Autopsy Rd 23, 2021 - 44 point loss vs. Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah fair point Ferb, I just think there is more to it then having another KPF to crash packs. It’s great for a bail out option, but it’s not a sustainable plan B.
It just gives us more options. And its not just crashing packs. Its being a mobile marking target who can also take contested marks.

We need to work harder to create space as well all round.

I will get shot down for this but today was the day to try bmac forward. Adelaide didn’t have any huge forwards and Taz and walker could have handled it. He got 6 touches in defence and was almost nonexistent. It would have been nice to see what he and Larkey could do together

I will get shot down for this but today was the day to try bmac forward. Adelaide didn’t have any huge forwards and Taz and walker could have handled it. He got 6 touches in defence and was almost nonexistent. It would have been nice to see what he and Larkey could do together

Our future backline has holes all over it. Looks even worse if we take our best young defender out of it. A great forward line & midfield is worthless if we don’t have a solid defensive unit.

Our future backline has holes all over it. Looks even worse if we take our best young defender out of it. A great forward line & midfield is worthless if we don’t have a solid defensive unit.
Yep agree but in the last game of the season bmac got 6 touches and 1 tackle.. He gave us zero value down there. Since Taz has come back he had zero offence to his game.

Right now, there’s only him and Corr (assuming he’s ok) that you’d lock in there in 3-4 years time. McDonald probably finds his way back there. It’s frightful.

Yep agree but in the last game of the season bmac got 6 touches and 1 tackle.. He gave us zero value down there. Since Taz has come back he had zero offence to his game.

Most important thing for the team right now is for Ben is to continue to develop his game in defence. If anyone is getting sent forward it’s Tarrant.

Really? Our backline has been the reason why we didn't get 100+ point beltings in the first 10 rounds. They've performed well.

It's the delivery forward that needs the most work.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really? Our backline has been the reason why we didn't get 100+ point beltings in the first 10 rounds. They've performed well.

What? In the first 10 rounds believe it or not we have gotten an 100 point smashing. Cough Good Friday cough

It starts in the centre, when Goldy is negated by 3 gamer i have never heard of, alarm bells started ringing.

Personally, i think Goldy started to show he was running out of petrol tickets about 3-4 weeks ago, not unexpected as he has basically been a 90%+ TOG Ruckman for season after season, this must be addressed asap. At this stage the succession plan is a bit of a conundrum, and consists of Xerri and Edwards, although i like him, Tom Campbell is not part of the future senior Ruck picture.

We are too small, all over the ground. Midfield was monstered and outworked. Backline was under fire all day but by god do some of them make shithouse decisions, either with the ball or without it.
Atu and Bon are miles off being regulars.
LMac worst game I reckon I’ve seen him play.…..was reactionary every time instead of going for the ball.
Simpkin‘s disposal was diabolical.
Was like boys against men out there.
Time and again we tried to tap the ball past an Adelaide player, they just bee-lined they ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our backline has exceeded my expectations this year, however that does not ignore the fact that Hall, Ziebell & Tarrant are approaching the end.

Personally I’m of the view, if we sort the backline & midfield, that the forward line will take care of itself. Our forward line delivery has improved a lot since the bye, hence Souv & Zur’s goal tally.

You are right...

You will get shot down for it.

Lagged behind them in posession all game. Only period we ever hit the front was the first 3rd of the last quarter (table below).

1629635867147.png

1629635972426.png

Players don't get to check out. They are professionals and paid good money. Effort must be a non-negotiable condition of any player's employment

Would be disappointed if I heard a eulogy saying Fred Smith died because the heart surgeon had checked out during the bypass surgery because he was young and had had a hard year due to all the discos being closed.

No excuse for lack of effort
Totally agree. What’s this ‘checked out’ rubbish? Since when do professional sportsmen who’ve endured a woeful season and finished bottom of the ladder ‘check out’ of their final game - when there’s a chance to finish the year on some sort of high? What a cop out ….

I’ll confess that I overrated the state of our rebuild, thinking we could beat a good chunk of the comp on our day and thinking ahead to the great victories that await us next year. However, today served as a brutal reminder (to me at least) that the rebuild must continue apace.

We’ve done well in terms of the personnel we have already put in place, but we must continue to make difficult choices and prioritise around the pursuit of our longer term objectives (flags). If we cut hard again this year and put ourselves on a credible path to sustained success, I’m all in.

Meh.

We went in flat.

The scoreboard flattered us.

Adelaide were up and about with their small home crowd and their want to send off their retirees with a win. Anyone who’s watched them this year has seen they can be difficult when they’re applying pressure, which they did, and we wilted.

It happens in final round games, particularly interstate at a ground we are traditionally poo at, and when there’s bugger all at stake unfortunately.

It’s already consigned to the S-bend of history and I’m glad we head into the off season with a swift kick to the arse on the way out.

It’s been a bloody long season and it showed.

Bring on JHF, pick one in the PSD, and a huge preseason and load up for 2022’s season of Roodemption.

Very disappointing game, but shouldn't really take too much out of it.

• Goldy got monstered by a 3rd gamer. His past few games have gotten me worried especially since we have no ruck depth
  • Young fellas looked cooked, but it's been a long season so I can't really blame them. Especially given limited games last year and a start and stop vfl season.
  • Overall a bad end to the season, but if you look at the body of work since the bye, the signs are very promising for the young guys - luffy and co nailed the draft last year
  • Next year we will have comben, Edwards, Horne-Francis alongside our developing young players from this year. Can't help but feel excited about that.
  • Nobes is definitely the right coach for this rebuild job. He has performed exceptionally throughout the year. The culture of the team is undeniable after the train wreck season that was 2020

Today was poor, they weren't there mentally, some uncharacteristic lack of concentration it was almost laughable in some respect.
Goods were Thomas, Taylor and Ford. Larkey and Zurhaar were ok as well.
Phoenix threw himself about and showed some pretty good crumbing instincts but needs to hit the gym obviously.
Definitely lacking speed and good ball users off half back/wing and midfield, gun small forward and key position depth generally.
And two way running is a big issue obviously. This will take a couple years to address this through draft and other mechanisms but at least we are under no illusions what the needs are.
Nobes will have a bit more time hopefully to drill the guys over preason but I don't expect a rise above the bottom 8 bracket next year to be honest but still pretty excited for next year watching these young guys take steps forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back