Autopsy Rd 21: Freo go down in a close one

Remove this Banner Ad

The take aways from that game for me were that:

Freo are now playing a faster game with passages of play where the ball changes hands almost faster than the camera can track. Absolute treat to watch.

Wagner provides a solid link between our backline and midfield.

Jackson is absolutely indispensable.

Treacy is a workhorse although it isn’t always reflected in his stats.

Young is our newfound midfield weapon.

Sturt has earned his new contract and we need to get it done.

Serong's hack kicks are equal to Brayshaw's kicks when he isn't under pressure
And he runs past begging for the back when a much better kick has the ball
Does my head in

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's his mindset at times. He rushes getting rid of the ball when he definitely has more time and could look to where he might better direct the kick. It has really cost us at important stages this season. Can't really blame someone who's been in the trenches for so long and constantly under the gun (from so young an age) to be a little twitchy though. Hopefully it'll be something he grows out of.

Frustrating.
We were out many times and just botched a kick forward.

Pearce and Henry with just absolute coach killers.

Henry is establishing himself but he made a howler late.

Young showing he belongs in the midfield means serious questions of OMeara need to be asked.
Henry getting caught HTB was a tough break for him, it was right in front of me...he had to take it on, but... they'd all been put under unnecessary pressure by Captain-Fantastic's shanked kick across goal (which the commentator I think called "awkward"). Pearce, yes - was the real coach killer there. As he was in that contest with Daniher early in the fourth.

A great game of footy but:
  • Amiss isn't kicking as well this year as last. He's getting under the ball too much.
  • I don't think Corbett is AFL level. Doesn't offer more than Banfield in my opinion.
  • We still have too many poor kicks in the team. Hughes, Pearce, Shultz, Serong (Even though he gives his all).
  • Cox is still on autopilot (Pretty much has been his whole career).
  • JOM has not been better than Brodie last year.
  • Aish hasn't had a good year, and looks a bit lost.
  • Very unpopular opinion, but still not sold on Treacy. He drops too many marks and that one in the first quarter (which resulted in a goal) should not have been paid.
  • All in all, we have a long way to go yet.
Positives would be Jackson - was fantastic today, Young in the middle and Henry improving out of sight in 6 weeks.

Henry getting caught HTB was a tough break for him, it was right in front of me...he had to take it on, but... they'd all been put under unnecessary pressure by Captain-Fantastic's shanked kick across goal (which the commentator I think called "awkward"). Pearce, yes - was the real coach killer there. As he was in that contest with Daniher early in the fourth.

Yeah. Pearce under pressure is easily the worst kick in the whole league. There’s no one you can tell me is worse.

All he had to do was clear it wide. Instead he somehow kicked an inverse torp about 27m.

He horrid.

Great game last week. His reality is he’s just utter garbage.

It's not personal, I just don't agree with anyone judging previous decisions using information that wasn't available when that decision was made. That's what hind sight is, an unfair judgement that people made mistakes in their decision making without accounting for their perspective at the time.

E.g. You don't know players have lost form till they've played a few bad games in a row. You don't know Young is going to play well as a mid till he's played well as a mid etc.

There is no value in hindsight. There is much value in not blaming, but being honest about what actually happened and learning from it.
In the last 3 or 4 days you can find positive posts from me on this board on both Sturt and Wagner to name but two incidences I can remember (and there’s plenty others if you bothered looking further back) so saying I haven’t posted anything positive in a long time is pretty unfair. Im a member and passionate fan just as much as anyone else and articulating areas we have been poor in after a thouroughly disappointing season overall, is what this board is for I would have thought?
I’ll cop the hindsight call from you for the young move the midfield - fair enough. But I’ve been consistently calling for Sturt to play ahead of Banfield for 2 years now so it’s no hindsight bandwagon I’ve just hopped on this last few weeks.

Gonna say it
Corbett is bog average
Whatever draft capital we have needs to go to a better version of him and also a gun small forward
I think our midfield is complete

Even losing Henry as s**t as that would be , we have Stanley and Drizzle to work with
It was clear as day today that we lacked some forward class
Our mids need to back themselves in and have a shot if they are inside 50 and have momentum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Classic Fro supporters. Let’s all hold hands and look at the positives.

Not only are we 15th (and will likely finish there), we are also giving away our first pick to Melbourne.

This season has been shite, our game plan is non existent, and many of our players have gone backwards.

But, but, but, we got within 3 points of the lions. Let’s be honest, they were trash, we were just worse

Yeah It sucks we got no 1st round pick... But we are not carlton of 2002-4 where thwy had no 1st and 2nd round picks for 3 years in a row and had barely any solid kids aged 23 or under.

I am mixed in our current situation. We got no 1st rounder this season but we got some good talent aged 23 or under.

Before that goal he’d lost 2x one on one contests to Payne in the 4th quarter. Neither kick hugely to his advantage but he could have done more to bring it to ground.

In saying that, he’s come a long long way. I think he’s cemented himself in my best 22.

He’s playing better than Walters the past month.
You mean the goal where he came from the clouds to pressure Starcevich to kick it out on the full, then did the beautifully executed double-back lead, mark, then slot the 47m set-shot goal from deep in the pocket to put us within 2 points?

One preseason of Hayden Young building his tank means he stays in the middle in the last quarter and we win that game. Also, Alex Pearce whipping boy status reinstated. That mark attempt instead of a spoil/engaging the body 🤦‍♂️
Pretty sure he only went back to cover for injured Hughes
Made sense

Still took on a tackle that cost us the game when the safe thing was just handball in front and force a stoppage.
In that last scramble any number of things could've "cost us the game".

It's one of the most discretionary calls used by the umps though. That ball was actually knocked clear before the tackle was even applied. Could've been a square up for the Clark throw in that same passage maybe, or perhaps was all in the angles and heat of the moment. But Henry lifted the ball upwardly to give the handball, McCarthy came over the top and the ball was actually knocked out of his hands before the tackle was applied. I've seen umpires pay holding the man fairly often for similar.

Hayden Young is going to be our Jordan Dawson.
200.gif

Dawson is my second big crush behind Bont. Absolutely love his game.

Last edited:
Just watching the first half because I was too wrapped up in qooty to watch it live and can see 4 different skill errors or dumb decisions in the first 15 mins that essentially cost us the game. We’re so close to being good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back