Autopsy Rd 21 - Blues go home at half time. Get blitzed in the second half

Remove this Banner Ad

Without checking facts were freo younger than us by age? My guess is yes..

Loving Harry's work.funny what playing afl can do he looked lost in the 2nds..

What honestly is picketts role in the team? Just drop him bolts
Weitering in for Rowe.
Kennedy in for Graham.
Fisher in for Kerridge.
Cuningham in for Lamb.

All of a sudden, we're a lot younger than Fremantle. We have a few players who are extreme statistical outliers - Daisy, Rowe, Murphy, Simpson - and that jacks up both our average age and our average games played.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about Pickett too, but the tail end of this season is the first bit of actual continuity he's ever had. Hopefully he gets through this preseason unscathed to take the comp by storm next year.

Really, truly awful third quarter, no doubt.

Nothing particularly "new" to glean from this showing, though. The "team age" comparisons are interesting, but not particularly informative. When Freo has a prime star at 25 in Neale, our 25 year old is Sam "Side of a barn" Kerridge. The quality and nature of the player in a given age bracket sure makes a lot of difference. Freo have nobody like Curnow or Harry at 21/20.

Dow showed bits. SPS showed bits. The usual suspects all did their usual things. The big two up forward look more and more promising (and Harry's non-appearances this year look more and more odd). Struggling to work out how some of our guys (Polson, Pickett in particular) can avoid the ball so comprehensively. Surely one can accidentally touch it 4 times a quarter?

We cannot and will not be any good whilst VFL standard plodders have to play key roles in our side. Clearly the youngsters are not ready to run the show, but at least they have real, AFL-level talent; they can just only show it in short bursts at the moment.

It's hard to list any Carlton player that can: run fast, kick accurately and stick a tackle. Imagine we actually had someone who could do these things!

Just don't get the hate on here for Kerridge and, yes, some of his disposals make me cringe but has plenty of mates in our team. The bloke had 29 possessions at 69% and that's a long way more valuable IMO than someone who has 9 at 95%. He also had those in 76% of game time.

A long way from the worst player on our list.
I don't look at stats. Most are bulldust. I watch the game and see what happens. He is a massive liability with ball in hand and fumbles way to much and it costs us so much in turnovers and shots on goal.

Probably worth keeping for depth but for the last 2 games get him and Graham out and put some more kids in. We aren't going to win with those 2 playing so get more kids games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nothing particularly "new" to glean from this showing, though. The "team age" comparisons are interesting, but not particularly informative. When Freo has a prime star at 25 in Neale, our 25 year old is Sam "Side of a barn" Kerridge. The quality and nature of the player in a given age bracket sure makes a lot of difference. Freo have nobody like Curnow or Harry at 21/20.

Dow showed bits. SPS showed bits. The usual suspects all did their usual things. The big two up forward look more and more promising (and Harry's non-appearances this year look more and more odd). Struggling to work out how some of our guys (Polson, Pickett in particular) can avoid the ball so comprehensively. Surely one can accidentally touch it 4 times a quarter?

We cannot and will not be any good whilst VFL standard plodders have to play key roles in our side. Clearly the youngsters are not ready to run the show, but at least they have real, AFL-level talent; they can just only show it in short bursts at the moment.

It's hard to list any Carlton player that can: run fast, kick accurately and stick a tackle. Imagine we actually had someone who could do these things!
Brennen Cox.

He was on the list Foxtel showed us yesterday, as one of the top 5 U23 KPF by goals a game average. He was 5th.

Think he kicked a few yesterday as well.

Average bottom 6 and a group of youngsters it is always going to happen

Problem is, their starting to believe that.

With what we have, we still have to learn to be scrappers before you can crawl, walk and then run. The signs of fight have to come now. We need to see 4 qtrs of effort. Doesn't matter what sort of side we have on the field, we have to have effort, we gave up that lead way to easily.

I stopped watching at half time as we were in it. My intuition took over so I turned it off. Was a good day. Go the shitty blues :)
Supporter of the year.

I don't look at stats. Most are bulldust. I watch the game and see what happens. He is a massive liability with ball in hand and fumbles way to much and it costs us so much in turnovers and shots on goal.

Probably worth keeping for depth but for the last 2 games get him and Graham out and put some more kids in. We aren't going to win with those 2 playing so get more kids games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lets be fair to Kerridge in previous games before injury he'd been a much better contributor and seemed to have tidied up his game somewhat .
But yes that seemed to be the old Kerridge back in action yesterday .

Said it for a couple of years now; Why Graham can't deliver what he does in the VFL is a mystery.
It has nothing to do with the game being faster or harder at AFL level. Things he does with ease in the VFL become very difficult in the AFL.

Whatever the issue is, it would be a good thing for him to part with our club.
Maybe someone else can get something a little more out of him, than we simply cannot. Maybe he needs a change of environment. Don't know.

I also think after watching it live yesterday from high up his team mates don't rate him either.
He led numerous times and was free and they seemed to not kick it to him which is bullshit if someone is free you use them. I think he would be better served playing at the gold coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without checking facts were freo younger than us by age? My guess is yes..
upload_2018-8-13_8-7-26.png
We would have had quite an older more experienced side if we didn't have injuries.
Missing from Freo -
Fyfe - SHill - Blakely - Hamling - Brayshaw - Bennell (lol) - Sandi

I’d like to know who was responsible for Wilson and kick whoever it was in the backside. He’s a great kick and hit Freo targets in the forward half so it’s a mystery to me why that wasn’t fixed.
All of your boys put quite a lot of effort in making sure Wilson 'felt it' every time he got near the ball. Your guys put quite a few big hits on him throughout the first half. He was chundering after one bump. None of our other players seemed to get that attention so I'm guessing Bolton viewed Wilson as a threat. Brad Hill was well held for the first half before he finally pulled his finger out. I was most surprised though that Langdon seemed to get very little attention throughout the game considering how often we move the ball forward through him.

I thought you came with great intent in that first half with a very attacking brand. Michael Johnson's lack of pace above jog-speed was quite obviously identified early on and exploited. I think quite a portion of your early goals went through whoever Johnson happened to be covering. Frustratingly you walked it out of your backline with ease and Lobbe dominated the first half giving Cripps and co good first use.

It went to s**t for you in the third. Sean Darcy probably took the chocolates in the 2nd half ruck battle and Mundy's class got the better of Cripps. Neale and Langdon kept on keeping on and our ramp up in pressure caused a few of your lesser lights to struggle.

Curnow and McKay look like a great forward paring that will be with you for a decade to come. Lukosius as the 3rd tall would be bloody good.... but Walsh and Cripps would be just as deadly.

Anyway - thank god the season is almost over.

You can shove the stats. Watch how many tackles don't stick, we don't close down space. Marchbank/Silvagni get pushed out. There are reasons you lose a half by 8 goals. Also great we win the contested (Cripps SPS Curnow) and then we turn it over. I know what I saw, what were you watching?

I can "shove" the stats because they don't support your argument?

If we played as you suggested, I would have expected to lose at least one of the two areas I highlighted. That we won both indicates we lost the game elsewhere.

As I said, we had plenty of issues yesterday (some of which you have mentioned) but being soft was not one of them.

You just described Dylan Shiel, you cheeky bastard

Weitering in for Rowe.
Kennedy in for Graham.
Fisher in for Kerridge.
Cuningham in for Lamb.

All of a sudden, we're a lot younger than Fremantle. We have a few players who are extreme statistical outliers - Daisy, Rowe, Murphy, Simpson - and that jacks up both our average age and our average games played.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about Pickett too, but the tail end of this season is the first bit of actual continuity he's ever had. Hopefully he gets through this preseason unscathed to take the comp by storm next year.

Spot on and needs to increase his training loads so that he is the fittest he has ever been and will mean that he has lost some kg's.

Hopefully he doesn't have any lingering issues from earlier injuries which limits his ability to raise the bar on the fitness work.

not many quality spread players missing

Yes there are, add some of the players missing. Doc, Weitering and Willo that hit guys on the spread, as well as being part of the spread. Lamb, Cuners and Fisher that are part of that spread

All of which are/were better than the bottom 6 players on the weekend

Yes there are, add some of the players missing. Doc, Weitering and Willo that hit guys on the spread, as well as being part of the spread. Lamb, Cuners and Fisher that are part of that spread

All of which are/were better than the bottom 6 players on the weekend

A fit Murphy Curnow & Simpson helps as well. We really are limping to the end of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back