Autopsy Rd 22 The Teague Train Refuses To Derail - Blues by 10

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckoned the Saints played well, just a good thing that we won. We were the better side, only reason we didn't win easy was because we made a few too many errors.

Newman - What a great recruit he has been, fitted into our side well, reads the play, fits into a team defence system, plays hard and this match I thought he was great. Stood up when the pressure was on.

Curnow - Easy not to notice his game because he does a lot of the grunt work but he was clean and he played well.

Murphy - Thought he played really well, hit his targets and was hard at it. Completely different player he's been the last few seasons. Those weaknesses are disappearing. The bad tackling and bad kicking are behind him at the moment. Played a great game.

Kreuzer - Just gets off the chain against lesser ruckmen. Not that his opponent was bad but If Kreuzer is decent in the ruck and he marks well then that means he is playing well and this is what he did.

Casboult - Turned into a really good utility. Won so many crucial contests. Great to have such a big and strong in the air player in defence. Thought he was excellent in all areas.

Simpson - Forget his age for a second, this guy is a gun half back, was excellent and demonstrated genuine fitness and athleticism.

McKay - When he is leading up at the footy he's playing well. Easy to stop when he isn't but leading up at the ball carrier and getting a run at it, very hard to hold him down. Don't know what's up with his kicking, it was a thing which wasn't much of a problem.

O'Brien - Liked that he ran hard and found a lot of the footy. Didn't have his best day by foot but it was just the day I think. Liked his game. The trick here is backing it up and performing against a top mature side.

Dow - Liked his game. Needs to tidy a few things up but he won some crucial contests and found the footy which was a tick for mine.

McGovern - For the first time he looked fit enough to be playing AFL. Not fit enough to be what he should be but fit enough to compete at this level. Got the ball playing up the ground and kicked goals. Just go back and kick drop punts, you're a gun at that, keep it simple.

Thomas - Boy I am not comfortable moving him on, it must be salary cap issues because he's a genuine gun. He just did so many things which require a quality, experienced and skilled player to do. Intercepts and hit difficult targets. Plays hard footy and his all-round game is great.

Cripps - Didn't have a massive game and we still won which I like. We can't be reliant on Cripps having big games to win. We can't be all about Cripps and we weren't which was great.

Walsh - He really carried the ball and took the game on and he played well but the next part of his game is hurting the opposition by foot. He's not a bad kick but just not quite that damaging boot that I think he can be yet.

Silvagni - Liked his game even though things didn't go his way. Did good stuff by hand.

Deluca - Looking leaner and no doubt is getting his running up to scratch. Kicked that clutch goal which was good. Wasn't the neatest game but he was decent out there.

Gibbons - Played pretty well but like a lot of the time his kicking let him down. I'm sure this is the reason it took so long for him to get drafted, just not the best kick but I still thought he was ok.

SPS - Still has some general defensive stuff to tidy up, occasionally got wrong sided, needs to learn where to position and how to use his body but that will come. His attacking game was good, kicked us into the corridor and used it well.

Lang - He was decent. Did some pretty nice things but he doesn't seem to do a lot. Can't fault his game too much though.

Plowman - Had an ok day but just got caught mismatched on opposition that were too tall too often but his game was decent overall.

Fisher - He's not playing good football at the moment. Become a fringe player. Needs to pull his finger out. Did some nice things and came into the game a bit later on but there is a fair bit lacking in his game right now.

Kennedy - Didn't really do a lot, serviceable is a good word for his game. Contributed which is all you can ask sometimes.

Setterfield - Bit of a different role playing half back but he played it alright. Good string to add to his bow if he can play there.

I thought Gibbo was bloody good and was used everywhere. A lot of your story I liked as usual gbatman but don't make me come and find you! Let's just agree Gibbo was bloody solid again...And your sorry:handok::handfist:

He was great but as often is the case, his kicking is not a real weapon. Certainly does everything else pretty well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I :blueheart::blueheart::blueheart: this pic!

69346998_10156513099552078_8218431783595671552_n.jpg

Really? He’s averaging 1 for and 1 against this year. I wouldn’t consider that a lot of free kicks, especially given how often he’s infringed against.

Exactly compare that to Jacob Weitering who is averaging 6 free's for and 21 against.. He is pulled up for everything, whilst our forwards have to wrk through the scragging with no help from the umps.

and just looked at another club key forward Ben Brown is 42 frees for & 12 against.

I reckoned the Saints played well, just a good thing that we won. We were the better side, only reason we didn't win easy was because we made a few too many errors.

Newman - What a great recruit he has been, fitted into our side well, reads the play, fits into a team defence system, plays hard and this match I thought he was great. Stood up when the pressure was on.

Curnow - Easy not to notice his game because he does a lot of the grunt work but he was clean and he played well.

Murphy - Thought he played really well, hit his targets and was hard at it. Completely different player he's been the last few seasons. Those weaknesses are disappearing. The bad tackling and bad kicking are behind him at the moment. Played a great game.

Kreuzer - Just gets off the chain against lesser ruckmen. Not that his opponent was bad but If Kreuzer is decent in the ruck and he marks well then that means he is playing well and this is what he did.

Casboult - Turned into a really good utility. Won so many crucial contests. Great to have such a big and strong in the air player in defence. Thought he was excellent in all areas.

Simpson - Forget his age for a second, this guy is a gun half back, was excellent and demonstrated genuine fitness and athleticism.

McKay - When he is leading up at the footy he's playing well. Easy to stop when he isn't but leading up at the ball carrier and getting a run at it, very hard to hold him down. Don't know what's up with his kicking, it was a thing which wasn't much of a problem.

O'Brien - Liked that he ran hard and found a lot of the footy. Didn't have his best day by foot but it was just the day I think. Liked his game. The trick here is backing it up and performing against a top mature side.

Dow - Liked his game. Needs to tidy a few things up but he won some crucial contests and found the footy which was a tick for mine.

McGovern - For the first time he looked fit enough to be playing AFL. Not fit enough to be what he should be but fit enough to compete at this level. Got the ball playing up the ground and kicked goals. Just go back and kick drop punts, you're a gun at that, keep it simple.

Thomas - Boy I am not comfortable moving him on, it must be salary cap issues because he's a genuine gun. He just did so many things which require a quality, experienced and skilled player to do. Intercepts and hit difficult targets. Plays hard footy and his all-round game is great.

Cripps - Didn't have a massive game and we still won which I like. We can't be reliant on Cripps having big games to win. We can't be all about Cripps and we weren't which was great.

Walsh - He really carried the ball and took the game on and he played well but the next part of his game is hurting the opposition by foot. He's not a bad kick but just not quite that damaging boot that I think he can be yet.

Silvagni - Liked his game even though things didn't go his way. Did good stuff by hand.

Deluca - Looking leaner and no doubt is getting his running up to scratch. Kicked that clutch goal which was good. Wasn't the neatest game but he was decent out there.

Gibbons - Played pretty well but like a lot of the time his kicking let him down. I'm sure this is the reason it took so long for him to get drafted, just not the best kick but I still thought he was ok.

SPS - Still has some general defensive stuff to tidy up, occasionally got wrong sided, needs to learn where to position and how to use his body but that will come. His attacking game was good, kicked us into the corridor and used it well.

Lang - He was decent. Did some pretty nice things but he doesn't seem to do a lot. Can't fault his game too much though.

Plowman - Had an ok day but just got caught mismatched on opposition that were too tall too often but his game was decent overall.

Fisher - He's not playing good football at the moment. Become a fringe player. Needs to pull his finger out. Did some nice things and came into the game a bit later on but there is a fair bit lacking in his game right now.

Kennedy - Didn't really do a lot, serviceable is a good word for his game. Contributed which is all you can ask sometimes.

Setterfield - Bit of a different role playing half back but he played it alright. Good string to add to his bow if he can play there.

Appreciate the assessment as haven't seen the game.:thumbsu:

Just on Fisher, his dip seems to have coincided with Bolts going and Teague pulling him out of the middle.

Do re-call him in an interview early in the year saying he prefers on ball and inside. Think he's gonna have to accept we have better options there.

Personally I see him as a HF or even an option on the wing with his speed and kick. When he first started he had a beautiful long kick and was scoring some great running goals.

Seems to not have taken the change very well.

Exactly compare that to Jacob Weitering who is averaging 6 free's for and 21 against.. He is pulled up for everything, whilst our forwards have to wrk through the scragging with no help from the umps.

and just looked at another club key forward Ben Brown is 42 frees for & 12 against.
different players, different styles, against different defenders, in completely different (unique) circumstances - why do our forwards need "help" from umpires?

Enjoyed and agreed with pretty much all of that analysis gBatman - just thought I’d emphasise your insightful comments on Murph, because I think that his massive improvement under Teague is one of the biggest factors behind the transformation of our side in the second half of the season. Of course Murph’s role has changed, but as you suggest it’s also the way in which he’s approached his role that has made the difference - much harder in the contest, and thankfully he’s rediscovered his silky skills along the way.

While I love Murph and appreciate all that he’s done for the club through so many difficult times, tbh I’ve been more critical of Murph than many Bluebaggers over the journey, but if he can continue to play like he’s playing at the moment, then it’ll pretty much be all bouquets and no brickbats from me from here on in ... as long as the bouquets don’t detract from his hardness in the contest, that is.

Appreciate the assessment as haven't seen the game.:thumbsu:

Just on Fisher, his dip seems to have coincided with Bolts going and Teague pulling him out of the middle.

Do re-call him in an interview early in the year saying he prefers on ball and inside. Think he's gonna have to accept we have better options there.

Personally I see him as a HF or even an option on the wing with his speed and kick. When he first started he had a beautiful long kick and was scoring some great running goals.

Seems to not have taken the change very well.

Seems to be the case. I just think that he's slipped in the physicality side of things. Is playing forward more which is fine but hasn't really excelled as a forward who runs hard and gets free or as a pressure forward who tackles strongly.

I think he looks best in the midfield but his physicality isn't where it needs to be for that just yet. I think perhaps as an outside player or forward he's just not getting in the right places and perhaps his running may not be where, say a Gibbons is.

I was expecting more as a forward so it's disappointing. I think he has a lot to learn and a fair bit of physical development to go.

Perhaps he liked it better when there was more space over the back of the zone from the forwards pressing up too much under Bolton.

Either way he needs to improve and adapt to how we are playing.

Seems to be the case. I just think that he's slipped in the physicality side of things. Is playing forward more which is fine but hasn't really excelled as a forward who runs hard and gets free or as a pressure forward who tackles strongly.

I think he looks best in the midfield but his physicality isn't where it needs to be for that just yet. I think perhaps as an outside player or forward he's just not getting in the right places and perhaps his running may not be where, say a Gibbons is.

I was expecting more as a forward so it's disappointing. I think he has a lot to learn and a fair bit of physical development to go.

Perhaps he liked it better when there was more space over the back of the zone from the forwards pressing up too much under Bolton.

Either way he needs to improve and adapt to how we are playing.

Agreed I was expecting more from him forward too.

My concern with the physical development piece is he is naturally lightly framed and I firmly believe bulking him up too much could do more harm than good (will be interesting what Russell does with him physically). Reckon Freo did it to Stephen Hill early on so he could play in the middle and ruined other more natural aspects of his game.

While he can win his own ball being just off the contest for the handball receive and go is where he works best.

different players, different styles, against different defenders, in completely different (unique) circumstances - why do our forwards need "help" from umpires?

Your argument is fine for a 1 off game, but when the trend is so clear is obvious he does not get afforded the protection from the umps that others get... and our young defender Weitering gets away with nothing..I think its a combination of us being a lowly ranked side and continuously getting the lowly ranked and inexperienced umpires each week appointed to our games, these young umpires would feel intimidated by the high profile players and are harsher on our players than the better sides. Hopefully this changes as we start winning more games.

Back