Review Rd 23 Review - Freo win comfortably against Orange Team in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Got through the game late, the top end carried us today.

That would have to be Serong's best game right? He was the only one doing anything for the first quarter and a half and carried on with it when everyone else lifted. ******* incredible performance

Walker (probably his best game), Brayshaw, Brodie, Pearce and Walters also good for most of the game and Clark is easily the most damaging half back in the comp. Quite frankly, there is no one close with his ability to run lines and hit targets while running at speed, will also average 5-10 goals a year I reckon.

Probably worth comparing to the Saints game last year when we were in a similar position with something to play for but got blown off the park. Not our best game, but standing up when you let it go for the first half the game is always a good thing

I agree with this

How good is Clark's running game? Plus he is a decent mark and kick.
Serong got off the leash as they targeted Brayshaw

Positives
  • Getting to see Mundy one last time. Loved that goal before the break.
  • Sonny kicking 3 goals in game 200.
  • Brayshaw
  • Serong
  • Brodie
  • Pearce
  • Finals baby!

Negatives
  • That's start
  • Canberra has such a s**t atmosphere. They almost need to introduce a Bogut style Bay 6 style supporter group. The only cheering was by a pissed group of guys on their Silly Saturday.
  • Umpiring was fairly poor, especially some of the deliberate calls.
  • Schulz being left as the deepest forward in a 2 on 1. So frustrating.

Mundy seemed to be getting a lot of love from that crowd. Lots of Freo supporters or were the locals being generous? Either way it was really nice.

And Sonny's game was enourmous.

Agreed re: Shultz. We seemed a bit brain dead by constantly kicking it to him with Sam Taylor owning that space. Poor Shultz didn't stand a chance.

Mundy seemed to be getting a lot of love from that crowd. Lots of Freo supporters or were the locals being generous? Either way it was really nice.

And Sonny's game was enourmous.

Agreed re: Shultz. We seemed a bit brain dead by constantly kicking it to him with Sam Taylor owning that space. Poor Shultz didn't stand a chance.

There was plenty of Freo supporters but how could anyone dislike Mundy?

Well, maybe Richmond supporters.

There was one passage of player when Schulz had 2 defenders on him and Acres did one of his trademark up and under kicks onto his head. Easy turnover.

I had to really keep my rage internalised at that point.

They way the boys all got around Pearce when he kicked the goal, I dunno it felt like a moment where the shackles were cast off and the positivity came back into the group
That and when Sonny caught Cunming HTB

Been saying he’s selfish for a while.
Hungry and one dimensional aren’t good traits for a forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It can be, in small parts. Logue having that would be 10% better. Unfortunately for Banfield, the only way he stays in is by goals. He did it v Brisbane, kept his spot. And think against North. That’s his role, unfortunately.

Had to quote this again for the sheer stupidity of it.
Definitely admit Serong was brilliant.
The old Freo pessimism never goes away, to be fair. It was looking like a terrible 30 point loss and opportunity blown. This seems to be the new Freo. Slowly believing. It’s been 27 years of supporting this club
Game day let’s all the frustrations out. No apologies for that

The old Freo pessimism never goes away, to be fair. It was looking like a terrible 30 point loss and opportunity blown. This seems to be the new Freo. Slowly believing. It’s been 27 years of supporting this club
Just the statement not you. I have had more than my fair share of premature melts in game day threads.

Banfield played about as well as expected for someone who hasn't played footy in a month

Seriously why did we pick him off such little gametime? Last game he played was against Richmond just under a month ago (yes I know he has played a quarter or less in a couple of games too)

We haven't been rotating him properly at WAFL, I'm not really sure why?

Surely he plays WAFL in the bye week?

No worries, Ricci.

I think anyone that quotes a post from a live game day thread after the game is over to laugh at it is a bum in my opinion.

You said it in the heat of moment, we all say dumbshit when the team is playing like garbage.

I thought it was a strange game overall.
We had a lot riding on it and they had f**k all, so that might have explained the cautious start by our guys.
We played just about the worst bruise free footy we have played all season in the first quarter and a half.
They looked a million bucks at times in that period. Their talented but flakey mids were growing in confidence and stringing elaborate chains of passing together to release their attack.
Serong was the one played that looked up for the fight from minute 1. In the last 2 months or so I think he’s has been our standout player. We need to sign him up long term in the off season, and avoid an out of contract circus all next year with the AFL media w***ers.
Clark, young and Walker all came good when we needed them. Pearce was excellent and Brayshaw worked like a dog all game. Acres has his limitations but played reasonably well while Noddy was again superb, especially when we were facing into the abyss at 5 goals down.
Walters turned back the clock. Its been a bit of a sleeper recently but he’s actually playing the best stretch of footy since his AA year the last 6 weeks or so. He looks dangerous and sharp again and the mob who wanted him dropped earlier this year and banished to peel are nowhere to be seen or heard. (I was never one of these - give me 60% Sonny Walters over some of these limited role players we have running around in the forward line any day of the week).
The negatives -
The fumbling. What’s with all the f*^kin fumbles, early on in the game especially? Is it nerves, a lack of intensity?
I’ll tell you what, if we fumble like that against Geelong at the MCG in 2 weeks time, we will be 50 points down at quarter time. There will be no coming back. It will be a humiliation on the big stage.
  • Banfield had a shocker. He might well have gotten himself delisted with that effort to be honest. If we are tight on list spots you don’t want to be producing games like that when out of contract.
  • Fyfe looks so rusty. Should play at peel next week and try find more form. Even to get his ball handling back in good touch it would be worth it.
  • I thought Schultz was poor. I know he works hard, and is a great team man, but f*^k me he’s limited. Has this terribly annoying habit of flying for marks which he’s only about a 2% chance of taking. Moves the ball on far too slowly and Is very one paced. I know that sounds harsh as he’s been solid this year and is a decent AFL player but we are likely to be top 4 and I’m thinking and judging him by the metric of how we can win the flag this year, and ultimately this small forward division is not good enough I don’t think.
  • Switta was good but he’s got no goal sense at all. Every goal he kicks is hard bloody work. Everything else about him is elite. He would look incredible alongside a 40 or 50 goal a year small forward with all the assists he creates but we don’t have one of those. 😥
  • Frederick did very little. I’d expect a big game from him if we are on the MCG in 2 weeks, the big pitch and big arena seems to suit him better. At this early stage of his career you can’t rely on him however. He could be unbelievable in the finals and kick 4 goals from 18 touches, or he could be horrible and have just 3 disposals all game. Unlike players like say, Serong and Brayshaw who we can be 100% certain will give at least an 8/10 performance in the finals.

Overall we need a lot to go right to win that flag. But if you are in the top 4 after round 23, anything other than a preliminary final appearance is a major disappointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't feel like we were out of the game to me. Even 5 goals down. Must've been a while since we came back from 31 points.
Kram you know the last time Freo were 30 points down and won?

I do.... Early 2020 season. Yep vs the saints . Cane from 36 points down to win by 6 points

I thought it was a strange game overall.
We had a lot riding on it and they had f**k all, so that might have explained the cautious start by our guys.
We played just about the worst bruise free footy we have played all season in the first quarter and a half.
They looked a million bucks at times in that period. Their talented but flakey mids were growing in confidence and stringing elaborate chains of passing together to release their attack.
Serong was the one played that looked up for the fight from minute 1. In the last 2 months or so I think he’s has been our standout player. We need to sign him up long term in the off season, and avoid an out of contract circus all next year with the AFL media w***ers.
Clark, young and Walker all came good when we needed them. Pearce was excellent and Brayshaw worked like a dog all game. Acres has his limitations but played reasonably well while Noddy was again superb, especially when we were facing into the abyss at 5 goals down.
Walters turned back the clock. Its been a bit of a sleeper recently but he’s actually playing the best stretch of footy since his AA year the last 6 weeks or so. He looks dangerous and sharp again and the mob who wanted him dropped earlier this year and banished to peel are nowhere to be seen or heard. (I was never one of these - give me 60% Sonny Walters over some of these limited role players we have running around in the forward line any day of the week).
The negatives -
The fumbling. What’s with all the f*^kin fumbles, early on in the game especially? Is it nerves, a lack of intensity?
I’ll tell you what, if we fumble like that against Geelong at the MCG in 2 weeks time, we will be 50 points down at quarter time. There will be no coming back. It will be a humiliation on the big stage.
  • Banfield had a shocker. He might well have gotten himself delisted with that effort to be honest. If we are tight on list spots you don’t want to be producing games like that when out of contract.
  • Fyfe looks so rusty. Should play at peel next week and try find more form. Even to get his ball handling back in good touch it would be worth it.
  • I thought Schultz was poor. I know he works hard, and is a great team man, but f*^k me he’s limited. Has this terribly annoying habit of flying for marks which he’s only about a 2% chance of taking. Moves the ball on far too slowly and Is very one paced. I know that sounds harsh as he’s been solid this year and is a decent AFL player but we are likely to be top 4 and I’m thinking and judging him by the metric of how we can win the flag this year, and ultimately this small forward division is not good enough I don’t think.
  • Switta was good but he’s got no goal sense at all. Every goal he kicks is hard bloody work. Everything else about him is elite. He would look incredible alongside a 40 or 50 goal a year small forward with all the assists he creates but we don’t have one of those. 😥
  • Frederick did very little. I’d expect a big game from him if we are on the MCG in 2 weeks, the big pitch and big arena seems to suit him better. At this early stage of his career you can’t rely on him however. He could be unbelievable in the finals and kick 4 goals from 18 touches, or he could be horrible and have just 3 disposals all game. Unlike players like say, Serong and Brayshaw who we can be 100% certain will give at least an 8/10 performance in the finals.

Overall we need a lot to go right to win that flag. But if you are in the top 4 after round 23, anything other than a preliminary final appearance is a major disappointment.
Solid post mate, astute stuff :)

the only part I'd query is the bolded one - gotta finish top 4 yet which is out of our hands. Agree though, if it is Geelong in a qualifying final we'll need our best boots a-kickin'. Also no guaarantee the AFL in its inifinte wisdom will fixture us there, would't be surprised if they tried GMHBA again. The shysters

Fyfe looks so rusty. Should play at peel next week and try find more form.

100%

My opinion of Fyfe will go up immeasurably if he lines up for Peel next week. It just seems like such a blindingly obvious move - he desperately needs the match practice and we desperately need him in good touch for the finals.

I can't see any reason why he wouldn't other than ego.

Solid post mate, astute stuff :)

the only part I'd query is the bolded one - gotta finish top 4 yet which is out of our hands. Agree though, if it is Geelong in a qualifying final we'll need our best boots a-kickin'. Also no guaarantee the AFL in its inifinte wisdom will fixture us there, would't be surprised if they tried GMHBA again. The shysters
Yeah I think they have pretty much said there will be no finals at Gmhba while it’s half a building site.
Anything is possible with the AFL however. It would be outrageous if we were sent there again. Surell Gill and the boys just want to avoid the hassle.
I’m assuming Carlton lift and beat the pies tomorrow. If we are 5th it’s a lot harder though a prelim is still very much in reach I think in that scenario

I couldn’t watch the game today as had another commitment & was actually glad I missed it. As the stakes go up towards playing finals again I get ridiculously nervous watching live. Saw the first half of the first Q before I left & was happy to tap out.

I checked the score a couple of times & we were still behind in the last & I was again glad I wasn’t watching.

To then see the final score was incredible & even better driving home knowing my partner was going out tonight & I could sloth on my own & watch the replay alone which is my idea of a perfect Saturday night these days

It’s wonderful realizing we’ve turned the corner as a club - have a list stacked with young talent (with a bunch of really solid prospects in the 2’s) & a serious coach, a great footy department with a solid recruiting & trading setup & excellent fitness / conditioning / rehab team.

And we’re playing finals!!!!

Really solid year by the club & so happy Mundy can go out playing finals again. If ever anyone deserves to go out on a high it’s him. I doubt we’re quite good enough (yet) to win the whole thing but one finals win would be magic.

The main problem is obviously if Tabs & Lobb can get on the park & if Tabs along with Fyfe can get enough touch to compete at the level needed for finals. The rest of the team is young but good enough. If Tabs could miraculously find touch straight away, Fyfe finds his one touch game & Lobb is confident enough to hit the contest hard & clunk some big marks we will worry anyone on the day.

The other part is confidence. I’ve no doubt our boys were tired & sore after a very physical derby which would have contributed to the slow start but all our best footy this year has been when we attack the game with freedom & dare. Conversely when we get nervous like today & fumble we go into our shells a bit.
Hopefully JL can get them into the right headspace.

On today I loved Walkers game, honestly some of his sidesteps & running, if it was Bolton or Dangerfield or a Rioli the commentators would have been creaming their dacks but it was barely noticed.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Aish, I thought he was superb today. He was involved in so many scoring chains with a little handball or something in the passages of play. He has put together some of most consistent footy in the game for most of the season yet seems to fly completely under the radar. He’s a gem.

On Freddy, JL mentioned him in the presser as one of the players who helped hold our shape to create space forward. Sometimes he doesn’t seem to do a lot but for a young player he’s so disciplined at staying wide ahead of the ball & is very often ignored in favor of bombing it in despite that he’s about our best set shot kick anywhere around the 40-50 even really wide.

Clark & Young are immense, Chapman is so clean & clever & the big guys with Ryan are immense.

Finally how utterly wonderful to see Walters back to something like his best, traveling with his whole family courtesy of the club & shining in his 200th to help lead us back to September. He’s a genuine legend of the club.

Oh & great to see Matt DeBoer out on the ground at the end getting some real love from Fyfe & the other guys, even the ones he didn’t play with.

And if you can’t stand people losing their s**t in the game thread stay away & refrain from the holier than thou editorial. Everyone does it differently & some people need to vent their anxiety at times even if it’s not rational.

I’m genuinely thrilled about the club & the year. Bring on September (but how bad is no footy next week going to be!!!)

Yeah I think they have pretty much said there will be no finals at Gmhba while it’s half a building site.
Anything is possible with the AFL however. It would be outrageous if we were sent there again. Surell Gill and the boys just want to avoid the hassle.
I’m assuming Carlton lift and beat the pies tomorrow. If we are 5th it’s a lot harder though a prelim is still very much in reach I think in that scenario
Dunno with Carlton, they've shat the bed the last month or so, can't rely on those vankers to lift for anything...plus the beastly demon in me would love to see the whole Cerra thing blow up in their face a bit if they didn't make it! Makes our road a bit harder though, but worth the pain to see them not even qualify after them being talked up so much earlier in the year, especially with their tall forward line talents. Would be hilarious! Spose Saints could always surprise us, but I doubt it...

Regards a potential qualifying fixture - nothing would surprise me, look how they send us to places like Manuka Oval. I'm amazed we weren't sent to Tassie or Darwin (!!) this year. Given where we finished last year, I feel our draw was a fair bit tougher than some others....especially this back end. Gotta laff at the West Coast nuffie on YT that said we wouldn't win another game after the bye. Shout out to you, whoever you are, a special kind of numb-nuts plebeian!

Surely they wouldn't do it again, it would be wayyyyy too obvious. I'm sure the potential revenue from an MCG gate is a bit more enticing, even if it's the Dockers, haha! Shame we need to rely on results to crack the top 4, I think we deserve it - but we didn't get the results to own it outright, so we'll see come end of tomorrow, either way - we're in!! And it's time to see just how far we've come.....!! :D

Last edited:
No worries, Ricci.

I think anyone that quotes a post from a live game day thread after the game is over to laugh at it is a bum in my opinion.

You said it in the heat of moment, we all say dumbshit when the team is playing like garbage.
No U GIF by MOODMAN

This all bonus time as far as I’m concerned, I had no expectations coming into the season, very happy. Whatever happens next is great for our developing squad.

If I sit and think about it too long, reality of what awaits us will kick. Teams don’t come back from 30 point deficits in finals, but I won’t think about that!

Great performance from our leaders of the next decade Serong/Brayshaw and 3 goals to Sonny at just the right time.

Kinda feels dirty supporting Carlton / Saints, might just check in when those games are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walker!
He seems to have got a lot of hate in the past, which confused me. but I thought he was superb today!
He was only going to get better & more composed by playing at this level. You could see he had the tools but lacked composure due to inexperience & it was just a matter of time before he did. Really enjoying a more offensive attitude from him now he’s starting to believe he belongs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back