May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Rd 23 - Sydney v Richmond

me-time.jpg
vs
51RNcpIZfZL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wednesday Morning. John Longmire ponders his team for the crucial clash against the dangerous Tigers.

He picks up the phone.

Longmire: “Buddy! Haven’t seen you for a couple of days. Where are you?”

Lance Franklin: “I’m still at the Soho Bar, Horse. Rehab”.

Longmire: “But we have a big game this week. Will you be ready?”

Franklin “Naah, it’s the bye week before the finals, mate, remember? A bit of R&R, we agreed”.

Longmire: “No, Buddy – that’s next week. We’ve got Richmond this Saturday. It’s not a bye”!

Franklin: (silence)

Longmire: “It’s not a bye!”

(Silence)

Longmire: “Look, is Hanners there? I’ll talk to him”.

Dan Hanneberry: “Horse maaaate! How ya going? Hey, Hey!!”

Longmire: “Hanners! I need you for this week against Richmond! Get out of the Soho, and get down here”.

Hanneberry: “Richmond, eh? Hmmmm. Look Horse, I’m not feeling that great, and we’ve got finals coming up – thanks, love, keep ‘em coming – so I need some serious therapy. Couldn’t we just run out the academy team and see how they go”?

Longmire: “You can’t put a team of academy kids up against an AFL-standard side! They’ll get slaughtered. Richmond will……..Richmond will…………..Richmond…………….Richmond………..”

(Pause)

Longmire: “Hanners? I’ll be there in 10. JB and Coke, thanks. Get the rest of the senior guys together. Oh, they’re there already? Good. Tell Stuey Dew to get out of there, though. He’s up this week. I’ve got the match plan for him written on the back of a bus-ticket, somewhere. Ummmm, aaaarghhh – can’t find it right now. Look, just don’t kick it at Rance, OK? That’ll do.”

Once again, old foes Richmond and the Swans face off in another critical match that has all football fans on the edge of their seats. Boasting a long and storied history, this clash is usually seen as one of the season’s highlights, and this year is no exception. Bodies will be pushed beyond physical limits, blood will be spilled, hearts will be broken, and………………………

Sorry.

I tried.

Weren’t the Olympics cool? Can we talk about Bolt? No? Ok….

It’s Rd 23, and as has been the standard for much of the last 20+ years, Richmond are limping to the end of another disappointing season, while the Swans are fine-tuning for another crack at the finals. Expectations for this game are, let’s be honest, not high. It’s likely to be played with all the intensity of a crochet club tea break, with each team focusing on a single key objective.

Swans: “Don’t get hurt”.

Tigers: “Don’t win”.

While both of these goals seem eminently achievable (the major risk of injury comes from an opposition tackle, and since the Swans are facing Richmond, that scenario seems unlikely to arise), surprisingly, it is the Tigers who face the tougher task to avoid victory. Richmond have a very good record against Sydney, even over the last few years when Sydney have been perennial top 4 finishers, and the Tigers………..………haven’t. Nevertheless, 6 of the last 9 encounters have resulted in a win for the Sons Of Dyer, and in some of those games, the Swans were really trying!! (Ok, a few, maybe). John Longmire was asked about Richmond’s seeming hold over the Swans in recent times and his response was recorded below.
9e7bebdbe8b26fbfc099a50f2c734558.jpg

The main interest for Richmond fans coming into this game is the battle between Dustin Martin and Alex Rance for the Jack Dyer Medal. Both have had outstanding seasons, with Rance probably having a slight lead, mostly due to the ball being in his immediate vicinity for the majority of every game, and the rest of the backline consisting of swimming pool inflatables purchased on Ebay for 2nd round draft picks.

Aaaah, Rancey..… ….
maxresdefault.jpg

Jack Riewoldt is also on pace to kick 50 goals for the 8th season in a row – a Richmond record. Poor Jack has had to play Centre Half Forward, Full Forward, Forward Pocket crumber, 3rd tall option, high half-forward, psychotherapist, ground manager, line marker, jumper washer and car park attendant, due to an alarming lack of support inside the forward 50. Richmond have only hit 100 pt 5 times in the season and average less than 10 goals per game against the Top 8 sides.

Tactically, the key match-ups are likely to be those between the Richmond out-of-contract players as they vie to put on the best show for prospective suitors, and their Sydney opponents determined not to be embarrassed by a someone deemed ‘not wanted at a bottom-6 club’.

Richmond hopefully will have a look at a few kids (Sydney certainly will), and it should be a tight, entertaining, high-scoring game that will keep spectators on the edge of their seats, gasping for breath, awake, with the Tigers running away at the end to win by a couple of goals, causing Benny Gale to smile through gritted teeth, Tiger supporters to throw up their hands in frustration, and the AFL to increase Sydney’s COLA by 25%.

Odds: Just don’t. Really, don’t. As a Richmond supporter, your life is a too much of a desperate gamble already.

Just driving into the office - heading down Anzac Parade past the SCG a few minutes ago...

Spotted a big Sid Foggs coach decked out with red and white streamers pulling out of the car park with a "Coffs Harbour" sign in the front window.
Through the tinted glass I'm sure I saw some Tooheys New cans being distributed to a bunch of dudes wearing Swans polo's...

Pre-finals bonding session I'm guessing....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joey longshadow

Hostis Humani Generis
Oct 23, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore ravens
I have an ominous feeling about this game ..I think it will be an unmitigated fisting by a team wearing a sandpaper glove that will wave us around like a sock puppet ...it will be ugly ...for two reasons ...Sydney will be a bit sick of us beating them recently and will be out to prove a point
Second I think they will want a hard hit out with the bye the following week to get in a finals frame of mind
Okay there's a third reason ....we have devolved into an unimaginably s**t and putrid team with a game plan that seems to be based on twister and a coach who I think is a devotee of the Iraqi information minister from the gulf war ...
Book mark it ..this will be ugly and career killing for some
But sadly not Hardwick

Sydney will play hard to win....
A fluke loss could see them drop out of the top 2 plus the finals bye will give em the rest.

100 pointer not out of the question IMO.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
If Swans lose + Crows beat Eagles (Probable), Cats beat Dees (certainty), Hawks beat Pies (Likely) and Giants beat North (Likely) + Giants and Swans have a 2.7% swing in percentage (likely) then Swans drop out of the 4.
Since most of that is a very good chance to happen there is no way they will take this game lightly. Going from top 4 with a home final to out of the top 4 is MASSIVE. Really is the difference between playing in a grand final and not.
Even if some of that doesn't happen, a loss will certainly lose them a home final.
They will come out swinging and we will come out with nothing to play for and tired after a long shitty season.
Big, big, big loss coming up.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Rd 23 - Sydney v Richmond

me-time.jpg
vs
51RNcpIZfZL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wednesday Morning. John Longmire ponders his team for the crucial clash against the dangerous Tigers.

He picks up the phone.

Longmire: “Buddy! Haven’t seen you for a couple of days. Where are you?”

Lance Franklin: “I’m still at the Soho Bar, Horse. Rehab”.

Longmire: “But we have a big game this week. Will you be ready?”

Franklin “Naah, it’s the bye week before the finals, mate, remember? A bit of R&R, we agreed”.

Longmire: “No, Buddy – that’s next week. We’ve got Richmond this Saturday. It’s not a bye”!

Franklin: (silence)

Longmire: “It’s not a bye!”

(Silence)

Longmire: “Look, is Hanners there? I’ll talk to him”.

Dan Hanneberry: “Horse maaaate! How ya going? Hey, Hey!!”

Longmire: “Hanners! I need you for this week against Richmond! Get out of the Soho, and get down here”.

Hanneberry: “Richmond, eh? Hmmmm. Look Horse, I’m not feeling that great, and we’ve got finals coming up – thanks, love, keep ‘em coming – so I need some serious therapy. Couldn’t we just run out the academy team and see how they go”?

Longmire: “You can’t put a team of academy kids up against an AFL-standard side! They’ll get slaughtered. Richmond will……..Richmond will…………..Richmond…………….Richmond………..”

(Pause)

Longmire: “Hanners? I’ll be there in 10. JB and Coke, thanks. Get the rest of the senior guys together. Oh, they’re there already? Good. Tell Stuey Dew to get out of there, though. He’s up this week. I’ve got the match plan for him written on the back of a bus-ticket, somewhere. Ummmm, aaaarghhh – can’t find it right now. Look, just don’t kick it at Rance, OK? That’ll do.”

Once again, old foes Richmond and the Swans face off in another critical match that has all football fans on the edge of their seats. Boasting a long and storied history, this clash is usually seen as one of the season’s highlights, and this year is no exception. Bodies will be pushed beyond physical limits, blood will be spilled, hearts will be broken, and………………………

Sorry.

I tried.

Weren’t the Olympics cool? Can we talk about Bolt? No? Ok….

It’s Rd 23, and as has been the standard for much of the last 20+ years, Richmond are limping to the end of another disappointing season, while the Swans are fine-tuning for another crack at the finals. Expectations for this game are, let’s be honest, not high. It’s likely to be played with all the intensity of a crochet club tea break, with each team focusing on a single key objective.

Swans: “Don’t get hurt”.

Tigers: “Don’t win”.

While both of these goals seem eminently achievable (the major risk of injury comes from an opposition tackle, and since the Swans are facing Richmond, that scenario seems unlikely to arise), surprisingly, it is the Tigers who face the tougher task to avoid victory. Richmond have a very good record against Sydney, even over the last few years when Sydney have been perennial top 4 finishers, and the Tigers………..………haven’t. Nevertheless, 6 of the last 9 encounters have resulted in a win for the Sons Of Dyer, and in some of those games, the Swans were really trying!! (Ok, a few, maybe). John Longmire was asked about Richmond’s seeming hold over the Swans in recent times and his response was recorded below.
9e7bebdbe8b26fbfc099a50f2c734558.jpg

The main interest for Richmond fans coming into this game is the battle between Dustin Martin and Alex Rance for the Jack Dyer Medal. Both have had outstanding seasons, with Rance probably having a slight lead, mostly due to the ball being in his immediate vicinity for the majority of every game, and the rest of the backline consisting of swimming pool inflatables purchased on Ebay for 2nd round draft picks.

Aaaah, Rancey..… ….
maxresdefault.jpg

Jack Riewoldt is also on pace to kick 50 goals for the 8th season in a row – a Richmond record. Poor Jack has had to play Centre Half Forward, Full Forward, Forward Pocket crumber, 3rd tall option, high half-forward, psychotherapist, ground manager, line marker, jumper washer and car park attendant, due to an alarming lack of support inside the forward 50. Richmond have only hit 100 pt 5 times in the season and average less than 10 goals per game against the Top 8 sides.

Tactically, the key match-ups are likely to be those between the Richmond out-of-contract players as they vie to put on the best show for prospective suitors, and their Sydney opponents determined not to be embarrassed by a someone deemed ‘not wanted at a bottom-6 club’.

Richmond hopefully will have a look at a few kids (Sydney certainly will), and it should be a tight, entertaining, high-scoring game that will keep spectators on the edge of their seats, gasping for breath, awake, with the Tigers running away at the end to win by a couple of goals, causing Benny Gale to smile through gritted teeth, Tiger supporters to throw up their hands in frustration, and the AFL to increase Sydney’s COLA by 25%.

Odds: Just don’t. Really, don’t. As a Richmond supporter, your life is a too much of a desperate gamble already.
Great post...lold all the way through

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Hmm. Sydney, who are the best defensive side and are after locking in a top 2 spot vs Richmond, who scored only 34 points against St Kilda well into the 4th quarter (mind you, Sydney belted St Kilda at Etihad by 70 points the week before). On top of that, we beat them by 1 point this season and won the last 3 against them, which is a reason to infuriate them.

I doubt they'll take us lightly. There is a reason why they are first on the ladder with a percentage of 140% or so. I say Sydney to dash off to an 80-point lead at around half time/3 quarter time and then take the foot off the break, allowing us to kinda break even with them on the scoreboard for the rest of the match to go down by 77 or so points.

Nursie

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Bit of competition in the Sydney side for a spot in the finals, but I reckon they'll go hard for a half and then put the queue in the rack. Sydney by 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back