Autopsy Rd 23, 2021 - 44 point loss vs. Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Our midfield needs to get ready to run this pre-season. Tanks to be built please.

Our ability to consistently apply defensive pressure is appalling.
Horne-Francis is contemplating faking a serious knee injury to avoid coming to us 😂

You must have watched only watched 4 quarters of footy.
Go watch the other 4.
We checked out when Cunners got sick IMO
Come on. We fought back from 5 goals down last week to get to within 4 points in the last quarter. That wouldn't be possible if we "checked out weeks ago" as you've said.

Need to improve our pressure.

To many teams just run the ball from one end to the other without getting near them.

Bonar, Lmac and atu wtf was that- here’s an idea man up on your opponent.
Hall , LDU and Jy no need to pull of the Hollywood plays all the time.
Need to get guys that want to work hard both ways.
Need to get a mature tall - throw a decent contract at mcstay and see if he wants to come.

Pretty pathetic tbh. Flat as a tack all day. We are s**t, have been for 5 years, been some great signs this year but the reality is we are inconsistent and I think mentally fragile. Just not used to winning and don’t really know how to. Have faith and hope but more than likely there are more years of pain ahead.

Positives:
- We are going into this off-season under absolutely no illusions of where we are at. We need to continue to hit the draft & hit it hard.
- Tarryn Thomas is a sensational player. 26 tackles, 7 tackles & 1 goal.
- Larkey finishes the year with 42 goals. Pretty unbelievable considering how we’ve moved the ball & his lack of support.

Negatives:
- Undid a lot of the good work we’ve done since the bye. Really disappointing.
Interesting that I didn't hear anything about Thomas breaking the tackles record.

Still crying out for more leadership.

Been critical of the captain, but him and Ben10 missing shows how much we need senior players standing up.

Hope today burns with the players in the offseason.

It started with Goldstein getting beaten soundly by a SANFL level ruckman.

It continued with our three leading midfielders getting outworked all over the ground.

It ended with the small/medium defenders unable to commit the most basic defensive skills.

The shittest performance of 2021. Noble should be fuming.

Undid a lot of the good work we’ve done since the bye.

I don't view it like this.

Gains we've had were real.

Still a ways to go.

Progress isn't linear.

Thank f*** the season is over.

I never want to see a spoon again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of carry on about our forward entries this year, but the two game plan aspects that are the most concerning from my perspective are:

- What’s plan B when oppo block the corridor? This is the number 1 priority to beat us, so we need to work out what is the alternative. Kicking down the line isn’t it.

- Our kick ins. Just slow, stagnant & predictable. Oppo allow us the cheap kick to the pocket which boxes us in & very difficult to score. It requires a piece of brilliance from someone in the corridor to result in a transition scoring opportunity. It’s not sustainable.

I don't view it like this.

Gains we've had were real.

Still a ways to go.

Progress isn't linear.

Thank f*** the season is over.

I never want to see a spoon again.

Exactly. I really hope that the club are furious at winning the spoon and don't content themselves with pick 1, regardless of what player we are able to draft.

A lot of carry on about our forward entries this year, but the two game plan aspects that are the most concerning from my perspective are:

- What’s plan B when oppo block the corridor? This is the number 1 priority to beat us, so we need to work out what is the alternative. Kicking down the line isn’t it.

- Our kick ins. Just slow, stagnant & predictable. Oppo allow us the cheap kick to the pocket which boxes us in & very difficult to score. It requires a piece of brilliance from someone in the corridor to result in a transition scoring opportunity. It’s not sustainable.
I want stamina and kicking over that, there’s some fundamentals that need work before tactics

Bang on the money, not having an alternative to the corridor game stuck out like dogs balls in the second half of the tigers game. Next 2 weeks the opposition didn’t allow it all day and we’ve looked ordinary. Long way to go.

Come on. We fought back from 5 goals down last week to get to within 4 points in the last quarter. That wouldn't be possible if we "checked out weeks ago" as you've said.
I know you’re saying Rod.
But those lapses just mean mentally we aren’t switched on for a whole game.
Some of the footy the past three weeks resembled the start of the season more so than the post bye form.

Earlier in the 2nd half of the year, we tried going wide pushing the oppo numbers down to the wing, then thrust it forward through the middle once the space opened up.

We tend to try and hit kicks towards a player leading towards the 2nd extractor so it comes out as clean as possible. The downside is any mistake leads to a costly turnover. Especially when the retriever leaves their man. Playing top 4 footy structures with an 18th placed team is what is unfolding right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back