gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Think we need to pick a more physical side. Saints are a fairly strong and developed side. Some of our younger smaller bodied players are where our weaknesses is and the better sides have been able to exploit that.

We might lose some run is the only thing. Stocker is a fairly strong and hard at it youngster. I think we need to find a way to fit Kennedy back into that side. I think it's important to sure ourselves up physically. Particularly if it's going to be at the MCG and it might be wet.

Hard to say, the game might open up and guys like Fisher and O'Brien might be useful. I just think this is a moment where we make a point.

I reckon this game will be fiercely contested, at least it should be.

It's a bit of a shame Cuningham isn't fit, he would fit into this side nicely.

End of the day, potential future big name recruits will be watching closely, they will want to see us put in a strong performance, especially against a side we are probably competing with for players signatures.

They've got a couple of genuine A graders back in their side in Stevens and Hannerbury - so their honest midfield now is elevated to dangerous. I think their defense isn't as strong as WC or Richmond - but we lose the game if center bounces go their way as they did against Richmond their forwards are good marks.

Teaguey has a bit of work to do with midfield set ups I would imagine - Richmond were able to shark the ball at will to Kreuzer's taps and all our contested ball wins were easily nullified in the wet. I dont think St Kilda are going to be as well drilled as Richmond - but Ratts has them playing a dangerous attacking style.

On the INS V OUTS: Don't know how much a wet weather slog comes into calculations V playing on dry track...but forward defensive efforts and conversion from opportunity needs to lift.

Easy to point fingers at Fisher/Lang/DeLuca's inabilities to snag a goal yesterday - but Richmond are very well drilled and all our blokes are mids pretending to be small forwards - not an easy caper to pull off all the time. Still, it will be interesting to see how Teague 'parses' perfor5mances from various players against Richmond into this week's selections.

I'm not a 'buyer' of the " Kennedy can't play if McGovern plays meme" being touted on here. I like forwards who can actually take a mark and kick a goal and have some hurt factor when they make a tackle- some of Lang and Fisher 'efforts' yesterday were on the ordinary side of embarrassing. I reckon Fish prefers to play between the arcs and have some space to run in...the wing positions at Carlton are an open question as much as small forward issue in my mind - unfortunately Fish isn't really an overhead marking type and lacks the size required to match it with some of the bigger wins - same for LoB - but LoB has a lethal kick - I wish he got more of the ball and was used more often.

Really interesting game coming up.

Feb 5, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
cranky crikeys
Slight favorites here i reckon. The bookies agree.
MCG makes a bit of a difference too. If saints had played the crows at Marvel they'd be three in row. They play well there.
Saw em against the dees and they were in control the whole night. Looked quick and tough from the stands.

Blue baggers looked very flat footed against the tigers early yesdee. Cannot afford another start like that.
Weather doesn't help but the tigers didn't seem to be struggling with it. Saturday looking sunny/clear at this stage so I'm hoping for
similar conditions to the Cows game.

Last 2 weeks had some quality opposition. Hope the lads don't think this is going to be any easier.
Heads down lets roll these nutters with the same skill and precision we saw against Adelaide.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Speaks volumes to the respect and confidence that Teague has brought to this group that we are somehow narrow favorites against a team that has won 9 games this season and has a favourable recent record against us.

Blue since 72

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
NB: Haven't seem any footage of the game.

Not sure on changes however wondering if Harry takes a break and we go with Gov and Cas only for this one. Really seems to be struggling to have any sort of effect although after listening to Teague's post match he seemed to point the figure at execution in general but moreso further up the ground away from stoppages as the main issue.

Perhaps Kennedy for Lang. Having read the VFL thread common theme seems to be Paddy did alright but disposal a thing and should stay in the twos for the rest of the year.

Does anyone think Stocker will get a call up?

Bluezer

Senior List
Jun 9, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd like to see Owies and Kennedy come in and probably Lang and LOB out.

Owies may be getting gifted a game here but he does offer something we lack at the moment in fwd pressure.

DeLuca to a wing, Owies and Fisher small fwds, Kennedy a chop out in the middle.

Dec 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
NB: Haven't seem any footage of the game.

Not sure on changes however wondering if Harry takes a break and we go with Gov and Cas only for this one. Really seems to be struggling to have any sort of effect although after listening to Teague's post match he seemed to point the figure at execution in general but moreso further up the ground away from stoppages as the main issue.

Perhaps Kennedy for Lang. Having read the VFL thread common theme seems to be Paddy did alright but disposal a thing and should stay in the twos for the rest of the year.

Does anyone think Stocker will get a call up?

Stocker would be in the mix

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
At present I think Stocker and Kennedy for Lang and Deluca.

Whomever is on Steven's needs to run him off his legs and work him hard, he's obviously not the fittest at the moment and played largely on adrenaline against Freo.... tire him out and reduce his impact. Similar with Hannerbery.

Can't give up a start against this mob! It's imperative we control the game as we did against the Swans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back