Preview Rd 22 - Carlton v St Kilda Sat 17th Aug 1.45pm @ MCG - Team Post #237

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 games to go, I'd like to see a couple of players get a run.

Out: Jones (inj), Lang (Omitted), O'Brien (Managed), Fisher (Omitted)
In: De Koning, Owies, Stocker, Kennedy

Thomas, Weitering, Plowman
Simpson, Casboult, Newman
Setterfield, E Curnow, Murphy
J Silvagni, McGovern, Petrevski-Seton
Kennedy, McKay, Owies
Kreuzer, Cripps, Walsh

Int: Stocker, Gibbons, De Koning, Deluca

De Koning to play 2nd ruck when Kreuzer needs a rest, but also to be the interchange for any of McKay, McGovern or Kennedy, or even for JSOS with Kennedy moving into the midfield. I prefer Levi as a KPD instead of Goddard based on his current form so that's another reason for bringing in TDK. Kicked a couple of goals in the VFL on the weekend. Look at it as Goddard vs TDK in terms of first team impact and the future.

Owies has earned a look and is just taking Lang's spot. Lang has been okay in terms of pressure and the ball hasn't come in very well to him, but he does get brushed aside fairly easily and probably isn't running to dangerous spots as much as he should.

We have definitely lost some run with 3 of the 4 outs. LOB looks to have dropped off a little on his very good performances not so long ago. It's a long season and whether he rests or gets a run in the 2s with his mate Paddy, that's up to the fitness staff. As much a victim of wanting to see a couple of others get a chance as he is form.

Fisher is just nowhere near it at the moment. He's just as likely to do something good if it's dry, but he's still intent on running around the opposition, rather than through them and it can be a little bit of a momentum killer at times.

Stocker only lost his spot due to injury so I'd like to see him as part of the midfield rotation this time.

Kennedy plays tall up forward and hits hard in tackles when he doesn't have to patrol the whole ground. Can rotate with JSOS if necessary. Is also a beautiful shot for goal and we certainly need those. Only needs a couple of straight shots to have done his job really.

Fairly confident this will be a close game, you guy's have really shown a lot of fight since Teague took over and even if we were to kick away you would be confident about your ability to close the gap again.

I do think some people here are under rating Tim Membery he's 8th in the goal kicking this season for a reason.

Best of luck on the weekend.

Fairly confident this will be a close game, you guy's have really shown a lot of fight since Teague took over and even if we were to kick away you would be confident about your ability to close the gap again.

I do think some people here are under rating Tim Membery he's 8th in the goal kicking this season for a reason.

Best of luck on the weekend.
I am not under rating Membery…. I just don't like him :p

Casboult could go back and DeKoning could come in to play forward/ruck but I am leaning towards Goddard being a direct swap for Jones.

It's a wonder no one is talking about Thomas being played forward. He was a premiership and AA forward before years of injury brought him down. I know he is going brilliantly as a defender but I think that is more about him getting his body and fitness right.

Then again, St Kilda aren't overly tall up forward. We could replace Jones outright with a small defender like Cottrell and/or Stocker.

Cottrell or Stocker could come in and play a role in defence if we made such a move.

I think it's super important that we keep sending the message to our young players that they must be selected on merit and they must put in 100% each week. Fisher looks like a guy who is currently playing like he is an automatic selection regardless of form and could really benefit from a wake up call. We have gone the same path with Dow and McGovern which is great because they need more drive I feel. The comfort zone is a dangerous place and talent players sometimes need to have that hard work hard effort ethic drilled into them.

Kennedy was hugely stiff to be dropped last week. I'd like to see him played, even if his role consists of more midfield. I've liked his attack on the contest and he has a big of size about him which is a big deal in our side.

Cuningham is an interesting one. Anyone know what he did on the weekend? Did he play football at all? He'd be great to have up and going to put into that side.

I like that Dow improved his game on last week but I still feel that he needs to do more. I think one ok game shouldn't mean come straight back in. Would love to see him have a big breakout game in the VFL and get back in on that. Can't be easy getting back into the side.

Owies would be another to somewhat consider.

I just feel that Fisher and O'Brien are too small at this stage and are only contributing when they can get lose and get uncontested possessions. Want to see them competing more physically and closing the gap between those 20-25 possession games and these around 10 possession games. More effective tackling and demonstrating a willingness to make contact.

Saints will be looking to beat us physically and make it a contest I feel so if we are to play running players and smaller players I think they need to be capable of being physical out there.

Would love to see what Cottrell can do and get another look at Stocker.

Argument for leaving Goddard out and going smaller this week.

St Kilda have a short forward line, their talls are Bruce (197cm) & Membrey (188cm), who are mobile. Too mobile for Goddard imo.
I'd have Weitering take the taller Bruce and Plowman on Membrey.

Who does Goddard play on?
just thought tall for tall replacement. what if carlisle moves up?

bruce is the one to watch imo. although his kicking aint too flash. plow on membrey sounds ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget this is also Daisy's 100th game for Carlton.
Bloody good on him, copped heaps at the start but has worked hard, given 100% and been great for us during tough times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back