Unofficial Preview Rd 22 Geelong v Fremantle at KP.. does it even matter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
From my point of view, I’ve watched a few VFL games this year both live and on TV and I’ve seen more in Miers than I have in a few players who have gotten a game.
He may flourish even higher at the top level
Maybe... he didn't really come alive in the JLT but we were poor and that was a while ago.

He's not in the team I would pick, I'll say that much. But if we put him on the field I'll be excited to see what he can do - just bear in mind I felt the same way about Parsons last week.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I don’t disapprove of GHS at all. That’s why I put his name up......I know others here think he’s too slow, but I think hes very good in close, and is a good decision maker, which negates his lack of foot speed to a certain extent. He’s also a good reader of play, which our other small forwards aren’t, .......and he’s a strong mark.
He’s ahead of all the kids imo.
Is able to kick more goals than all our small forwards too. All of them!
Not that that's really important for forwards.
We need a player like Parsons cause he's faster.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Some real half arsed supporters just on the first page of this thread. No wonder we're being labelled handbaggers again. Bunch of spoilt mother******s.

Will keep giving a s**t until it's done. Until then will be willing the boys on despite our obvious shortcomings.
We're getting called Hanbaggers again because we are meekly falling apart in finals.
Not because of the supporters who think its not acceptable any more.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Scott hates rucks and outside players, also hates giving young players continuity.

Should be playing 2 rucks, why risk Henry.

If its Taylor or Henderson as second ruck then it doesn't matter cos they are old and cooked but putting in a young undersized player is just dumb and too risky.

He actually HATES outside players, rucks and giving young players continuity?

Hates? As a highly paid coach, who is aiming to win premierships, he actually hates these things?

Gee, I better tell Brian Cooke right away.

Lucky that Scotty let his secret out to you...:rolleyes:

Sounds about right - we lose Stanley, Menzel may have to pass a fitness test and Tuohy has a broken hand

But Freo get to welcome back Fyfe and Walters has the shortest hamstring injury in the history of the AFL

:'(
Who cares? If we can't beat Freo we don't deserve finals.
Worrying about their ins is rather pointless.

Just be nice to get a break is all - have we had one week this season where we haven't lost a player to injury?

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
And probably play like he did 5 years ago kicking six against Geelong for the Suns. Bennell probably annoys me like no other player for the talent he has and what he seems to this point have done to waste it.

The norf and Port results help us out no end, and i just hope the side settles. To be honest against the Tigers, the kick by i think Cunico (or Thurlow), but by whoever, i wasn't upset that he tried it...obviously the ball was a shank in the last quarter then, but he was playing the game the way Geelong play best. That's the sort of dare Geelong need to display to upset the applecart of teams like the Tigers, so dropping him after that would be a blow to his confidence. Would it be better for him to be encouraged to continue to play that way and just gain confidence in future?

It's been said by many, Turbocat in particular that this fractured continuity is sort of meaning the bottom half of the side sort of never gel properly, or at least get the chance to do so. It's in and out, sometimes players coming in from the McGoos with limited form anyway, and hence we have games where we are close but no cigar.

I recon Cunico is a talented player who just needs some confidence, and Thurlow too....these are players who have only played a relative handful of games. Richmond is being rewarded by having a big group of players having been together for a while and all being on the same page. WE seem to be all over the playbook, and hence we are having a season of fits and starts.

Incidentally, unless Geelong with the Flag this season, it'll be the season of our most losses since 2006. Perhaps that's something to put into perspective....the Cats lost nine in 2015 in going 11-9-1 with the abandoned Crows game, and have nine losses now. We've had a pretty good run at it i guess. But i agree that we need to change up something in the coaches box or match committee to get the best out of the group in the future.

Thurlow's shank against Richmond still stings it just looked awful the whole way the Geelong player behind was so deflated and we still had a chance to win it. So many close games this season and at least 3 we could of won in the last minute that we lost unfortunately Hawthorn was a bigger margin although that games should of been closer

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
View attachment 542185
Melbourne are missing the 8 if they lose today. They are 0 & 7 against the top 9 sides this year, and no reason to think they will beat Eagles in Perth or GWS

That’s some kind of favourable draw gifted to them by the AFL. 13 games against sides ranked 10th or worse.
I have us making it, and getting a home final against Port now.

I have Melbourne making the 8 I wouldn't be surprised if they won both games, to be honest. I have a couple of upsets in the first week

Richmond by 30 (Ess)
Geelong by 30 - 45 ( Freo )
Sydney by 10 ( GWS ) Injuries Kelly ( doubt ) Shaw, Greene, Scully etc
Hawthorn by 50+ ( St Kilda )
Melbourne 10 ( West Coast )
Adelaide 25 ( North

Final Round

Port Adelaide ( beat essendon ) AO
Geelong beat Gold Coast 50
Collingwood beat freo
Hawks Beat swans at the MCG
Melbourne beat GWS at MCG

Ladder

Richmond
West Coast
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Melb
Sydney
GWS
Geelong

I don't think that I will have many takers on Melbourne winning both lol but I'm going with my gut I think they will win both games. Sydney will split the remaining games and GWS will drop Both.

I just had to edit to make a footnote maybe this is me being an absolute Geelong die hard and managed to find a way to not go to sydney in the elimination final LOL!!!!!!

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I have Melbourne making the 8 I wouldn't be surprised if they won both games, to be honest. I have a couple of upsets in the first week

Richmond by 30 (Ess)
Adelaide 25 ( North

Final Round

Collingwood beat freo

Ladder

Richmond
West Coast
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Melb
Sydney
GWS
Geelong

I don't think that I will have many takers on Melbourne winning both lol but I'm going with my gut I think they will win both games. Sydney will split the remaining games and GWS will drop Both.

I just had to edit to make a footnote maybe this is me being an absolute Geelong die hard and managed to find a way to not go to sydney in the elimination final LOL!!!!!!
I don’t mind if you are correct but I think dees will lose both. Swans will lose both and gws will win both!

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong

If this were a Geelong team meeting rather than an internet discussion forum I'd subscribe to that logic. It's a truism that the players should only be worried about the things under their own control. But this isn't that. We're just random supporters who have no control over any of these factors. And clearly the personnel available to both sides - including Fremantle - is a factor that will have an impact on the course of the match. So as far as I'm concerned the idea that their ins are irrelevant or not worth caring about doesn't really stack up. It's common sense to hope that they field a weaker team. The stakes are huge this week, we absolutely must win. Yes, we go in heavy favourites either way, but anything that gives us a better chance of winning is self-evidently desirable, and not having Fyfe or Walters in their side is one thing that would give us a better chance of achieving that outcome. Why feign indifference to that?

Last edited:

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs

Richmond by 30 (Ess)
Adelaide 25 ( North

Final Round

Collingwood beat freo

Ladder

Richmond
West Coast
Hawthorn
Collingwood
Melb
Sydney
GWS
Geelong

Melbourne and Port will both lose their last two games, and the Swans are a chance too as well.
We are in good shape to make the 8

If this were a Geelong team meeting rather than an internet discussion forum I'd subscribe to that logic. It's a truism that the players should only be worried about the things under their own control. But this isn't that. We're just random supporters who have no control over any of these factors. And clearly the personnel available to both sides - including Fremantle - is a factor that will have an impact on the course of the match. So as far as I'm concerned the idea that their ins are irrelevant or not worth caring about doesn't really stack up. It's common sense to hope that they field a weaker team. The stakes are huge this week, we absolutely must win. Yes, we go in heavy favourites either way, but anything that gives us a better chance of winning is self-evidently desirable, and not having Fyfe or Walters in their side is one thing that would give us a better chance of achieving that outcome. Why feign indifference to that?
Granted, a fair perspective also.
Personally, I'd rather they're in. Give us a test. We either fail it and miss finals or succeed and make it.

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Abbott is definitely coming in for Stanley. Cunico needs to come back in for Parsons. As for the others. Coach and players still seem to have no idea (at least publicly) why we are so s**t in clearances and form fluctuation. Tuohy was adamant Hawthorn have the best zone in the game (better than Richmonds) - also said perhaps the reason we seem to play better in the last quarter is because other teams are fatigued and we take more chances because we have to. Basically nothing to suggest they know how to fix our issues.. Ling seems to think all our mids attack the ball too much instead of setting up properly around the contest so we can get a feed off. I think the majority of the issue is our mids get out positioned and rucks aren't putting the ball in the right place to give our mids first use. I think our players give up position too easy as well. Basically a cluster * - not sure it can be fixed in 2 weeks? Our form needs to be bloody good the last 2 weeks if we are any chance of having an impact - we can't expect to trip into finals and then 'turn it on'.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
ok how about a little clarity about Zac Smith? There seemed to be intimations for most of the season that he make have an injury or niggle, maybe to do with his back. Does anyone have some actual information or has it all been methane and he was just playing like crap? Would like to see him regaining some form for these last games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back