Autopsy Rd 21 Blues luck dries up in the wet

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 against the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 19 Bounces

Cripps 19
E.Curnow 16
Walsh 15 (10i, 5w)
LOB 14 wing
Murphy 14 (8i, 6w)
Setterfield 13 (11w, 2i)
J.Silvagni 2
Gibbons 2 (1w, 1i)

Rucks:
Kreuzer 16
Casboult 3

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
J.Silvagni 1
Kreuzer 1
E.Curnow 1
Gibbons 1

1st Half - 8

Cripps 8
E.Curnow 7
Walsh 7 (2w)
Setterfield 6 wing
Murphy 6 (4i, 2w)
LOB 5 wing
Gibbons 1 wing

Kreuzer 7
Casboult 1

2nd Half - 11

Cripps 11
E.Curnow 9 (1w)
LOB 9 wing
Walsh 8 (3w)
Murphy 8 (4i, 4w)
Setterfield 7 (5w, 2i)
J.Silvagni 2
Gibbons 1

Kreuzer 9
Casboult 2

Notes:
- Cripps achieves the ultimate, attending every bounce for his 2nd time ever - the other being against Sydney in Rd 11, 2018. It is a rare achievement even for rucks, whilst a few wings have achieved it, OTTOMH Collingwood's Taylor Adams is the only other inside mid to ever achieve it within an analysed game.
- A rare game without any centre clearances for Cripps
- First inside start in analysed games for Setterfield since Rd 11
- Murphy played the last mostly as a wing, possibly for the first time since Bolton was sacked

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 19 Bounces

Cripps 19
E.Curnow 16
Walsh 15 (10i, 5w)
LOB 14 wing
Murphy 14 (8i, 6w)
Setterfield 13 (11w, 2i)
J.Silvagni 2
Gibbons 2 (1w, 1i)

Rucks:
Kreuzer 16
Casboult 3

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
J.Silvagni 1
Kreuzer 1
E.Curnow 1
Gibbons 1

1st Half - 8

Cripps 8
E.Curnow 7
Walsh 7 (2w)
Setterfield 6 wing
Murphy 6 (4i, 2w)
LOB 5 wing
Gibbons 1 wing

Kreuzer 7
Casboult 1

2nd Half - 11

Cripps 11
E.Curnow 9 (1w)
LOB 9 wing
Walsh 8 (3w)
Murphy 8 (4i, 4w)
Setterfield 7 (5w, 2i)
J.Silvagni 2
Gibbons 1

Kreuzer 9
Casboult 2

Notes:
- Cripps achieves the ultimate, attending every bounce for his 2nd time ever - the other being against Sydney in Rd 11, 2018. It is a rare achievement even for rucks, whilst a few wings have achieved it, OTTOMH Collingwood's Taylor Adams is the only other inside mid to ever achieve it within an analysed game.
- A rare game without any centre clearances for Cripps
- First inside start in analysed games for Setterfield since Rd 11
- Murphy played the last mostly as a wing, possibly for the first time since Bolton was sacked
:thumbsu: Thanks BB65

But his height is immaterial to the way he plays. He plays tall, ergo arguing that he's not one is if not factually incorrect still somewhat dubious.
I think I saw somewhere that he had the fastest TOP speed tracked this year of any platter on our list .. for me he is a flanker or third option .. just not fit enough — he also like to come from the side when marking on a hook unlike most KPF.. with hormones chicken today’s 190cm is. The 80;s 183 😂😂

That is my point Gibbons, Deluca, Lang, Fisher, Obrien looked 2 classes below the level required to hit top four. The kids may improve. Gibbons and Deluca will be fringe players at best. My point is we can't just trade in replacements, we need to draft onballers and flankers. Gibbons and Deluca were found wanting against the best and it might be time to remove the rose coloured glasses
You mean a week after Gibbons kicked 3 goals against the reigning premiers?

Instead of adopting this condescending attitude suggesting people are wearing "rose coloured glasses" how about you open your eyes to see everything instead of only what you want to see. You are guilty of this way too often for it to be accidental.

See, I'd be going the other way. If you traded Charlie, you'd get more than you would for Harry; TDK is also manifesting more as a CHF than Harry is.

If you traded Harry, you'd get yourself one of picks 2-6. If you traded Charlie, you'd net two picks in that range. McKay is projecting to be the more consistent of the two, with Charlie possessing more marketability and x factor. I don't know about you but I take the consistently good ahead of the occasionally brilliant most days of the week, and we have other potential x-factor players on the list already.
I'd be extremely reluctant to trade Charlie. The last thing we want to see is him winning multiple Coleman Medals at another club, ala Josh Kennedy.

At his peak Charlie will be kicking 50-60 goals a season. We want him doing this for us, not someone like Geelong, Hawthorn, the Bulldogs or even as a replacement for Riewoldt in the Tiggies' forward line.

See, I'd be going the other way. If you traded Charlie, you'd get more than you would for Harry; TDK is also manifesting more as a CHF than Harry is.

If you traded Harry, you'd get yourself one of picks 2-6. If you traded Charlie, you'd net two picks in that range. McKay is projecting to be the more consistent of the two, with Charlie possessing more marketability and x factor. I don't know about you but I take the consistently good ahead of the occasionally brilliant most days of the week, and we have other potential x-factor players on the list already.
Here is my considered response and I see where your coming from but in my reality....
You don't willingly trade away top shelf forward talent ever.
Not unless you have a desire to be mediocre.
And then only if a player asks to leave. (Betts and Hamill for instance). One is entitled to ask what is wrong in the players head if they actually wish to leave Carlton. Definitely something wrong.

Team of the week for Simmo .....

Kade Simpson (33 touches) was outstanding in the wet.

6613-TOTW-2019-R21-Website-B-HB%5B4%5D.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

makes the team of the week - not bad for someone who "didn't play well"...............

Im not saying he didn't play well but do you think the person/people who put that side together watched every game or just looked at the stats. Read the backline and why they are picked, all based on the number of possessions.

You mean a week after Gibbons kicked 3 goals against the reigning premiers?

Instead of adopting this condescending attitude suggesting people are wearing "rose coloured glasses" how about you open your eyes to see everything instead of only what you want to see. You are guilty of this way too often for it to be accidental.
Fair points. Personally, I like Gibbons - he tries hard and occasionally has an impact. I hope Teague keeps playing him more in the middle as that is his best position and he is certainly a lot stronger there than as a crumbing forward.

Team of the week for Simmo .....

Kade Simpson (33 touches) was outstanding in the wet.

6613-TOTW-2019-R21-Website-B-HB%5B4%5D.jpg
I had Simmo in my bests on the weekend. I couldn't believe some posters criticising his game. Yeh, he may have made the odd mistake, but if it wasn't for him, especially in the first half, we would have got really smashed.

Interesting stat re the weekend with blues average games played 99.3 v the tigers 100.5. Carlton had 7 of the 10 oldest players on the ground with tigers having 5 players under 25 games

This surprised me ( assuming it was all true- heard it on talkback)

Interesting stat re the weekend with blues average games played 99.3 v the tigers 100.5. Carlton had 7 of the 10 oldest players on the ground with tigers having 5 players under 25 games

This surprised me ( assuming it was all true- heard it on talkback)

I would say that thanks to our oldest players and some young guns we had about as much talent as the Tigers 22 did but the main difference was they have a superior structure and style and have had that drilled into them for a few years now. Teague will have ideas on how he wants us to play but it will probably take until 2021 until we learn to execute it properly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would say that thanks to our oldest players and some young guns we had about as much talent as the Tigers 22 did but the main difference was they have a superior structure and style and have had that drilled into them for a few years now. Teague will have ideas on how he wants us to play but it will probably take until 2021 until we learn to execute it properly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Now that is a big claim! My point was that you are constantly referred to as a young team or the young bodies of the blues when the facts on sunday indicated otherwise.

Either that or richmond are quite inexperienced as well.

Absolutely we have the raw materials. It should surprise nobody and there's no shame in admitting Richmond has a far more advanced and effective gameplan than us right now - which is what makes them a premiership-level side. Overall experience and pure natural talent, the two sides are not a million miles apart.

Back