Preview Rd 22 - Carlton v St Kilda Sat 17th Aug 1.45pm @ MCG - Team Post #237

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy said they are very excited about playing and don't want the season to end :D
I think that's a fantastic attitude to go into the off-season. All off-season they'll be thinking about getting back into it, whereas a team that limps to the end of the season may not have the same enthusiasm.

Wonder if MMcG is the best match up for Membrey? Keep Caz forward and contest against Carlisle.
McGov doesn't have the discipline to be a man on man defender. The only thing he's ever done down back is be a loose marking player and even then he's been average* in that role.

*Average actually meaning average, not average meaning poor.

Biggest questions (for me) are:

1. How Teague and Amos set up the defensive structures - does Levi go back?
2. Unusual circumstances re Thomas's 'retirement' announcement - why before end of season and what (if any) effect will this have on his game and why is this his 'last' game - there is still Geelong next week?
3. Understand Dow's inclusion ( leg speed) but is Kennedy a fit (enough) inclusion for Lang's omission ( and will this mean that Lang at Carlton days are over?)

Finally - this game has no bearing on finals so both Clubs are playing for their own reason(s) Carlton in Teague's first (official) game as permanent coach and St Kilda for any claim Ratten may have as the new coach to be appointed...

A win against St Kilda who (arguably) until Ratten took over were along with Melbums - the most disappointing performers for the year would be another indicator of positive direction.

Hannerbury and Steven are big ins for them - Charlie Curnow would have been a more than handy presence for Carlton if available - I reckon our forward line isn't playing as well as their's - but maybe - Teaguey has a cunning plan ready for Ratts- involving Dow and Kennedy in midfield rotations - releasing Crippa more into forward line...Cripps with 5 goals and a win.

releasing Crippa more into forward line...Cripps with 5 goals and a win.
I've been disappointed with how little time Cripps has spent forward. I don't want him there all the time, or even every game, but when he's being successfully tagged out of the game he still is constantly in the middle. I don't think any tagger in the game could follow him forward, he's a legit key forward when he's there. It's a great way to break a tag and have an impact.

McGov doesn't have the discipline to be a man on man defender. The only thing he's ever done down back is be a loose marking player and even then he's been average* in that role.

*Average actually meaning average, not average meaning poor.
Membrey has been too agile for Weiters and I suspect would be for Caz. Too good a mark for Plow.

Might be time to give the new improved Mitch a role to play.

Membrey has been too agile for Weiters and I suspect would be for Caz. Too good a mark for Plow.

I disagree, I think Plowman is a fair matchup for him.

Mitch has had an unsettled enough season without now changing his role to something he's never done before and one he wouldn't be suited for. Besides, Membrey hasn't really torn us up so much we need to find an out of the box way to figure him out; his last 3 games vs Carlton he's kicked 2, 3 and 1.

Last edited:

I think Weitering is good to take Membrey now. Jacob is in peak form and Membrey is most dangerous overhead.

Pull Levi back to go with Bruce. Gorilla vs gorilla.

Don't agree with this. I think our midfield has been too slow and too young for the saints which hasn't allowed Weitering to play defense on membrey, can't defend lightning entries. Weits will crush Membrey if our midfield does its job, which it has been much better at since Teague took over.

Biggest questions (for me) are:

1. How Teague and Amos set up the defensive structures - does Levi go back?
2. Unusual circumstances re Thomas's 'retirement' announcement - why before end of season and what (if any) effect will this have on his game and why is this his 'last' game - there is still Geelong next week?
3. Understand Dow's inclusion ( leg speed) but is Kennedy a fit (enough) inclusion for Lang's omission ( and will this mean that Lang at Carlton days are over?)

Finally - this game has no bearing on finals so both Clubs are playing for their own reason(s) Carlton in Teague's first (official) game as permanent coach and St Kilda for any claim Ratten may have as the new coach to be appointed...

A win against St Kilda who (arguably) until Ratten took over were along with Melbums - the most disappointing performers for the year would be another indicator of positive direction.

Hannerbury and Steven are big ins for them - Charlie Curnow would have been a more than handy presence for Carlton if available - I reckon our forward line isn't playing as well as their's - but maybe - Teaguey has a cunning plan ready for Ratts- involving Dow and Kennedy in midfield rotations - releasing Crippa more into forward line...Cripps with 5 goals and a win.

Levi back makes the most sense. Can always swing him forward if we need another target.

On Thomas - it's not his last game, it's his last home game. Chance for the fans to get along and give him a proper send-off. Barring injury/suspension I'd assume he plays next week against Geelong.

Reckon Kennedy plays as a marking forward, so his fitness isn't as critical. I'm penciling him in for three goals.

Dow....dunno about it. Would have preferred Stocker, I think. Wait and see.

Hanners and Steven are quality ins, but will hopefully be missing a bit of touch. Hanners is potentially a liability, wouldn't be shocked if he failed to play out the game. Steven has fitness issues, and while he still has a good turn of speed I don't think he's as capable of doing it as often as he has in the past.

St Kilda have killed us in the past because we always had 4-5 players getting sucked into the contest, and they'd keep two or three on the outside as receivers. Gave them an easy outlet, they just had to knock the ball loose, didn't even have to win the contested ball. The outside players would then bolt forward together and handball their way to 50. Confident that Teague will have us better prepared, its been a noticable change under his watch that we've been setting up with our own outside receivers at stoppages.

Steele on Cripps will be critical for us, I think. Hopefully Crippa is in one of his moods and gives him the same treatment he gave Sloane.

Levi to Bruce, Weitering to Membrey, Plowman to Steven?

Harry CHF, Kennedy playing the old-school country FF role, Gov does his 3rd tall thing, as does Jack. They'll have Carlisle, Brown & Battle to mind those 4.

Always a chance Teaguey flips the magnets mid-game and we see Gov switch with Levi.

Not super keen on Dow playing forward, would rather him spend less time on field but rather be in the middle and going flat out at 100% for a burst before resting on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot wait for this match. So many milestones. Sunny day at the MCG, top of 17 degree. Perfect stage.
A few players a due for a bigger match.
Harry needs to pull his finger out.
Hoping De Luca gets on the end of few chaos ball kicks 2-3.
Kennedy in form will kick 2-3 goals.
Walsh is due for a big game.
Kruezer also needs to step up and win the centre bounces and round the ground.
We should have enough across the board to get over the line.
Da Da Ra Da Ra.. Huge game.

I figured its time to look forwards instead of back. Exciting times coming.
I always say I dont support a coach and its about the players, but Teaguey you beauty.
if you aren't supposed to love your team's coach, then, unfortunately, it's too late.

B: Plowman---------------Casboult--------------Simpson

H: Thomas----------------Weitering-------------Newman

C: Dow---------------------Cripps----------------O'Brien

H: SPS--------------------McGovern-------------Silvagni

F: Kennedy----------------McKay----------------Gibbons

Foll: Kreuzer, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: E.Curnow, Murphy Deluca, Fisher

I've been disappointed with how little time Cripps has spent forward. I don't want him there all the time, or even every game, but when he's being successfully tagged out of the game he still is constantly in the middle. I don't think any tagger in the game could follow him forward, he's a legit key forward when he's there. It's a great way to break a tag and have an impact.
I do agree. Cripps spending time forward seems like a good idea. He certainly gives the team a lift when he kicks a goal. I think Kennedy can then go into the center bounces for some short periods. We got him to Carlton for because we wanted him in the middle. Unfortunately his fitness has let him down. I do like Kennedy's ability to kick a goal. That has been a highlight in his past few games. No run with opposition player would want to compete with Cripps in a marking contest, so Cripps starting forward at some of the center bounces and Kennedy in the middle makes sense to me. Just another thing that I've sen in the last few games and in particular West coast, the opposition had an extra man in defense. they picked off our hurried entries and had time to clear our forward press with sharp passes. Once that happened they went down the ground for a quick goal. This has happened in both our last games. Cripps going forward on occasion could make a difference. One thing for sure, we do not want St kilda employing those tactics. Man them up! If we can win in the middle and stop the quick run out of the forward line the defense with Thomas in his last home game, will be OK

Fisher,LOB and Dow need 50 possessions between them.They need to start getting involved more.
Dow needs to play 5 mins each qtr on the ball and the rest as a floating fwd. No point playing him and not exposing him to any centre work.

LOB needs to run the wings as he has been but involve himself more.

Fisher just needs to run and work harder and involve himself more.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back