Review Rd 22 Review - Freo Order Well Cooked Chook

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally.

Worth suggesting they hang onto Darling, Yeo and co at all costs for their next tilt. And reminding them that Simpson may be in a trough at the moment, but he is premiership coach.
I'm not trying to be a freagle on here... But I am curious on how their rebuild will pan out.

Yeah the eagles have an ageing squad. But I am curious how many eagles that played in winning finals in 2017-9, are willing to see out this rebuild.

I don't see them improving much in 2024 with their current list. Say if they make finals in 2026 or 2027, how many of them old eagles will be left?

A guy like jack Darling could play until he is 34 or 35 years old. Elliot Yeo and Dom Sheed could too.

Tim Kelly could play until he is 35. But that's partially due to his body not traveling a lot when he was 18-22 years old.

Again... I look at our 2016-21 rebuild. Our last finals win was 2022 Elim final. A 36 year old David Mundy and 31 year old Michael Walters were in that side.

Those 2 blokes were the only guys left from our last finals win in 2015 vs the swans.

I would of added Fyfe but he didn't play in our 2022 Elim finals win, he was injured

My take away from that game is

We have very talented young forwards in our side who will become champion forwards in the future
We are improving the speed of our ball movement
The increased number of tackles from each player is paying off
The midfield has become a thing of beauty with the addition of Young
Our defence has filled the void left by Young’s absence
The standard of opposition was clearly low but we kept our foot on the pedal till the final siren nonetheless

The west coast fans behind me kept going on about how good Luke Jackson is. Every time he got the ball its "this guy's a monster", "he's still so young", "he's worth everything they paid for him."

Last edited:

The west coast fans behind me would not shutup about how good Luke Jackson is. Every time he got the ball its "this guy's a monster", "he's still so young", "he's worth everything they paid for him."

I mean, they aren't wrong.

Yeah he really uses that leap effectively to contest.

Was called on to provide an aerial contest too often as well but did a good job. Especially in the first quarter.

This is what I noticed. He has improved his aerial work such that he makes a contest. Next step is to take a grab over his head occasionally.

The west coast fans behind me kept going on about how good Luke Jackson is. Every time he got the ball its "this guy's a monster", "he's still so young", "he's worth everything they paid for him."
Funny that over on their miserable board they love to say how s**t Jackson is 😂

Funny that over on their miserable board they love to say how s**t Jackson is 😂
Sad Mask GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Hewett, Long and Ginbey are going to be good players. Williams showed a bit.

But their senior players are ****ed. MacFatty, Darling etc are surrounded by mid age players like Witherden and SPS that are total shite. Edwards, Foley, O’Neill, Rotham…Hoo boy they stink.
Yep is great but who knows whether his body will hold.

Oscar Allen is holding things together like the boy with the finger on the dyke. Barrass is almost 30 and constantly injured. Surprised they didn’t encourage him to go to Sydney.

Harley Reid etc are going to have 3-4 years of getting taken out the back and flogged.

They're where we were back in 2016 but at least we still had Fyfe/Sonny/Mundy etc who could provide some semblance of leadership through the following years of pain. They're going to need to absolutely nail their early picks if they're any hope of bouncing back within ~5 years, though recent history isn't on their side there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're where we were back in 2016 but at least we still had Fyfe/Sonny/Walters etc who could provide some semblance of leadership through the following years of pain. They're going to need to absolutely nail their early picks if they're any hope of bouncing back within ~5 years, though recent history isn't on their side there.
In 2021, they were us in 2016. Now they are where we were in 1995

Last edited:
Michael Fredericks only had 9 possessions and only 1 goal in a game where he should have had a lot more given his speed and evasiveness.
I know he has the X factor but generally we haven't seen enough of it and he really needs to start to show a lot more in order to hold his place.
freddy is best utilised when a team has pressed up highly and there is space left out the back for him to run into, unfortunately for freddy, the eagles were never in a position to press us in their half so we couldnt utilise him in that phase of play. we targetted him a fair bit with entries by memory, however these where usually pretty high balls and freddy did well to contest them and get the ball to ground. i was happy with his game, didnt suit him particularly but was still honest

It is worth noting the centre clearance work by the mids to get us back on track in the first quarter when we were behind.
3 goals in 45 seconds of play.
With 6.10 left in the quarter Johnson gets our 1st.
5.45 Shulz snaps our 2nd
5.25 Sturt bangs through number 3.

All started by Jackson and Co, although they were 3 exceptional snaps.

well that was amusing. Positives? Where do you start and where do you finish. I've written enough theses in my life.

Negatives? First few minutes had me worried and frustrated when they brought us down to their level for a while. After that. Not really.

4 years of sh5t now for WC. You wonder how many more. One top 10 pick (or even 2) isn't going to change anything for a few years. Maybe merge them with Gold Coast and just call them the Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back