Rd 21 Preview / Discussion (dedicated to JuddgementDay)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quazza

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 11, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Screenshot_20190811_120942.jpg

big_bazza

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2005
Tas
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
sydney swans
All out for 2512, had the week off in tragics 2 so it didnt mean s**t but i had a comfortable win in my other main league, Ziebell was the only real let down then i had plonkers like Smith, Laird and Rocky all go sub 90 but the rest of the lads all did their thang though and no injury concerns so everything is gravy for TeamHonk,.

Bring on the prelims kents, its time for the big boys to play :moustache:

On the scoring, scaling is based mainly on two factors:
(1) current margin at time of scoring act
(2) percentage of game time to go at time of scoring act.
(There are also adjustments to scoring acts based on post hoc reviews, so corrections and stuff.)
The bare bones of a formula along these lines were put up at one stage, can dig it up if anyone’s super-keen.
It sometimes appears random when you look at the live score ticker because there can be multiple things happening (scale adjustment, adjudication of scoring act, like spoil to own player, spoil to oppo player, spoil to dead ball / contest etc.) all going on in the background.
It’s one of those ones where a regular process leads to irregular outcomes, like a goal being worth 5 or 10, depending on the state of the game.
Best just to ascribe it to Special Sauce action and not to worry about it, I guess.

Some great ranks, good stuff :thumbsu:
Hope Marshall, Sloaney and co. get up for next week, already got Tom Thumb riding the pine.
Can’t go crook at either, Marshall getting past 80 off the knee and Sloaney already getting to 75 so early before the KO ok compared to folks copping Cogs a few weeks back tbh.

Sherman41

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood
Appreciate the insights on the scoring system. I always thought I had a pretty good understanding of how it works etc but seems to be all over the place of late.

Essentially it is penalising players in losing teams or players who play in poor teams who score less than others due to scoring chains etc.

Cripps had 37 touches on weekend with 21 contested. Normally that would be a 150+ score for him.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wasn't a bad ol hit. Don't think he's going to be missing any games though.

That Brayshaw though, never lived up to the lofty heights expected of him!

Way to down play Sloane's eye socket injury.

SLOANE.JPG

Kudos for putting on a brave face, but his injury has all but assured that Adelaide won't be playing finals and that "Carlton won the trade". No point of even risking him for 2 essentially dead rubbers.

What's really amazing is that I've climbed to 367th overall despite starting with Brayshaw @ M3. How embarrassing would it be for you if he arses a 120+ on Friday night as my Mid E and I loop his score and that is the score that gets me over the line. :)

Last edited:
LOL Way to down play Sloane's eye socket injury.

View attachment 724999

Kudos for putting on a brave face, but his injury has all but assured that Adelaide won't be playing finals and that "Carlton won the trade". No point on even risking him for 2 essentially dead rubbers.

What's really amazing is that I've climbed to 367th overall despite starting with Brayshaw @ M3. How embarrassing would it be for you if he arses a 120+ on Friday night as my Mid E and I loop his score and that is the score that gets me over the line? :)
I've missed the incident
Is sloanne out for a few weeks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
What the hell happened ? That's 600 a round give or take.
You running a donut shop ?
No donuts at all

Have had to field the following:

Clarke to cover for Jelly
Logue to cover Ryan
Setterfield to cover Lycett

Poor captain's choice on the weekend - Neale

Plus a lot of my premo's have turned to trash - Sloane, Hurn and co.

Thanks for shining a light on how much of a dumpster fire CD are. :thumbsu:

Hilarious they start scaling in-game whilst the game is still going - which is something that should only be done post-game. It means the scaled points handed to a player of the winning team (like Treloar) results in there being less points to distribute to other players that score from that point onwards in the game.

Would that therefore mean due to there being less points, a player who commits the same effective act as one prior in the game is given less points for it? Is this where their subjective 'weighting' comes into it. Just mind boggling. Keep it linear across the entire game, and if there are points left over, scale post-game. Simple, really.
Why do they even cap @ 3300 in the first place? And who dafaq came up with THAT magic number??

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
Why do they even cap @ 3300 in the first place? And who dafaq came up with THAT magic number??
This has always been my main gripe too. It's even worse than a cap though, it's a minimum as well. That means that players in a high class skilful game get their scores scaled down to fit into the 3300 total while players in an error-ridden mess of a game have their scores scaled up resulting in players who performed better in a skilful game getting less points than those who were just the best of a bad lot in the crap game.

Supposedly it's using the reasoning that it's in line with the idea that a team that wins a low standard game gets the same 4 premiership points as the team that wins a high standard match, but this is an entirely different contest where it's the performance of the player that counts as opposed to other players in the comp so that reasoning makes no sense.

Rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back