Preview Rd 23 : Changes against The Carlton - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

XOH would be exceptionally stiff, he has been outstanding for the last month.

I reckon MDB is more likely to miss.
Who do you propose makes way instead of XOH? I think it's important Bruhn continues to get games plus he adds a different element to the midfield, maybe Peatling? Assuming MDB is out for Cogs.

So you play Mumford to ensure a Carlton win, but he might not get up for an Elimination without a bye round.
Or you play Briggs v Carlton, with the risk that entails.
Decisions, decisions.
If they stick to the 'one game at time' mantra, Mumford plays this weekend.
I think we really want players feeling we are on the up, if we make finals but lose in first week, it is at least an improvement on last year, and all while we have had about 6 home games, the most mucked around club due to covid.
So I say definitely play mumford, maybe both mumford and Briggs. Try to get a big lead vs Carlton, hopefully rest couple of players in the last qtr.

I think we really want players feeling we are on the up, if we make finals but lose in first week, it is at least an improvement on last year, and all while we have had about 6 home games, the most mucked around club due to covid.
So I say definitely play mumford, maybe both mumford and Briggs. Try to get a big lead vs Carlton, hopefully rest couple of players in the last qtr.

Playing mummy doesn’t make us look like we are on the up though.

Yep, me too, a pleasant surprise and good integrity for facing the Swans in the Elim Final.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree, good result. AFL has applied sense, given the scrapping of the bye round, to have all the likely finalists to play Fri/Sat to allow an extra day break before finals week 1 (except Bombers, but their elim final assuming they win this week, will likely get next Sundays timeslot for a full week break).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who do you propose makes way instead of XOH? I think it's important Bruhn continues to get games plus he adds a different element to the midfield, maybe Peatling? Assuming MDB is out for Cogs.
Peatling out before any of those.

Peatling for Greene
MDB for Cogs
Stein for Davis
Mumford for Briggs (if mummy needs a rest)
Peatling doesn't deserve to be dropped because he's actually played quite solidly for mine (Kenners Mk 2 IMHO), but we're probably carrying an extra back so I'd reluctantly agree. The others I'd agree with - Davis still deserves to be a first choice KPD and if he's healthy we get him back in; Cogs for MdB is the closest like for like, and without a bye round Mummy should be rested.

Bruhn and XO have been improving, and have improved the side these last few weeks, so I think should be rewarded - and are better balance for the side.

Peatling doesn't deserve to be dropped because he's actually played quite solidly for mine (Kenners Mk 2 IMHO), but we're probably carrying an extra back so I'd reluctantly agree. The others I'd agree with - Davis still deserves to be a first choice KPD and if he's healthy we get him back in; Cogs for MdB is the closest like for like, and without a bye round Mummy should be rested.

Bruhn and XO have been improving, and have improved the side these last few weeks, so I think should be rewarded - and are better balance for the side.
Tanner probably the one to make way the week after for a healthy Tom Green which would be annoying because I really like what I've seen from him recenetly

Tanner probably the one to make way the week after for a healthy Tom Green which would be annoying because I really like what I've seen from him recenetly
That deserves both :( and :). One for Bruhn out and one for TNT (Green) back in. But we also need to be careful of our balance, and not end up with too many inside midfielders on game days!

That deserves both :( and :). One for Bruhn out and one for TNT (Green) back in. But we also need to be careful of our balance, and not end up with too many inside midfielders on game days!
Agreed I am worried that leaves a little too inside mid focused probably just means more time for everyone in the secondary positions like Kelly on a wing, Taranto up forward, Cogs up forward, Ward on the wing, Green rests up forward, Hopper seems to be the only mainstay of the inside midfield which is fair

I'd actually drop Lloyd. Not because he is playing poorly.
Taranto and Toby forward is something that would give defenders nightmares.
Every time he sneaks forward he impressed me.
In the middle he gets a stack of it but doesn't use it well.
It is exactly like Toby before we pushed him forward

I'd actually drop Lloyd. Not because he is playing poorly.
Part of me agrees. I've always said, the kids need to be pushing Lloyd and Reid out on talent.

I'm just not sure we're there yet: Lloyd is probably still our best set shot kicker. And a decent player overall, although doesn't get enough ball. But may be we are at the point where the talent is there to push him out.

Peatling doesn't deserve to be dropped because he's actually played quite solidly for mine (Kenners Mk 2 IMHO),

I‘m on the record as being a huge Peatling fan - and I like the descriptor of Kenners Mk 2 - but I’m not sure you can justify his place in the side with the likes of Cogs, TFG or TNT on the sidelines waiting to get a game.

His debut was really really good and it definitely looks like he can play at the level, but he has dropped away a bit since.

v PA 19 disposals, 7 marks, 3 tackles 6 rebound 50s
v Gee 11 - 4 - 1 - 3
v Ric 9 - 4 - 2 - 2 (albeit with an improved DE)

I hope he has a long future at the club, but I’d be picking a few players ahead of him at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back