Autopsy Rd 23 2018 Swans v Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

It's like the last month didn't happen on here.

Forget the fact everyone had given up on the season only for us to beat three of the teams people were saying were the ones that could test Richmond in Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS, forget that we went from apparently certain to miss the finals completely to playing off against a direct rival for a top 4 spot in the last round of the year, forget the fact that Hawthorn are a good side and well coached, forget that we are missing two of our most influential players (one of whom is up there as the most influential player in the league)...

And then forget the fact that we did look like we could win it, that we would have if we had kicked straighter. That we were not outclassed or dominated. That we only lost by 9 points. Forget the fact we beat Hawthorn earlier in the season too.

Forget all of that and let's go back to slagging off every player in the team, the coach, demanding they be sacked, traded... Is there no resilience in this supporter group at all?

We lost a game we could have won, that we should have won. It is disappointing. But it isn't a reason to abandon the players and coaches of this club.

We have a week off to get the players we missed this week right, and then next weekend we have a home final against GWS, a team we beat well just a couple of weeks ago, a team we have already beaten twice this year. Win that and we play the loser of West Coast and Collingwood - we have three wins from our three games against those teams this year. Win that and we are one game away from the Grand Final.

I'm not saying it is going to happen. But I'm saying it can. Those who are writing Longmire and the team off after the loss on the weekend would do well to stop forgetting that they were written off a month ago and stood up and got the results we needed to play finals again, something we have done every year under Longmire, something we have done every year except one in the last fifteen.

And you call the players soft? The smallest bit of hardship or difficulty and this board has a collective freak out.

Last edited:

Forget the fact everyone had given up on the season only for us to beat three of the teams people were saying were the ones that could test Richmond in Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS, forget that we went from apparently certain to miss the finals completely to playing off against a direct rival for a top 4 spot in the last round of the year, forget the fact that Hawthorn are a good side and we'll coached, forget that we are missing two of our most influential players (one of whom is up there as the most influential player in the league)...

And then forget the fact that we did look like we could win it, that we would have if we had kicked straighter. That we were not outclassed or dominated. That we only lost by 9 points. Forget the fact we beat Hawthorn earlier in the season too.

Forget all of that and let's go back to slagging off every player in the tram, the coach, demanding they be sacked, traded... Is there no resilience in this supporter group at all?

We lost a game we could have won, that we should have won. It is disappointing. But it isn't a reason to abandon the players and coaches of this club.

We have a week off to get the players we missed this week right, and then next weekend we have a home final against GWS, a team we beat well just a couple of weeks ago, a team we have already beaten twice this year. Win that and we play the loser of West Coast and Collingwood - we have three wins from our three games against those teams this year. Win that and we are one game away from the Grand Final.

I'm not saying it is going to happen. But I'm saying it can. Those who are writing Longmire and the team off after the loss on the weekend would do well to stop forgetting that they were written off a month ago and stood up and got the results we needed to play finals again, something we have done every year under Longmire, something we have done every year except one in the last fifteen.

And you call the players soft? The smallest bit of hardship or difficulty and this board has a collective freak out.
Really well put Robbie, brilliant :thumbsu:

Forget the fact everyone had given up on the season only for us to beat three of the teams people were saying were the ones that could test Richmond in Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS, forget that we went from apparently certain to miss the finals completely to playing off against a direct rival for a top 4 spot in the last round of the year, forget the fact that Hawthorn are a good side and well coached, forget that we are missing two of our most influential players (one of whom is up there as the most influential player in the league)...

Forget all of that and let's go back to slagging off every player in the team, the coach, demanding they be sacked, traded... Is there no resilience in this supporter group at all?

I imagine most are really pessimistic given our recent finals records, just never know what Swans will show up in week one.

I imagine most are really pessimistic given our recent finals records, just never know what Swans will show up in week one.

I feel like this season I don't know which Swans will show up from quarter to quarter, let alone week to week!

We dominated Melbourne for two quarters for a convincing 9-point win :think:

I feel like this season I don't know which Swans will show up from quarter to quarter, let alone week to week!

Precisely. This has really been the hallmark of this season. We have not been capable of putting teams away after opening up 3 or 4 goal leads, but then we are not blown away either. It has made for nail chewing wins and gutting losses.

From quarter to quarter we are all duck or no dinner or feast or famine. Our famine is the inability to win I50's (Saturday we had a rare win) and to prevent repeat D50s.

Our mids, aside from being regularly beaten this year at centre clearances, have seemingly been less likely to hit the scoreboard (Parker and Heeney aside).

Hanners has 1 goal, George has 3, Jack 6 or 7 and jpk 10.

Aside from putting pressure on Budd to be the Scoreboard, we have relied on Haywood, Ronke and Papley for scoreboard pressure. Other players who have played forward have not scored enough.

KPFs McCartin and Reid have 10 between them in 15 games. Not enough. McCartin shows enormous promise, has sticky hands, mobility, competes very hard and possesses great game awareness. He has had a great year but at 192cm he is a classic 3rd forward.

The other mid sized forwards we have played such as Fox, Towers and Rohan have only rarely been effective.

Essentially, we just treat that loss as a qualifying final. We lost. Now we get our second chance. Still alive.

Personally, I see little to no class difference between us snd any team in the top 4 bar the Tigers.

Precisely. This has really been the hallmark of this season. We have not been capable of putting teams away after opening up 3 or 4 goal leads, but then we are not blown away either. It has made for nail chewing wins and gutting losses.

From quarter to quarter we are all duck or no dinner or feast or famine. Our famine is the inability to win I50's (Saturday we had a rare win) and to prevent repeat D50s.

Our mids, aside from being regularly beaten this year at centre clearances, have seemingly been less likely to hit the scoreboard (Parker and Heeney aside).

Aside from putting pressure on Budd to be the Scoreboard, we have relied on Haywood, Ronke and Papley for scoreboard pressure. Other players who have played forward have not scored enough.

KPFs McCartin and Reid have 10 between them in 15 games. Not enough. McCartin shows enormous promise, has sticky hands, mobility, competes very hard and possesses great game awareness. He has had a great year but at 192cm he is a classic 3rd forward.

The other mid sized forwards we have played such as Fox, Towers and Rohan have only rarely been effective.

A couple of points - I've never heard the phrase "all duck or no dinner" before and I like it! Also, McCartin as you said has been great, but it's always going to be a tough ask when he's your main focal point up forward. I hope he watches footage of Gunston from the Hawks, because if he would be able to develop into that sort of role, I'd be very happy with that.

A couple of points - I've never heard the phrase "all duck or no dinner" before and I like it! Also, McCartin as you said has been great, but it's always going to be a tough ask when he's your main focal point up forward. I hope he watches footage of Gunston from the Hawks, because if he would be able to develop into that sort of role, I'd be very happy with that.

Agree with your point about Gunston. Similar players.

"All duck or no dinner" is an old expression.

Complaining about a 9-point win now …………… I wish my club was able to complain about a win like that. ;)

Just heard part of an interview with Clarkson in which he said that Hawthorn aren't getting carried away because they still haven't been tested against the better teams in the comp.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aliir was not as bad as some think
See I was all set to give your post some cred and then ......

Aliir stank. He played like a drunk little girl who can barely stand up. A little girl who's lost, drunk and staggering around with her feet in buckets of eels and her hands tied together and smeered in grease. He couldn't catch, he couldn't move without slipping over and he couldn't run. He's clearly can't play in wet or greasy conditions.

Of course we're inconsistent. We're a team with too many injuries to key players and a lack of ruck options so our performance relies too much on our bottom 7 or 8 players all playing well (see Ronke's 7 goals). That's why we're inconsistent, particularly with an underage forward line. The lack of ruck options doesn't help as we struggle in the clearances which makes it hard to get first use.

The fact that we are in a good place going into finals is somewhat astonishing. We've really made the best out of what we have.

See I was all set to give your post some cred and then ......

Aliir stank. He played like a drunk little girl who can barely stand up. A little girl who's lost, drunk and staggering around with her feet in buckets of eels and her hands tied together and smeered in grease. He couldn't catch, he couldn't move without slipping over and he couldn't run. He's clearly can't play in wet or greasy conditions.

Yep do not as bad as some people think then, you are one of the people I guess

Of course we're inconsistent. We're a team with too many injuries to key players and a lack of ruck options so our performance relies too much on our bottom 7 or 8 players all playing well (see Ronke's 7 goals). That's why we're inconsistent, particularly with an underage forward line. The lack of ruck options doesn't help as we struggle in the clearances which makes it hard to get first use.

The fact that we are in a good place going into finals is somewhat astonishing. We've really made the best out of what we have.

What the list with the most all australians in the comp that champion data ranked number 1?

( in before injuries youngsters champion data being crap etc etc)

What the list with the most all australians in the comp that champion data ranked number 1?

Yes, the list that has since lost a number of key players, has battled with injuries and only two have made all Australian nomination. Face it, we've had a tough year.

I'd say I'm in the majority on this one. Aliir struggled badly in the wet. It's there for all to see.

Hanners is a bust in any conditions, Nohan is worse. Their injuries arguably helped the team

( in before injuries youngsters champion data being crap etc etc)
Does a past all australian mean that much? In the case of 2 of ex all australians, Smith and Jack, both are well past their best.

Franklin, Kennedy and Hanners have battled injury all year and all 3 will never be the players they were in say 2016, although if fit still brilliant players.

Parker and Rampe are in their primes.

Mcveigh whilst no longer in his prime has probably bucked the trend as he's had a great season and still our best ball user particularly under pressure.

Champion data may rank us the best list but seriously heading into this season would you have done the same?

I was hoping for and to a certain extent expecting a top 4 finish, but to lose Mills and Reid long term along with fitness concerns of a few others mentioned means we've just missed out on that.

Does a past all australian mean that much? In the case of 2 of ex all australians, Smith and Jack, both are well past their best.

Franklin, Kennedy and Hanners have battled injury all year and all 3 will never be the players they were in say 2016, although if fit still brilliant players.

Parker and Rampe are in their primes.

Mcveigh whilst no longer in his prime has probably bucked the trend as he's had a great season and still our best ball user particularly under pressure.

Champion data may rank us the best list but seriously heading into this season would you have done the same?

I was hoping for and to a certain extent expecting a top 4 finish, but to lose Mills and Reid long term along with fitness concerns of a few others mentioned means we've just missed out on that.

I think we have a great list of excellent players capable of great things, but happy to be in the minority in terms of rating that talent

Everyone can have an opinion that’s fine, people like bungee can think we aren’t much Chop and a battling middle of the road team/

Stack our talent side by side with anyone imo

I think we have a great list of excellent players capable of great things, but happy to be in the minority in terms of rating that talent

Everyone can have an opinion that’s fine, people like bungee can think we aren’t much Chop and a battling middle of the road team/

Stack our talent side by side with anyone imo
Fair enough, I'll let you and bungee continue the debate.

Were still winning this years flag anyway!

This is spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back