Autopsy Rd 23, 2021 - 44 point loss vs. Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad call. Get behind Nobes 100% and don’t confuse the “what ifs” with the “what we haves” which is one of the best teachers, and I firmly believe will prove to be the best coaches in the comp.

2021 was a rebuild year. Half our list slashed at the end of 2020 and Nobes only got the job in November. Ninths months in the job. Nobody could have done better with such a young list and overhauled game plan as Nobes has done. Time will tell of course but I think we should feel ourselves extremely lucky to have landed ourselves Nobes after the Rhyce Shaw disaster.
As I said, nothing against Nobes. But if Clarko was on the market 12 months ago, or Shaw's annus horribilis was this year instead of last year and now Clarko is available, Clarko would be our coach.

Not disappointed with Nobes, but if we had the chance to secure the greatest coach of the modern era and bring a Shinboner home, we'd be silly not too.

Nobody wants to say it but of course that thought crosses the mind.

That's no slight on Noble who is showing a lot of good signs but fact is if Clarkson's exit had occurred in either of the 2 previous years we'd have been up to our necks in getting him over.

"Wasn't meant to be" is the exact phrase for Clarkson coaching north though.
Spot on.

Nobody wants to say it but of course that thought crosses the mind.

That's no slight on Noble who is showing a lot of good signs but fact is if Clarkson's exit had occurred in either of the 2 previous years we'd have been up to our necks in getting him over.

"Wasn't meant to be" is the exact phrase for Clarkson coaching north though.
Just out of curiosity, and I'm not having a dig but what makes people think that Clarkson is any better than Noble? It looked great at the time when they were getting all the early picks and landed Franklin, Hodge and co., but ever since those departures I think Hawthorn have been pretty average. Their youngsters look good, now, but their draft/trading has been terrible.

Just out of curiosity, and I'm not having a dig but what makes people think that Clarkson is any better than Noble? It looked great at the time when they were getting all the early picks and landed Franklin, Hodge and co., but ever since those departures I think Hawthorn have been pretty average. Their youngsters look good, now, but their draft/trading has been terrible.

I'll leave Noble out of it because he's not even had a trade period, draft (under his full watch) or preseason yet - 4 premierships gives Clarkson ultimate status regardless.

Franklin left and they won another 2 flags. You could split 2008 vs 2013-15 and say he won flags across 2 eras. They didn't get much useful draft collateral out of Franklin.

In 2015 I think it was they had to travel to Perth twice in the finals series and still clinched it.

They went top 4 in 2018 with a team that had no right to.

He's dropped off now as Malthouse, Pagan, Matthews et al did too in their last years. Based on his resume he has to be ranked higher than any unproven coach.

I am not suggesting I'd ditch Noble for him because I wouldn't . we've emerged on a journey together and it'd be wrong on many levels to break each other's trust right now.

It could be Davies-Uniacke if he puts time into his fitness. Sprinting. He doesn't need to be taught how to play football, but he does seem to drag his arse when opposition players have it. Sprinting sessions and plenty of them.
Yes this unfortunately is the biggest issue with LDU's game and not sure how it can be taught. One word 'Intensity'!!
He doesn't seem to have it when he's without the ball. On a good day he brings it out a few times a game but it does not seem to be part of his DNA.
Hopefully if he can brings his fitness up to AFL elite standard then he evolves into it naturally. At this point in time he still appears to allow players to run past him without implied pressure when he feels he can't make a contest.

Yes this unfortunately is the biggest issue with LDU's game and not sure how it can be taught. One word 'Intensity'!!
He doesn't seem to have it when he's without the ball. On a good day he brings it out a few times a game but it does not seem to be part of his DNA.
Hopefully if he can brings his fitness up to AFL elite standard then he evolves into it naturally. At this point in time he still appears to allow players to run past him without implied pressure when he feels he can't make a contest.
Also needs to learn to hit a target but he has plenty of mates in that realm

Very frustrating game.

- Goldy’s form dips when Cunnington isn’t around. They have an innate understanding of each other. The other mids just don’t have the same synergy.

- Todays game shows why Ziebell needs to be captain again next year. Simpkin isn’t ready yet. He tried hard today but was overwhelmed by a rampant opposition and doesn’t have the capacity to lift those around him with his voice just yet.

- These last few games has set Bonar’s confidence back a fair way. Hopefully he can find his mojo next year because he was a deadset worry anytime he was near the ball.

- When we fight back after facing a deficit it is always Zurhaar who changes the course of the game. The man is our spirit. With him injured today we had no hope of sustaining the momentum we briefly built.

- Hall was great as usual. A few people putting an asterisk on his game due to some turnovers but a precision robotic couldn’t do much better with the stagnant crap going on upfield. He’s an important leader for next year.

- Walker has been a serviceable stop gap since he was brought in and could yet play a bit of a Leigh Brown at the Pies role in the future but his lack of polish just unravels a lot of good that happens. Harvey Norman should sponsor him given how many new TV appliance sales he may have contributed to.

- Ford just simplifies everything and does the basics so well. I can hardly understand a thing he says when he speaks to be honest but that’s ok, I enjoy his footy doing the talking.

- Thomas will be our best player. The guy is silk somehow fabricated from steel. He did everything he could today but we just had too many passengers. Lucky to have him.

Now looking forward to the draft. Hopefully 2022 is going to be quite the ride.
What he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has been a pretty big pile on of our young mids. This certainly didn’t help.

Okay, here's a positive one: What about this huge effort by Aaron Hall? He had almost triple the amount of effective rebound 50s of the next player, and over 1/4 of all effective rebound 50s for the game.

1629722743444.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back