Autopsy Rd 23 Blues have a shocker. Bring on the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He does have a point. We most definitely showed improvement but allowed it to drop away far too easily and with 1 win in out last 10 or so games of the season that improvement has been undone somewhat. Granted we really pushed a few top eight sides in the second half of the year but it's been a very disappointing end to the season, we could have won our last 3 and gone into 2017 with all sorts of momentum.
Norf won 2 games in 12 since round 11. But because they're in the top 8, they get a pass for being s**t?

As has been said, it's been a long season for some our newer players who would never have played out a full season before now. It's disappointing, none the less, to finish the way we did... but the improvement this year has been good. We just need to keep building a good depth of talented players and the wins will come.

Who are we recruiting next year to teach these guys to kick it thru the big sticks?
That's the question isn't it. And I think we need better structure around the ruck contests for our clearances.

The one that has surprised me a little of late is Buckley. He's still making some bone head plays but he has a little more confidence about him. Almost as if he believes he belongs in an AFL team. You have to love his attack on the footy and with his speed he can be a real weapon.

The pulse on his AFL career is still there, I think he can make it.
Him and SOS have worked well together. Always seem them two putting on more pressure acts up forward than anyone else, really love it. And they look spent after their efforts, they genuinely have pride and put in the effort

That's largely true and no intended offence to any of these guys but when the team is stacked with VFL quality players, we're always going to struggle;
White, Rowe, Graham, Armfield, Buckley, Jones, Casboult along with a Thomas that's completely out of form.
I don't think that Thomas is out of form... I just think that because of his ankle instability, he can't get the same degree of separation from his opposite number as he used to pre-ankle injury... it looks like it has definitely cost him about a yard and a half of pace and a fair amount of agility as well.

I don't think that Thomas is out of form... I just think that because of his ankle instability, he can't get the same degree of separation from his opposite number as he used to pre-ankle injury... it looks like it has definitely cost him about a yard and a half of pace and a fair amount of agility as well.

It's not just that. He's mis-judging the ball and just can't take clean possession.

This is not the guy I watched 2 pre-seasons ago that looked to be an outright A-Grader.

The one that has surprised me a little of late is Buckley. He's still making some bone head plays but he has a little more confidence about him. Almost as if he believes he belongs in an AFL team. You have to love his attack on the footy and with his speed he can be a real weapon.

The pulse on his AFL career is still there, I think he can make it.
I think that you will find that his bone head plays are usually when he gets the ball and takes off and gets into a bit of trouble and doesn't have anyone running in support of him. In the games when we have been full of running and he has gotten support from guys running past him when he tries to take someone on and gets corralled, he doesn't seem to make that many visible bone head plays. They are still there, but covered up by the fact he has support to get out of trouble.

It's not just that. He's mis-judging the ball and just can't take clean possession.

This is not the guy I watched 2 pre-seasons ago that looked to be an outright A-Grader.
Those two things can be explained as being out of form... but they can also be explain away because of his lack of pace these days and being unable to get separation from his opposite number who is putting him under undue pressure.

But yeah... he is definitely not the guy he was 3 seasons ago when he arrived at the club.

Some serious overreactions ITT. We lost, we played appallingly but by and large we had a constructive season which we can build on next year. Had we won by the same margin you wouldn't see the same suggestions to cull 10+ players from the game.

I'm still unsure whether guys like Kerridge and Buckley are long-term options but for the most part they've served a need. What would be more damaging is to axe too many, start relying too heavily on our talented kids and end up going backwards. Bolton has managed the group well this year, has rewarded form and only exposed the young guys when they've been ready.

Our biggest advantage is when our structure works, we play very well and if we can continue to solidify the team we become very dangerous.

It's a frustrating way to end the season but we've got to take the bad with the good. We get to go to the draft, grab a handful of talented kids and start 2017 with a very different list again.
Taking a loss with a real effort displayed by the players is fine considering we know where we are as a team . But taking a loss with an effort such as yesterday brisbane and stkilda no thanks cant except that . As a team they checked out not acceptable . Accepting yesterday and those other 2 games is accepting mediocrity within the clubs culture . We will get better but it will take a lot longer if at all if we accept rubbish efforts and a lack of working hard for each other like that from our players . No passengers no excuses .

Last edited:
Well if you read the bottom part of the message i was responding to it states weve got to take the good with the bad . That for me says i accept yesterdays lack of effort because we are a bad side . Were you happy with the workrate of the players yesterday passmark ?

Taking a loss with a real effort displayed by the players is fine considering we know where we are as a team . But taking a loss with an effort such as yesterday brisbane and stkilda no thanks cant except that . As a team they checked out not acceptable . Accepting yesterday and those other 2 games is accepting mediocrity within the clubs culture . We will get better but it will take a lot longer if at all if we accept rubbish efforts and a lack of working hard for each other like that from our players . No passengers no excuses .

Where have I accepted it? It was an unacceptable loss; however, lets look at the bigger picture.

We have the worst list in the AFL.
1. No quality KPP over the age 19. Sam Rowe is currently our best player and he is mediocre at best.
2. Poor midfield depth. After Cripps, Gibbs, Murphy and Curnow the quality drops away dramatically. Murphy and Curnow were absent yesterday and there was a noticeable lack of run and carry. Sam Kerridge, a fringe player, is brought in after having the week off to cover.
3. Average ruck quality. Kreuzer won't get any better and Phillips is still a 50/50 chance of making it.

We're our own worst enemies when it comes to having quality players on the park and firing. If Gibbs and Cripps aren't playing out of their skins, we don't usually win.

Psychologically, we were spent. We played incredibly well against a pretty decent side against Melbourne and this week we were lethargic. We also lost Curnow who gives us not only run and carry, but a truckload of effort. He sets the tone for the team and we were light on in the midfield.

Essendon primed themselves for this one, were building for weeks leading up to it and put in a big final effort to instil a bit of optimism in their players and their supporter base. They threw everything they had at us and we were off the boil; that happens and we've witnessed it a few times this year with St Kilda, Brisbane and now The Bombers running on top of us.

s**t happens. It's a game, players have ups and downs, our form fluctuates like every team in the AFL. No team is exempt from a poor performance and it's how you respond that matters. Do you think Geelong were happy losing to us?

We pushed all of Sydney, Hawthorn and West Coast and if not for a few things not going our way we could have won all of them.

Be disappointed but by all means have a bit of perspective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if you read the bottom part of the message i was responding to it states weve got to take the good with the bad . That for me says i accept yesterdays lack of effort because we are a bad side . Were you happy with the workrate of the players yesterday passmark ?

No.

But I'm usually happy to state things once or twice. You seem more the kind of guy who needs to bang on endlessly for days at a time about the blindingly obvious .......post after post after post after post after post after post etc etc. and feel that your outrage about a result is somehow providing some stunning insight to something we've all missed.

Guess what, we see it.

The perspective was we got towelled an embarrassed by basically a seconds side with merrett and daniher in it . And why ? not because of the gaping holes we have in our side but the lack of effort to apply any meaningful pressure on the opoosition for 3 quarters . Our team checked out as simple as that . As did richmond and melbourne yesterday no coincidence none of these 3 sides have not tasted any real success in decades .

No.

But I'm usually happy to state things once or twice. You seem more the kind of guy who needs to bang on endlessly for days at a time about the blindingly obvious .......post after post after post after post after post after post etc etc. and feel that your outrage about a result is somehow providing some stunning insight to something we've all missed.

Guess what, we see it.
Ok your highness i will shut up until the next time our side decides to quit on its supporters for the 3rd time in 5 weeks .

I think that you will find that his bone head plays are usually when he gets the ball and takes off and gets into a bit of trouble and doesn't have anyone running in support of him. In the games when we have been full of running and he has gotten support from guys running past him when he tries to take someone on and gets corralled, he doesn't seem to make that many visible bone head plays. They are still there, but covered up by the fact he has support to get out of trouble.

Agreed. He takes the game on and has obviously been given a license to do so which is a good thing.

The perspective was we got towelled an embarrassed by basically a seconds side with merrett and daniher in it . And why ? not because of the gaping holes we have in our side but the lack of effort to apply any meaningful pressure on the opoosition for 3 quarters . Our team checked out as simple as that . As did richmond and melbourne yesterday no coincidence none of these 3 sides have not tasted any real success in decades .

No gaping holes? Sam Rowe is our full-back and Liam Jones and Levi Casboult are our full-foward and centre half-forward respectively. Matthew Wright was our third best midfielder.

We arguably had a worst side out there than Essendon did.

Last edited:
Not by the gaping holes? Sam Rowe is our full-back and Liam Jones and Levi Casboult are our full-foward and centre half-forward respectively. Matthew Wright was our third best midfielder.

We arguably had a worst side out there than Essendon did.
Sorry super moderator passmark has forbidden me posting more on this topic .
Whoops now ive done it !:p

Ok your highness i will shut up until the next time our side decides to quit on its supporters for the 3rd time in 5 weeks .
That would really be appreciated, cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back