I love this guy
1629627352259.png

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone who thinks JZ shouldn’t go on has rocks in their head. Missed his leadership immensely today. No one stood up either when we had a bit of momentum or when we were down (most of the game tbh) and our defence was down.

Not convinced on Atu, though he’s raw. Bonar I’m convinced is much better than he’s shown post-injury. Atley one more year. Taylor and Stevo need to be way more consistent. Goldy and Taz nearing the end. Etc etc.
Heaps and heaps to say but I’m drunk and annoyed so will leave it there. Go North. See youse next year.

We have had games like this with Ziebell. I don’t think he would have made much difference today. His best games have come when we had good presence in the midfield and scoreboard pressure, which is as it should be to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Okay, breathe.

It was an absolutely insipid game, but we can't forget all of the good work we've done after the bye.

Going to take a silver lining out and say that this was a reality check and will give us more ammunition to take pre-season to the next level.

Onwards to 2022.
That's what I was thinking actually.

No chance we think we're further along than we are after this performance. A few blokes went missing when it mattered.

How many people think we missed JZ today?

Ps just whacked on the west coast game. Advise those feeling adrift on a locked down Sunday at the end of a sh*t year to do the same. That said, West coast are cooked. Spoiler: we win.
You spoiled it for me😡😡😡😡😡😡

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We have had games like this with Ziebell. I don’t think he would have made much difference today. His best games have come when we had good presence in the midfield and scoreboard pressure, which is as it should be to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, we have. He’s one player ultimately. But we still need him. He would have made a difference today.

Bertie22

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A good dose of reality I think.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. We're not the best 18th team ever and we're not a basket case. Plenty to work on and lots to work with.

Great first season from Noble but don't get too comfortable.

If you're not excited about the future as a North supporter then you're a miserable campaigner.

Earlier in the season, there was a past player function, addressed by Boomer. The general message was that performance wise it is going to be 2-3 years of pain for the Club! One down, let's hope that it is the minimum. There is certainly much to be hopeful about, but let's maintain perspective. Strap in, enjoy the good times ahead and accept that there will be days of disappointment. Such is the development phase!

And really, does the AFL competition have to have a final 8 in an 18 team comp? And the 8th place goes to a side with 50% success? Much as I would love us to be playing finals footy, how satisfied would you really be if that was us? When we make the finals again, we need to be really making a statement!

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Earlier in the season, there was a past player function, addressed by Boomer. The general message was that performance wise it is going to be 2-3 years of pain for the Club! One down, let's hope that it is the minimum. There is certainly much to be hopeful about, but let's maintain perspective. Strap in, enjoy the good times ahead and accept that there will be days of disappointment. Such is the development phase!

And really, does the AFL competition have to have a final 8 in an 18 team comp? And the 8th place goes to a side with 50% success? Much as I would love us to be playing finals footy, how satisfied would you really be if that was us? When we make the finals again, we need to be really making a statement!

Surely it's TWO down. s**t, I thought last year was more painful than this one!!!!

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Reality check for the 'best 18th placed team ever'.

When I suggested we might not win this I copped it left right and centre. Where are all those ******* heroes now???

We have loads of individual talent, but our problems wont be fixed by more high draft picks. You can't win games of Footy by letting your opponents kick 3, 4, 5+ goals in a row which is something we do consistently.

There are some very big positives that we can take out of this season though, we just need to keep expectations tempered for the next year or two and hope that Noble & co are able to get the best out of our players.
It was swimming against the tide to be realistic in the preview thread alright. Unless you've done it elsewhere, you're showing admirable self restraint not to bring up this little gem from Royal Flush. Hasn't aged too well.

Zero football knowledge
You've made a fool of yourself in the GDT and The Autopsy thread.
Going for 3/3 hey?

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot of carry on about our forward entries this year, but the two game plan aspects that are the most concerning from my perspective are:

- What’s plan B when oppo block the corridor? This is the number 1 priority to beat us, so we need to work out what is the alternative. Kicking down the line isn’t it.

- Our kick ins. Just slow, stagnant & predictable. Oppo allow us the cheap kick to the pocket which boxes us in & very difficult to score. It requires a piece of brilliance from someone in the corridor to result in a transition scoring opportunity. It’s not sustainable.
They are better now than they've been for years but the answer to this is maybe Chol or someone similar. Someone who can run and hit a pack hard and mark on the wing or in the square. Ben McKay could do it but we need him to lock down a KPF. We creally need better mobile contested marking. Like we had with Brown and Waite. Moreso with Waite but Brown could do it too. We need someone who can mark with authority between the arc and the wing, even if we don't use them because will attract opposition attention.

We also need to open up space and clear the * out of the area where we would otherwise mark short kicks. So many times today we pulled defenders into the space around 10 - 25 m from the ball carrier.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They are better now than they've been for years but the answer to this is maybe Chol or someone similar. Someone who can run and hit a pack hard and mark on the wing or in the square. Ben McKay could do it but we need him to lock down a KPF. We creally need better mobile contested marking. Like we had with Brown and Waite. Moreso with Waite but Brown could do it too. We need someone who can mark with authority between the arc and the wing, even if we don't use them because will attract opposition attention.

We also need to open up space and clear the fu** out of the area where we would otherwise mark short kicks. So many times today we pulled defenders into the space around 10 - 25 m from the ball carrier.

Yeah fair point Ferb, I just think there is more to it then having another KPF to crash packs. It’s great for a bail out option, but it’s not a sustainable plan B.

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
After a bit of reflection I don't think the result was such a bad thing. It reinforces how much we still need to improve to become a good side.

Really liked TT and Larkey's games today. Larkey contested work has improved out of sight since the start of the season. He has Coleman potential.

Hall and Taz were also good.

No other positives really, the midfield was soundly beaten, aside from Goldy, they are young and this can happen.

A strong, injury free pre season, with some fresh faces will see us hit the ground running next year.

Hopefully this COViD s**t show is behind us and we can watch our boys next year.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
About 3 senior players and about 3 kids by virtue of being kids are excused.

The rest should be ashamed of that outing. Deplorable team effort and to use the current speak they have to "own" that.

1st appointment over summer - a tackling coach that teaches how to not get sidestepped by glacier sized ruckmen.

Really flat way to see out the season. Hope Noble fries a few of them.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
We will never win another game in Adelaide. Just won’t happen.
17 years since we last beat the crows.
10 years since we beat Port.

18/11 next year. That is pathetic. Sad way to end the year but clearly we checked out weeks ago.
We busted a gut getting back within 4 points of the Swans. With the players out, and the lack of work and weeks out of certain players, it was going to be a tough gig, but the midfield and centre bounce work was a bit shithouse. I think we were finished last week.

Back