of our younger players were exposed for lacking a hard edge and physical size and strength. We were also exposed against a very good backline who took far too many intercept marks against us due to poor kicking/decision making and not making the extra effort to bring it do ground or not being strong enough to do so. Think some of our slow defenders got exposed for pace and we were exposed for lacking a few small forwards who have genuine pace.

On the plus side many of our players who have genuine quality shone and what is working and what isn't game plan wise was really highlighted. All things which we can work on and I'm sure we will, gives us direction with recruiting and training.

I think you definitely take much more away from this game than you do any of the others.

Newman - Had a really good game, kicked well and kicked a few goals.

Murphy - Was really good again, was pretty hard going on the ball against the Eagles.

Walsh - Was excellent, elite footballer.

Simpson - Recent form is as good as you get, showing no reason why he would not play again next season. Just player hard footy and his running is still really good.

McKay - Had a tough day, just can't kick at the moment. Looked good playing up the ground but playing closer to goal just go out marked and missed goals a bit. He'll be a better player when his body develops, at this stage he get's pushed around a bit as he doesn't have the size and weight of the older guys.

SPS - Did a lot of good things but he's another who's body needs to develop and needs to consistently play physically hard footy because that's what's lacking in his game. Just needs to be stronger at the contest at times. The rest is there.

Curnow - Is providing us a really good quality ball winner and has been great with his contested stuff.

Weitering - I liked his game, beat his man and did some nice offensive things.

Cripps - Thought he was really good but they held him and didn't allow him to dominate. This is going to happen time to time, especially against the top sides and we need to build a balanced and deep midfield so that we aren't reliant on Cripps dominating games to win.

Silvagni - I liked his game, set things up, got plenty of it, got goal assists.

O'Brien - Didn't play a bad game, he's another who will become quite a good player if he can develop his body and become accustomed to playing hard hitting footy. Liked his kicking and he found a bit of it which was good.

Setterfield - Thought he was pretty good, his game just lacks a little polish, needs to do a lot of ball handling to just tidy that up but he was better in this regard than usual and he found plenty of the footy. Will be a better player with a bit more strength and a bit more training in relation to hard running.

Gibbons - Great game, roved well, did plenty right. He's in great form.

Phillips - He did well, probably broke even with his man and is proving to be a very adequate backup ruckman.

Casboult - It wasn't a great day for Levi, he played his role ok but their defence was too strong and too good.

Plowman - He's good against the slower sides and slower opponents but he was exposed again today by some quicker oppositions. Just looked like treacle at times and one effort in particular when chasing was below poor. He's an adequate player but when we have a full backline to choose from next season I don't see him in it. I think the top sides who have speed will expose him, his agility and speed is really low. He did some good things but there were times he was exposed. I think in a good side he is one of those quality backup players you are glad to have.

Schumacher - He looked alright, his body is really underdeveloped and he needs to get that right but he looked alright out there. Made some good spoils, kicked ok (needs a little work still) and he got to the right spots. Developing his body and learning to play tough hard footy like Simpson and Thomas will be the difference between him being an alsoran and making an AFL career for himself. Definitely can see something with him. Career is probably on the line and a solid showing did it no harm at all.

Deluca - Really didn't do much out there. He's not quick for an AFL player and looks short of a run. I think he needs to play on the ball perhaps as a tagger. Been ok against the lesser sides but this week not so good.

Lang - Like Deluca, he's been ok against the lesser sides but this week he didn't do so much.

Goddard - Did some good things but he's not as good as Jones and probably not as good as Levi. He's pretty slow. Did some nice brave things and spoiled fairly well but he's backup, not best 22.

Fisher - He's a player who is really stagnating because he is not playing hard footy. His attack on the man and the ball has become really poor. Opposition get it he dances around rather than just doing the simple thing and running hard at them and he's not going low and hard at the contested footy. His kicking is usually good but it wasn't great. IMO Fisher is getting close to VFL. He needs to develop his body and he needs to pull his finger out and start contesting. This non-contact game he's playing needs to end. More guts and effort next time or VFL IMO. I just want to see him competing hard and not shirking the physical aspects of the game.

Kennedy - Another who has been good against the lesser sides but against an elite backline didn't have a great day. Started well early but just struggled to find it for most of the game.

Thought Deluca was good. Couple of his quick handballs inside F50 led to goals after another handball. Little things like that at this early stage are positive signs.

Goes in hard and doesn't stop trying.

I'd be gutted if he lost his spot and Lang kept his. I need to watch the replay, but to me Lang doesn't have the same intensity as Deluca.

Interested in people’s thoughts. Do we have sufficient class if our best players were playing today and Cripps is not carrying an injury?

Let’s say:

Phillips - Kreuzer
Lang - Cuningham
DeLuca - Daisy
Goddard - Jones
Schumacher - Marchbank
Kennedy - McGovern
Casboult - Charlie (very tough on Casboult)

And then we have Dow and Stocker after pre-seasons, and Docherty and Willa ... and TDK I think 2021 ...

Will be the most intense Consensus 22 ever this BF off-season ...

I definitely think we have the class. Absolutely no doubt. I just think we are 18 months off in terms of fitness development and cohesion. Plus a couple of smart additions.

WCE ability to work as a group and to quickly fill space was impressive.

We are definitely improving and on the right track

Thought Deluca was good. Couple of his quick handballs inside F50 led to goals after another handball. Little things like that at this early stage are positive signs.

Goes in hard and doesn't stop trying.

I'd be gutted if he lost his spot and Lang kept his. I need to watch the replay, but to me Lang doesn't have the same intensity as Deluca.

He was just okay but early days. Bloody hard for some of these players coming in and playing foreign roles. Like to see him play some midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please explain??? :oops:

I didn’t think it was very confusing, Thy responded to a post of mine, well he just posted a post under mine so I assume it was a reply, stating that we have no control over it (missed/ignored umpiring calls), to which I responded, that what frustrates me and what I think should be done better is totally under my control.

They'er used to biased umpiring their way, so anything approaching even feels like a rotten deal. We did get some shockers (Gibbons for being 'tunnelled' on a handball received, Fisher for apparently in the back? in a marking contest). Again, these didn't result in goals.

Compare to their first goal (Murphy holding the ball rather than high, followed by Ryan in the back against Schumacher not paid).
And Gibbons clearly held in the goal square not paid.
And Allen's dive against Simpson.
That's straight up 3 goals

The abolishment if the hands in the back rule has been a disaster, how is it so hard to tell the difference between a shove in the back and using your hands to hold your ground is beyond me.

The weekly football shows, regurly show blatant shoves in the back ignored because it’s a forward who stands to benefit.

Always get a realistic look at where you are at and who can genuinely play when you play the top sides and the Eagles being reigning premiers and a favorite to feature in this year's grand final are one of the best. They certainly exposed our weaknesses which gives us something to target and work on.

I thought it was a reasonable result for the coach to lose by under 5 goals. That was par for me against them and we did that.

I think on exposure we got found out for lacking quality rotations through the midfield and I thought some of our younger players were exposed for lacking a hard edge and physical size and strength. We were also exposed against a very good backline who took far too many intercept marks against us due to poor kicking/decision making and not making the extra effort to bring it do ground or not being strong enough to do so. Think some of our slow defenders got exposed for pace and we were exposed for lacking a few small forwards who have genuine pace.

On the plus side many of our players who have genuine quality shone and what is working and what isn't game plan wise was really highlighted. All things which we can work on and I'm sure we will, gives us direction with recruiting and training.

I think you definitely take much more away from this game than you do any of the others.

Newman - Had a really good game, kicked well and kicked a few goals.

Murphy - Was really good again, was pretty hard going on the ball against the Eagles.

Walsh - Was excellent, elite footballer.

Simpson - Recent form is as good as you get, showing no reason why he would not play again next season. Just player hard footy and his running is still really good.

McKay - Had a tough day, just can't kick at the moment. Looked good playing up the ground but playing closer to goal just go out marked and missed goals a bit. He'll be a better player when his body develops, at this stage he get's pushed around a bit as he doesn't have the size and weight of the older guys.

SPS - Did a lot of good things but he's another who's body needs to develop and needs to consistently play physically hard footy because that's what's lacking in his game. Just needs to be stronger at the contest at times. The rest is there.

Curnow - Is providing us a really good quality ball winner and has been great with his contested stuff.

Weitering - I liked his game, beat his man and did some nice offensive things.

Cripps - Thought he was really good but they held him and didn't allow him to dominate. This is going to happen time to time, especially against the top sides and we need to build a balanced and deep midfield so that we aren't reliant on Cripps dominating games to win.

Silvagni - I liked his game, set things up, got plenty of it, got goal assists.

O'Brien - Didn't play a bad game, he's another who will become quite a good player if he can develop his body and become accustomed to playing hard hitting footy. Liked his kicking and he found a bit of it which was good.

Setterfield - Thought he was pretty good, his game just lacks a little polish, needs to do a lot of ball handling to just tidy that up but he was better in this regard than usual and he found plenty of the footy. Will be a better player with a bit more strength and a bit more training in relation to hard running.

Gibbons - Great game, roved well, did plenty right. He's in great form.

Phillips - He did well, probably broke even with his man and is proving to be a very adequate backup ruckman.

Casboult - It wasn't a great day for Levi, he played his role ok but their defence was too strong and too good.

Plowman - He's good against the slower sides and slower opponents but he was exposed again today by some quicker oppositions. Just looked like treacle at times and one effort in particular when chasing was below poor. He's an adequate player but when we have a full backline to choose from next season I don't see him in it. I think the top sides who have speed will expose him, his agility and speed is really low. He did some good things but there were times he was exposed. I think in a good side he is one of those quality backup players you are glad to have.

Schumacher - He looked alright, his body is really underdeveloped and he needs to get that right but he looked alright out there. Made some good spoils, kicked ok (needs a little work still) and he got to the right spots. Developing his body and learning to play tough hard footy like Simpson and Thomas will be the difference between him being an alsoran and making an AFL career for himself. Definitely can see something with him. Career is probably on the line and a solid showing did it no harm at all.

Deluca - Really didn't do much out there. He's not quick for an AFL player and looks short of a run. I think he needs to play on the ball perhaps as a tagger. Been ok against the lesser sides but this week not so good.

Lang - Like Deluca, he's been ok against the lesser sides but this week he didn't do so much.

Goddard - Did some good things but he's not as good as Jones and probably not as good as Levi. He's pretty slow. Did some nice brave things and spoiled fairly well but he's backup, not best 22.

Fisher - He's a player who is really stagnating because he is not playing hard footy. His attack on the man and the ball has become really poor. Opposition get it he dances around rather than just doing the simple thing and running hard at them and he's not going low and hard at the contested footy. His kicking is usually good but it wasn't great. IMO Fisher is getting close to VFL. He needs to develop his body and he needs to pull his finger out and start contesting. This non-contact game he's playing needs to end. More guts and effort next time or VFL IMO. I just want to see him competing hard and not shirking the physical aspects of the game.

Kennedy - Another who has been good against the lesser sides but against an elite backline didn't have a great day. Started well early but just struggled to find it for most of the game.

Agree with most of this.
I was watching the game on tv, getting frustrated that Fisher just could not defend well. He’s clever, fast, creative and probably cocky (in a good way) but geezhe can’t defend.

The abolishment if the hands in the back rule has been a disaster, how is it so hard to tell the difference between a shove in the back and using your hands to hold your ground is beyond me.

The weekly football shows, regurly show blatant shoves in the back ignored because it’s a forward who stands to benefit.

I think the rule change was right, it's just the umpiring of it is poor.
I think the standard across the board has really dropped this year.

I think the rule change was right, it's just the umpiring of it is poor.
I think the standard across the board has really dropped this year.

Agreed, I’m just not sure why it’s so hard, surely they do video or the AFL sends a memo that it’s being adjudicated wrong.

There have been so many a lot more obvious than the Ryan one.

It’s the same with many rules, there’s a change and two or three years later, the rule that was brought in has evolved to something totally different to its original idea.

The whole umpiring saga just seems so much more difficult than it should.

Great game, really impressed with coaching, effort and for the most part overall skills.

For the first time in a long time we stayed with a top level team when they came to play. Except for a few out of our on the full snaps we potentially could have been right in it and stopped their run on.

Sure we have matched teams before or jumped them etc but normally when they have fallen asleep or not turned up. On Sunday west coast turned up to play and we matched them for a good quarter and a half..

Special mention to schumacher as there couldn’t be a more dangerous opponent and team to play your first game. After a tough start and being way off the pace, he was mentally able to turn it round and not go into his shell.

That’s says a lot to me.

Well done son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great game, really impressed with coaching, effort and for the most part overall skills.

For the first time in a long time we stayed with a top level team when they came to play. Except for a few out of our on the full snaps we potentially could have been right in it and stopped their run on.

Sure we have matched teams before or jumped them etc but normally when they have fallen asleep or not turned up. On Sunday west coast turned up to play and we matched them for a good quarter and a half..

Special mention to schumacher as there couldn’t be a more dangerous opponent and team to play your first game. After a tough start and being way off the pace, he was mentally able to turn it round and not go into his shell.

That’s says a lot to me.

Well done son.

I loved the fact that despite getting nailed trying to fend off he tried it again later with much more success. Well worth persisting with IMO.

That’s says a lot to me.

Well done son.

Kid had a crack, liked the couple of his don't argues as well...

Back