Preview Rd 23 : Changes against The Carlton - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of me agrees. I've always said, the kids need to be pushing Lloyd and Reid out on talent.

I'm just not sure we're there yet: Lloyd is probably still our best set shot kicker. And a decent player overall, although doesn't get enough ball. But may be we are at the point where the talent is there to push him out.
Think he plays a pretty important role as a connection between the mid and forward line, quite a good ball user which is something that this team lacks especially in the front half. Agreed that some of the young guys should be pushing him however.

Depends on what you want out a midfielder.... DO you want 40
Depends on what you want out a midfielder.... DO you want 40 possessions like a T Mitchell that rarely hurt the opposition? Or do you want a player who has an impact with the ball in hand. Notice during the last 4 years that none of the Richmond mids get those kind of stats even though players like Cotchin got big numbers earlier in their career.

Its what a player does with the ball and 15 contested possessions and 7 clearances is brilliant by any measure
These stats certainly reflect brilliant effort to get the ball. That’s never in question with Cogs, but since when did how and where a player gets the ball indicate “what a player does with the ball”?
I doubt a pro like Cogs would have rated himself brilliant for 63% disposal efficiency and just 100 metres gained from those hard won possessions. I know it’s just one game and he was on the comeback, but those disposal measures are well less than brilliant and might be more typical of Mitchell than Cogs at his best.
Hopefully his form on the track, not the dollars he’s on, earns him a spot and he plays well in a win.

That deserves both :( and :). One for Bruhn out and one for TNT (Green) back in. But we also need to be careful of our balance, and not end up with too many inside midfielders on game days!
What does it mean for next year. Our inside mids have plenty of years ahead ( apart from call an ward but he still goes well). Does taranto leave, or we just rotate them more? I Am not saying ours do, but for some mids resting forward means doing very little, mainly ball watching.

What does it mean for next year. Our inside mids have plenty of years ahead ( apart from call an ward but he still goes well). Does taranto leave, or we just rotate them more? I Am not saying ours do, but for some mids resting forward means doing very little, mainly ball watching.
Think we're going to continue to see a deep rotation of mids, Taranto's recent form as a forward suggets that he may be in line for a role where he's played much more up forward and then used around forward half stoppages and sparingly in the middle. I think for the most parts our mids are versatile enough to be pretty good in other roles such as playing on a wing or up forward.

If Match Committee is wavering on whether to play Lloyd, I think coaching minds will drift back to the near catastrophe vs North this season.

When the entire team was struggling vs North, Lloyd was critical in hitting the scoreboard in the final quarter kicking two very late goals.

There was some criticism at the time of his not converting a 3rd goal with his final kick, and instead jagging a point.

However, in hindsight, if he didn’t kick that point and get us the draw we would be missing finals on percentage.

For me, Lloyd is our true blue-collar talisman and I’d play him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If Match Committee is wavering on whether to play Lloyd, I think coaching minds will drift back to the near catastrophe vs North this season.

When the entire team was struggling vs North, Lloyd was critical in hitting the scoreboard in the final quarter kicking two very late goals.

There was some criticism at the time of his not converting a 3rd goal with his final kick, and instead jagging a point.

However, in hindsight, if he didn’t kick that point and get us the draw we would be missing finals on percentage.

For me, Lloyd is our true blue-collar talisman and I’d play him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
All very true .... but pretty sure he failed to score a point with the late kickk which cost us the game after he got us the draw

Guys like Hopper, Green, Coniglio and Taranto can all rest forward, take a decent mark, and kick goals. But we can't clog the forward line with them - remembering that Toby is essentially the same, as a former mid (just with excellent forward qualities). But we need to remember that Cal Ward is coming to the end of his career, so that's one less to fit into the rotation fairly soon, and the other thing to note is that they often get injured. So we do need quality to be able to account for injuries. MdB is the first guy for mine that needs to accept that he's the VFL mentoring mid, certainly an injury backup (as he has been these last couple of weeks), and maybe the occasional tagging job (but Ash has done fine there recently, with more speed).

All very true .... but pretty sure he failed to score a point with the late kickk which cost us the game after he got us the draw
Correct hit 2 late goals to square it up.
Missed the lot in the dying seconds where any score would win it.

These stats certainly reflect brilliant effort to get the ball. That’s never in question with Cogs, but since when did how and where a player gets the ball indicate “what a player does with the ball”?
I doubt a pro like Cogs would have rated himself brilliant for 63% disposal efficiency and just 100 metres gained from those hard won possessions. I know it’s just one game and he was on the comeback, but those disposal measures are well less than brilliant and might be more typical of Mitchell than Cogs at his best.
Hopefully his form on the track, not the dollars he’s on, earns him a spot and he plays well in a win.
You just latch onto stuff and don't let go do you? I mentioned his contract because its a reflection of his ability and he should rightly be selected when fit... but you can't get over the fact I mentioned his contract.... wooosssaaaaa and breath and let it go

Inside mids regularly go at that disposal efficiency.. but as you said.... its one game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big game this weekend and with no bye at least the players will have a 7 day break into the final (Assuming the win)
Carlton missing a stack of players but they do have a strong defence and Curnow forward will be a threat so the mids will need to be smart with the F50 entries

Team I would go with
Briggs to ruck with support from Sproule and HH, De Koning is a mobile ruck so it will be a good test for Briggs
Ash to tag Walsh which I think would be a good match up as the size difference is not that massive
I think they will keep the defence as it is (With Davis coming back in) to help improve the ball movement from D50, Whitfield has helped but important is the tall forwards providing marking options
Unlucky for those that miss out like Bruhn and Peatling but the best team needs to be on the park and hopefully some reserves footy soon for them to try and impress

Idun Davis Haynes
Perryman Taylor Cumming
XOH Ward Whitfield
Kelly HH Coniglio
Greene Hogan Lloyd
Briggs Hopper Taranto
XOH Sproule Kennedy Ash

Big game this weekend and with no bye at least the players will have a 7 day break into the final (Assuming the win)
Carlton missing a stack of players but they do have a strong defence and Curnow forward will be a threat so the mids will need to be smart with the F50 entries

Team I would go with
Briggs to ruck with support from Sproule and HH, De Koning is a mobile ruck so it will be a good test for Briggs
Ash to tag Walsh which I think would be a good match up as the size difference is not that massive
I think they will keep the defence as it is (With Davis coming back in) to help improve the ball movement from D50, Whitfield has helped but important is the tall forwards providing marking options
Unlucky for those that miss out like Bruhn and Peatling but the best team needs to be on the park and hopefully some reserves footy soon for them to try and impress

Idun Davis Haynes
Perryman Taylor Cumming
XOH Ward Whitfield
Kelly HH Coniglio
Greene Hogan Lloyd
Briggs Hopper Taranto
XOH Sproule Kennedy Ash
XOH is name twice

XOH is name twice

I was a bit lost on that last place and maybe down to Hill/Green/MDB/Bruhn

I think Sproule is a near certainty to stay in the side and it will be interesting to see where TOJ is at if he is training with the club or still on leave with his partner as I havent seen any pics of him training with the club recently

I was a bit lost on that last place and maybe down to Hill/Green/MDB/Bruhn

I think Sproule is a near certainty to stay in the side and it will be interesting to see where TOJ is at if he is training with the club or still on leave with his partner as I havent seen any pics of him training with the club recently
I think Bruhn fits best, however if Green is healthy that makes selection a bit tricky and he may take Bruhns spot

I would find it one of the more stranger decisions of recent years if an unsound Coniglio was rushed back a week before the finals on the back of basically no VFL footy, having played 4 games for the year and a team where the midfield is finally flying.

Cogs won’t be picked if he isn’t fit.

If he is then he deserves to be there, plus it’s a good game to get him ready for finals.

Here's an interesting statistic from AFL Exchange.

Since 1990, only sixteen sides have made the finals with a percentage somewhere in the 90s. Their record against teams with a percentage in the 100s is 0-16.

Our percentage at the moment is only 98.9, so hopefully someone has access to the "live" ladder during the game.

Since 1990, only sixteen sides have made the finals with a percentage somewhere in the 90s. Their record against teams with a percentage in the 100s is 0-16.

Our percentage at the moment is only 98.9, so hopefully someone has access to the "live" ladder during the game.

If you looks at the blues outs there is no excuse not to run up a cricket score. Our percentage will be above 100 by Sunday.

As far as form lines go leading into finals we have had a very touch run home and come through very successfully which gives me hope for us come finals.

Last 7 games we have knocked off 1st, second, 8th plus Richmond whilst losing to 3rd and 6th. The only other game was the suns 1 point loss which was near the start of that run.

Fun Fact: the current top 8 have lost 19 times this year to the bottom 10. The giants are responsible for 5.5 of those losses. So the other 14.5 losses to the bottom 10 sides is shared between 7 teams.

points for : 1679
points against : 1698

we win by 19, we’ll have a % of exactly 100 - anything more, will get us over that 100% mark. any closer & we‘ll come up short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back