Preview Rd 21 v Essendon @ Etihad. 1:10pm Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

OK I've calmed down now. Could be worse. We could have Brisbane's playing list. Still have faith we are on the right track. Missing nine of our best 22, entire first and second string midfields, late in the season, travelling with a young, inexperienced team after a couple of hard fought matches, playing a fast, more experienced (surprisingly) side on a fast track who are playing their GF. We looked to have heavy legs for most of that game. Looking forward to what Rocket has to say.

OK I've calmed down now. Could be worse. We could have Brisbane's playing list. Still have faith we are on the right track. Missing nine of our best 22, entire first and second string midfields, late in the season, travelling with a young, inexperienced team after a couple of hard fought matches, playing a fast, more experienced (surprisingly) side on a fast track who are playing their GF. We looked to have heavy legs for most of that game. Looking forward to what Rocket has to say.
But losing all these close games will not do any good for the player's confidence. All this loss will do is fill players heads with doubt and mental demons that will haunt them for who knows how long.
Essendon were kicking at about 90% efficiency in the last quarter. That means we applied no pressure whatsoever. And they continued to make the same mistake of bombing long all day. No pressure, no composure, no leadership, no effort, no guts, no will, no excuses.

But losing all these close games will not do any good for the player's confidence. All this loss will do is fill players heads with doubt and mental demons that will haunt them for who knows how long.
Essendon were kicking at about 90% efficiency in the last quarter. That means we applied no pressure whatsoever. And they continued to make the same mistake of bombing long all day. No pressure, no composure, no leadership, no guts, no will, no excuses.
Yeah for sure, Rocket mentioned in the post match about too many players deviating from the match plan, being selfish and not bringing the effort. He also thought we were heavy-legged and was bemused by the non-deliberate calls when they kicked it through our goals from 20m out under no pressure (as was I and the commentators). Didn't use it as an excuse just a fact. Don't think it will leave any mental scars though. We played really, really poorly and got done by a kick. It's not like they thrashed us by 119 points. That scars. We know if we play better we win that easily. We were just shithouse today and missed a golden opportunity to grab our seventh win.

If we won by 20 points or lost by 20 it wouldn't have changed much.
We won the inside 50s by 25, that's what I'm looking at. If we lost that count I'd be really worried and shattered. Essendon put 2-3 extras back and it was something our team hasn't seen before and were still kicking to Lynch 3 v 1.
Ah chee 14 contested disposals, Wright good, Miller good. What annoyed me was Hallahan 18, Shaw 18, Harbrow 17 etc. If they can't step up against a weak Essendon then their days are numbered.
The Shaw cheer squad may be offended because all I hear is this supposed run & carry. I never see it. Chip mark, chip kick. When under pressure he turns it over. He should be a lot better.

Yeah for sure, Rocket mentioned in the post match about too many players deviating from the match plan, being selfish and not bringing the effort. He also thought we were heavy-legged and was bemused by the non-deliberate calls when they kicked it through our goals from 20m out under no pressure (as was I and the commentators). Didn't use it as an excuse just a fact. Don't think it will leave any mental scars though. We played really, really poorly and got done by a kick. It's not like they thrashed us by 119 points. That scars. We know if we play better we win that easily. We were just shithouse today and missed a golden opportunity to grab our seventh win.
I was moreso talking about the point you made about injuries. The team we had out there was more than capable of winning, and by a big margin too.
As for umpiring, clearly those rushed behinds were 100% deliberate.

[QUObiggestTheSunGod, post: 46079449, member: 103962"]OK I've calmed down now. Could be worse. We could have Brisbane's playing list. Still have faith we are on the right track. Missing nine of our best 22, entire first and second string midfields, late in the season, travelling with a young, inexperienced team after a couple of hard fought matches, playing a fast, more experienced (surprisingly) side on a fast track who are playing their GF. We looked to have heavy legs for most of that game. Looking forward to what Rocket has to say.[/QUOTE]
The biggest for me is its our first game at etihad for the year. Plays different to all other grounds. We still should have won

If we won by 20 points or lost by 20 it wouldn't have changed much.
We won the inside 50s by 25, that's what I'm looking at. If we lost that count I'd be really worried and shattered. Essendon put 2-3 extras back and it was something our team hasn't seen before and were still kicking to Lynch 3 v 1.
Ah chee 14 contested disposals, Wright good, Miller good. What annoyed me was Hallahan 18, Shaw 18, Harbrow 17 etc. If they can't step up against a weak Essendon then their days are numbered.
The Shaw cheer squad may be offended because all I hear is this supposed run & carry. I never see it. Chip mark, chip kick. When under pressure he turns it over. He should be a lot better.
Reckon we fell into the trap of kicking it to stationary targets way too often. I thought Harbs was one of our better players today but yeah Shawry, Hallas, Grant, Davis, and Matera - just don't think those little legs are capable of run and carry. None are best twenty-two but we've got no one else ATM. Can see the Pies getting hold of us next week, to give their supporters more false hope that Bucks is their messiah. Loved Toukie's effort - 39 disposals. Rocket said he's in our starting midfield next year no matter who's back. One of the very few today who looked like he gave a s**t.

I think it will leave scars and deep ones, Essendons team should not of won a game this season, to their credit they now have 2, the fact that ours is one of them and they will be in Melbourne for the entire week hearing about it everyday has to cut deep.

We are currently a deserving laughing stock

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[QUObiggestTheSunGod, post: 46079449, member: 103962"]OK I've calmed down now. Could be worse. We could have Brisbane's playing list. Still have faith we are on the right track. Missing nine of our best 22, entire first and second string midfields, late in the season, travelling with a young, inexperienced team after a couple of hard fought matches, playing a fast, more experienced (surprisingly) side on a fast track who are playing their GF. We looked to have heavy legs for most of that game. Looking forward to what Rocket has to say.
The biggest for me is its our first game at etihad for the year. Plays different to all other grounds. We still should have won[/QUOTE]
For sure we should still have won, that's what makes it more disappointing. The loss against GWS the other week almost felt like a win in comparison. Rockets been saying for weeks that he expected us to tire at some stage. Unfortunately it was mental tiredness in a very winnable game today.

The biggest for me is its our first game at etihad for the year. Plays different to all other grounds. We still should have won
For sure we should still have won, that's what makes it more disappointing. The loss against GWS the other week almost felt like a win in comparison. Rockets been saying for weeks that he expected us to tire at some stage. Unfortunately it was mental tiredness in a very winnable game today.[/QUOTE]
It was a number of factors, most of which was in our control. Of course players were tiring, but no more than the essendon top-ups who had no pre-season.

I think it will leave scars and deep ones, Essendons team should not of won a game this season, to their credit they now have 2, the fact that ours is one of them and they will be in Melbourne for the entire week hearing about it everyday has to cut deep.

Thank God for Melbourne!!!
I don't think we are even considered relevant enough by the Vic media and public to be a laughing stock. We are simply irrelevant and merely wasting good players' careers, taking up Tassie's spot in the League etc. won't change until we start to regularly spank these sides. Then it turns to the fear and loathing GWS are now experiencing. Saw it with the Bears/Lions of the late nineties / early 2000s, seeing it now with the Giants.

For sure we should still have won, that's what makes it more disappointing. The loss against GWS the other week almost felt like a win in comparison. Rockets been saying for weeks that he expected us to tire at some stage. Unfortunately it was mental tiredness in a very winnable game today.
It was a number of factors, most of which was in our control. Of course players were tiring, but no more than the essendon top-ups who had no pre-season.[/QUOTE]
They must have had a sniff of something pre-game because they didn't look tired!! I think that something was called victory.

It's interesting that Lemmens, Nicholls and Malceski are the 3 most hated players on this board yet none of them played and we lost to Essendon..
I thought it was Grant, Thompson and Matera were. I don't like Nicholls much, but I rather him than Brooksby. And Mal was actually in decent form before getting injured. Lemmens has been useless for the last 2 seasons.

Nah doesn't seem to have scarred Melbourne. They're going alright now. Might be the loss they need. Wasn't going to mean much anyhow if they had won.

Nah doesn't seem to have scarred Melbourne. They're going alright now. Might be the loss they need. Wasn't going to mean much anyhow if they had won.
That's because they've been scarred so many times it just doesn't affect them anymore.

It's interesting that Lemmens, Nicholls and Malceski are the 3 most hated players on this board yet none of them played and we lost to Essendon..

I found it interesting that Sexton was out and Aaron Hall was in and Zaharakis and Zach Merrett had 35+ touches each and we were unable to contain their midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back