Review Rd 22 Review - Freo Order Well Cooked Chook

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not trying to be a freagle on here... But I am curious on how their rebuild will pan out.

Yeah the eagles have an ageing squad. But I am curious how many eagles that played in winning finals in 2017-9, are willing to see out this rebuild.

I don't see them improving much in 2024 with their current list. Say if they make finals in 2026 or 2027, how many of them old eagles will be left?

A guy like jack Darling could play until he is 34 or 35 years old. Elliot Yeo and Dom Sheed could too.

Tim Kelly could play until he is 35. But that's partially due to his body not traveling a lot when he was 18-22 years old.

Again... I look at our 2016-21 rebuild. Our last finals win was 2022 Elim final. A 36 year old David Mundy and 31 year old Michael Walters were in that side.

Those 2 blokes were the only guys left from our last finals win in 2015 vs the swans.

I would of added Fyfe but he didn't play in our 2022 Elim finals win, he was injured
All those you mentioned are finished, Darling is a wasted space, has been for a while.
Yeo is finished. far too slow now.Has never got back into shape.Sheed is living off one kick, as good as it may have been.
Kelli is at least trying to show the kids the way to play.
NN should have retired at end ot last season, He was never going to get back Over weight and his knees were never going to allow him to be bale to leap again.

All those you mentioned are finished, Darling is a wasted space, has been for a while.
Yeo is finished. far too slow now.Has never got back into shape.Sheed is living off one kick, as good as it may have been.
Kelli is at least trying to show the kids the way to play.
NN should have retired at end ot last season, He was never going to get back Over weight and his knees were never going to allow him to be able to leap again.
Well Jack Darling turned 31 years old in June. He can easily play 2 or 3 more good years of footy.

Elliot Yeo turns 30 in october. He could play 2 or 3 more years while the next batch of young eagles mids develop.

Dom Sheed is 28, turns 29 in April. Again, He would have 2 or 3 years of good footy left.

Tim Kelly Turned 29 just last month. I seriously think he can play until he is 34 or 35 years old. His path wasnt as obvious like most WA guys playing for the dockers or eagles at 18-23 years old, having to travel interstate every 2 weeks. Tim Kelly was playing in the WAFL from 2014-17. He was drafted to Geelong in 2017. Played 2 seasons there in 2018-19, He wasnt travelling outside of victoria every 2nd week.

But for the other older Eagles...

Shuey Made the right call. At 33 years old and bad hamstrings, Time was right for him to retire.

Nic Nat, I could justify him having a contract in 2023. The eagles choice of rucks were not great.

As for Shannon Hurn, He should of retired at the end of last season Like Josh Kennedy did. He played 12 games for 250 disposals. You might as well rotated 3 or 4 other kids to play on the back line if that was the case.

Well Jack Darling turned 31 years old in June. He can easily play 2 or 3 more good years of footy.

Elliot Yeo turns 30 in october. He could play 2 or 3 more years while the next batch of young eagles mids develop.

Dom Sheed is 28, turns 29 in April. Again, He would have 2 or 3 years of good footy left.

Tim Kelly Turned 29 just last month. I seriously think he can play until he is 34 or 35 years old. His path wasnt as obvious like most WA guys playing for the dockers or eagles at 18-23 years old, having to travel interstate every 2 weeks. Tim Kelly was playing in the WAFL from 2014-17. He was drafted to Geelong in 2017. Played 2 seasons there in 2018-19, He wasnt travelling outside of victoria every 2nd week.

Shuey Made the right call. At 33 years old and bad hamstrings, Time was right for him to retire.

Nic Nat, I could justify him having a contract in 2023. The eagles choice of rucks were not great.

As for Shannon Hurn, He should of retired at the end of last season Like Josh Kennedy did. He played 12 games for 250 disposals. You might as well rotated 3 or 4 other kids to play on the back line if that was the case.
Darling is a pea heart. I could play better and add more value/effort.
He’s clearly checked out since COVID and getting his pay. Wanted to get 500 goals, and has done.
Absolutely should be shown the door. How you teach the players work ethic when he’s around? At least Tabs, Fyfe, Walters have shown more in the last few years then he has .

Yeo is cooked with an injury meant for overtraining 20-24 year olds. He hasn’t been able to shake OP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly posted elsewhere but worth reiterating:

"Essendon (84.4 games), Hawthorn (83.2) and Fremantle (74.3) were the least on average experienced teams across the round, with the Power coming in next."

Fremantle
24 years, 138 days74.3 games

West Coast
25 years, 179 days98.2 games

I can't see DArling playing good footy for another three years, he has been burden for the last three.
Yeo can not get his body back into shape, plays over weight.
Sheed has one kick that binds his career.
Of those, only Kelly still has something to offer.

View attachment 1774100
Which player got the rs nom?
MJ also took on the opp on his own and made the goal happen from 50 that got us out of our 1st quarter rut and get a move on. Can't be understated how important that was (Aish then followed the blueprint). Very impressive. Hewett did nothing much of any consequence (not that his team were helping)

I agree with most of your thoughts with the exception of Yeo, he had a good patch for about 5 years but has been continually in rehab since then. He is cooked.

I agree with most of your thoughts with the exception of Yeo, he had a good patch for about 5 years but has been continually in rehab since then. He is cooked.
You might have a point about Yeo.

But lookin' at the eagles rebuild. It's gonna be a while before they make finals again.

Getting 16th with 6 or 7 wins next season would be a massive improvement.

Our 2016-20 rebuild wasn't bad. 2016 was the only bad year where we went 0-10 and 4-18.

2017-9 we finished bottom 6 with 8 or 9 wins.

2020 we got 7 wins and 10 losses, yet strangely we could of made finals. We lost 3 or 4 games by 12 points or less.

Possibly posted elsewhere but worth reiterating:

"Essendon (84.4 games), Hawthorn (83.2) and Fremantle (74.3) were the least on average experienced teams across the round, with the Power coming in next."

Fremantle
24 years, 138 days74.3 games

West Coast
25 years, 179 days98.2 games
Very fascinating seeing that.

Go back to around 2019-21, the dockers and eagles average age would still be the same.

But the difference was the eagles were finals contenders and making finals.

Dockers were rebuilding but slowly going up the ladder.

Now the eagles have fell off a cliff, having an over reliance on those 30-32 year Olds.

Dockers made finals in 2022. So happy we won that Elim final last season.

I will say this... Lookin' at the current squad, this team should have a good 4-6 years of contending for finals.

From the weekend the evils decided against cheating with drugs.
We saw the result.
Their 4 "flags" were as a result of cheating with drugs.
What do you expect from them in the future?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nothing to do with drugs...

they are gonna spend at least 2024 and 2025 in the bottom 4 at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back