Preview Rd 23: Changes/prematch discussion vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His chance starts next year. I reckon this will also be Hunter's last game in the blue and white so I would say all the boys want to play. I know I would, even if I had a niggle. This game isn't about winning, it's going to be a celebration for two blokes and their mates want to share it.

If it happens next year, I will grab a pitchfork and join you :p

I actually think there is a place for sentiment in football, so frankly, this week is the week to cut them a break for being "nice" to the senior players.

Unfortunately, they've had "nice" treatment for too f***ing long. Really thought it was changing last year and earlier this year. Really hope it does change next year.

Fair call per se, but are you really comfortable that, for example, Ben McKay played round 23, 2017 and hasn't had a look in since? Meanwhile, Scott Thompson struggles for the weeks following getting his nose splattered and Taz has a gash in his knee that the plastic surgeon describes as serious and still plays (below his usual standard). How is that effective list development?

Thompson & Tarrant have had excellent years.

B-Mac is contracted and Daw has taken a spot, and make no mistake about it, B-Mac has been in competition with Daw this year.

Effective list development is playing a bloke in the seniors when he has earned it.

I strongly believe B-Mac will be playing round 1 in the AFL next season in a rejigged side.

Thompson & Tarrant have had excellent years.

Thompson absolutely, until injured. Tarrant hasn't been at the standard of the previous 2-3 seasons. Also hampered by injury some weeks. With one of them playing in any given week, it would have made sense to play BMac to cover the other when hampered. VFL watchers would suggest BMac earned it.

B-Mac is contracted and Daw has taken a spot, and make no mistake about it, B-Mac has been in competition with Daw this year.

At the start of the season, no doubt. But Majak elevated his game to the level where he deserved to stay in more than the other two. So, in recent weeks, it was never BMac v Maj for a spot in the seniors.

Effective list development is playing a bloke in the seniors when he has earned it.

Again, I can only take the word of the regular VFL watchers and conclude that BMac has earned it.

I strongly believe B-Mac will be playing round 1 in the AFL next season in a rejigged side.

I hope you're right, just disappointed that it didn't happen this year.

Thompson absolutely, until injured. Tarrant hasn't been at the standard of the previous 2-3 seasons. Also hampered by injury some weeks. With one of them playing in any given week, it would have made sense to play BMac to cover the other when hampered. VFL watchers would suggest BMac earned it.

We'll agree to disagree on this.

TAt the start of the season, no doubt. But Majak elevated his game to the level where he deserved to stay in more than the other two. So, in recent weeks, it was never BMac v Maj for a spot in the seniors.

Agree, because Majak has put him out of the equation.

Again, I can only take the word of the regular VFL watchers and conclude that BMac has earned it.

This would include me, and I have posted for most of this season that Ben would be a starting KPD at several other AFL clubs.

I actually think there is a place for sentiment in football, so frankly, this week is the week to cut them a break for being "nice" to the senior players.

Unfortunately, they've had "nice" treatment for too f***ing long. Really thought it was changing last year and earlier this year. Really hope it does change next year.

I think the lure of finals greyed a few things, however with Waite retiring and Hunter looking more likely I will give it until next year before lurking in the BBB5 thread. I can see what Scott is trying to do and I honestly believe that Hrovat is played to up his value and Preuss not played to not decrease his value.

I think we are in pretty good shape off field and have recruited some quality people in the footy department so I trust our process at the moment. Something I couldnt say up to a couple of years ago. Hang in there brother.

How utterly ridiculous is the Naming of the Squad on the Thursday and the complete wet squib announcement on the Friday
It just seems pointless As if 24 hours makes any real difference

Thank god for the Libs

Disappointing. I like the idea of giving a player/s a taste before the season ends so they can use that to motivate themselves through the tough pre-season.

I would have given McKay, Mounty, Hibberd, and Preuss a run out for Walker, Goldy, Tarrant, and Wright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His chance starts next year. I reckon this will also be Hunter's last game in the blue and white so I would say all the boys want to play. I know I would, even if I had a niggle. This game isn't about winning, it's going to be a celebration for two blokes and their mates want to share it.

If it happens next year, I will grab a pitchfork and join you :p

I'm about as confident that both Gaff and Polec will come to North as I am that Ben McKay will not be on the list in 2019. I bet he asks for a trade and if we say no, he will quit. I don't blame him. He may as well. Because if we get Gaff and Polec, we probably keep Thompson and therefore, McKay goes another year in purgatory.

If it is, then I wouldn't anticipate he will be chaired off or that StKilda players will form a guard of honour.

Rat is a very small man so don't be surprised if the Saints kick off mad monday early by setting Hrovat on fire and tossing him right over the top of W80 as he's chaired off.

I'm about as confident that both Gaff and Polec will come to North as I am that Ben McKay will not be on the list in 2019. I bet he asks for a trade and if we say no, he will quit. I don't blame him. He may as well. Because if we get Gaff and Polec, we probably keep Thompson and therefore, McKay goes another year in purgatory.

He's contracted ...

I think the lure of finals greyed a few things, however with Waite retiring and Hunter looking more likely I will give it until next year before lurking in the BBB5 thread. I can see what Scott is trying to do and I honestly believe that Hrovat is played to up his value and Preuss not played to not decrease his value.

I think we are in pretty good shape off field and have recruited some quality people in the footy department so I trust our process at the moment. Something I couldnt say up to a couple of years ago. Hang in there brother.

Yep I reckon this was our 2012 equivalent

Some unexpected wins..some unexpected losses and some players who were played on reputation and the glimmer of a Finals chance

Had we lost the Dogs and Swans games it may have been a different story

Something changed at half time v the Lions game. It was like the Lions and the rest of the comp figured out if you take Jed and BJ out of the equation and double team BBB we are beatable. Throw in some mysterious injuries hampering players and you get the back end of the season

I'll make a few predictions.

Adelaide wins which means we'll slide to 12th only to conquer the second worst Victorian team and, wait for it, rise to that vaunted position of 9th!

I'll make a further prediction that one of the two Adelaide teams will nominate Tarryn Thomas meaning we fail to get a second first round draftee.

All very palatable if we had of put important game time into the next generation (and talented) bunch of LDU, H8bberd, Larkey, McKay, Durdin, Preuss, Williams, Hayden, Murphy and Narrier.

Fair call re Ronke, though the argument essentially holds for the majority of our 1-3 year players.

Mountford, McKay, Nielson, etc. Zero games between them this year.

Meanwhile, we have Hrovat who is not up to it and two KPD who have played injured for weeks and won't be 100% this week. WTF is the justification for this? It's a genuine question, what are they hoping to achieve with the current selections?

Dead rubber and W8's last game.

Which is fair enough for this game in these circumstances but imo that's about it. I can't help but wonder if selection policies throughout the year brought to this point (W8's last game now instead of in about 4 or 5 weeks.)

One other thing that I'm wondering about wrt to your last question is simply maybe they want to spend the year teaching those players you mentioned (and maybe a couple of others) how to play to Scotts' structures and system. Its the only possible reason I can think of (and I don't think much of it either.)

EDIT - forgot the VFL side is a chance to play finals so maybe that also has something to do with it.

So do I fwiw.

And thinking about it ... it could be Hunter, W80 and Rat's last game for us.

So long as it isn't Jed's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back