Autopsy Rd 3 Blues survive a scare to beat Cats by 2 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's fair to say now that his groin injury wasn't why his kicking went to sh*t last season, he's just not a good kick.

He looks really lazy when he kicks, like he's assuming it's going to work out without even trying really. It's most notable on his set shots, he clearly has no actual set up at all and just comes in and kicks it however he feels in the moment, it's not surprising he misses more often than not. In the absence of Sav, he needs to spend a bit of time with Levi and Mitch McGov. McGovern in particular is a glorious set shot.

I am not to sure his groins are 100% . He seemed to veer offline again the way he was previously. Hope I am wrong

Had some time to digest it all now and watched the replay.... couple of points.

Cripps and Levi our best then Weiters and Eddie IMO.

Happy to have Eddie get the BOG in paper, sentimental and that last tackle :D...be interesting Brownlow night.
I was wrong and happy to be about Eddie though, he was amazing, keep it up little champ.

Jacks gather and lighting fast LH handball give through the middle that set up a goal was unbelievable...THE BOY CAN PLAY.
And IMO a future Captain and 200 plus gamer.
Didn't have his biggest game but we are better when he plays...simple!

Is Levi better than Stewy Lowe...He is getting there !!

Weiters and Govs kicking skills are sublime and need to get it in their hands as much as possible.

Murph still going strong!

And the big Frenchman is like getting a pair of genuine Raybans for the price of the Thai ones ! :cool:

And Martin will be SOS"s parting gift....Great Job champ (sigh)…. There is still JSOS ;)

Weiters and Govs kicking skills are sublime and need to get it in their hands as much as possible.

I love the ball in Weiters hands at the moment. He wants to take the attacking option and is kicking penetration is great when it needs to be or weighted perfectly when needed. Previously he was wanting to go sidewards too often. More confidence in himself is an amazing thing

terry "list mangler" wallace retro-fit the 2018 draft with rozee at 1 and walsh at 2.............in hindsight, it's certainly rating as a superdraft..........

You know what Thy. I've decided to let them have their 2 cents right now, including some of our very own. Our boy has it all - inside, outside, overhead, leadership, athleticism, skill and courage. More then any of the others been highlighted in the media right now. Walshy will probably struggle a little this year (it happens in their 2nd year) but come year 3 and 4 - they will all be eating humble pie and back tracking quicker then you can imagine. I've seen it all before!!! Walshy will be an out and out star for the Navy Blue.

Ive seen a few re-drafts - its a sign of 'we dont have much to talk about' radio/tv.

my 2 cents - walsh needs to become more dangerous/damaging with the ball and not just an accumulator (and he isnt even accumulating this year)

You reckon?

2nd year player, coming off a Rising Star, probably getting a little more attention/respect from opposition, playing a bit more outside/wing, with 20% shorter quarters and a severely interrupted preseason?

I'm not concerned in the slightest.

He's looked a little fumbly and off the pace in the first few games, but that's uncharacteristic and I'm confident he'll work through it in short order.

He seems to understand he's a ruckman and the he needs to give the ball to the little guys. Some ruckmen get a bit of an ego hit and brush off teammates and take kicks on themselves, and stuff it up. He's old school, he knows the situation and his limitations. Be a physical presence and service the little guys (and Cripps, because he ain't a little guy).

I really think Kreuzer is going to struggle to get back in the team if Pitto keeps it up. Unless the 20 min qtrs come back and you might need 2 ruckmen (even then, Casboult is an excellent 2nd ruck) we might not see Kreuzer unless there's an injury to Pitto.

It's a brutal decision, but maybe it's what's needed. If Pitto proves he's reliable and not injury prone, then he's dependable. As good as Krezuer has been, he's never, ever, been dependable for a season.

I recall some dismissive comments about Pittonet from the Hawthorn board, saying that he couldn’t mark the ball and was a liability everywhere apart from the centre bounce. Admittedly 2 games is a very small sample size, but I have been very impressed with his around the ground work. Disposal is more than acceptable for a ruckman, he has repelled quite a few kicks up the line or in the D50, and has that elusive “mongrel” that we all want so much in the team.
So happy to have him in the team.

there were also several hawk posters suggesting that the big boy clown had basically shut him and ceglar out of any hope of getting a ruck role - they also said they reckoned he'd do well at carlton........he's as exciting a ruck proposition since kreuz...........tdk could be anything as well..........

Just watched the reserves highlights. Just a bit excited about the step and burst Philp has. And Honey looks fantastic as well. Both look like impact players that will fit in nicely.

Also Owies is starting to hit the scoreboard regularly and does some nice things. May be hard to delist if he keeps going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That rince and repeat kick drove me nuts, as you’ve mentioned we have a greater spread of options and it’s made such a difference with flow and movement...
that kick into the pocket made it at least twice as hard to clear our back 50 - it was a real sign of "I got nothing" from the kickerouterer...........

We did it so consistently though it must have been a part of the game plan (for some reason). We'd specifically have someone standing there at basically every kick-in ready to receive that short chip to the pocket.

Can't see any real reason for it since you don't gain metres closer to goal and then the opposition can lock you in to one side...makes it almost impossible to transition to our F50. Unless your pure intent is to get it out of bounds around 55m out, though you could still do that from the kick-in. Basically its one of the failed elements of our previous game plan...I like that Teague is always looking to attack and challenge the opposition by staying spread and creating space.

Sorry what happened to Jack Martin. Well I'll be...

Great point, he was sensational.
It would be a tough ask to narrow the list to 5 players though. Who would you have?
I can’t get it down to 5 without leaving two of Betts, Doc or Martin out.
Levi, Pitt, Cripps & JW are locks - that leaves some excellent performances out of the votes.

He's always run out to the left, I don't think that started because of the groins.

Seems like a really poor kicking technique...he also seems to hook his leg in his kicking motion.

Buddy veers out but at least in more of a smooth arc and relatively fluent...Harry's angles in his approach seem quite severe and rigid.

Need an irony button around here.
I susp
Last weeks thread was so negative and this weeks is so positive. Its a fine line between pleasure and pain. In both games we were the better side for 3 quarters and got smashed in one quarter. Sure the quality of the opposition matters but who knows where Melbourne sit at the moment. If last weeks game goes 2 minutes longer we probably win; if this weeks goes two minutes longer we probably lose.

This week was an historic win against a very good side but in the end we were lucky. Our inability to stem that last quarter avalanche of goals is a bigger concern to me than the slow starts were. Much easier to address slow starts than mental scars and doubt.

Sorry about the negativity - its just the way I feel about this one. I would rather be the team finishing hard than holding on by a thread. Or better still , stay in control of the game for 4 quarters - hopefully that is coming.
you cant ignore the fact that Geelong threw structure out the window in the last term. Their backmen were kicking most of the goals

Just watched the reserves highlights. Just a bit excited about the step and burst Philp has. And Honey looks fantastic as well. Both look like impact players that will fit in nicely.

Also Owies is starting to hit the scoreboard regularly and does some nice things. May be hard to delist if he keeps going.

Fantastic goals from 50m on the run from Philp & LOB in those highlights.

Geez the intensity looked low though, every highlight we had players in acres of space with the Geelong players just jogging around. Decision making and executing skills under pressure is what determines whether you'll make it as an AFL player.

Seems like a really poor kicking technique...he also seems to hook his leg in his kicking motion.

Buddy veers out but at least in more of a smooth arc and relatively fluent...Harry's angles in his approach seem quite severe and rigid.
Good point about his kicking motion, he just sort of throws it at it without conviction. The ball slices off his foot and all sorts of things.

His run up drifting out left is fine if it's a repeatable action, lots of guys do it, but for Harry he's certainly not repeating his approach. Sure he always drifts out left, but he does it with no consistency in his amount of steps he takes or how much momentum he builds.

Like you say, Buddy does it but at least with him it's always the same or similar. The other thing Buddy does is want to kick the ball, he puts his foot through it every time. Harry, even at distance, looks like he's just sort of stabbing or poking at it. Levi is a good example of kicking through the ball - these days he puts it 20 rows back even if he's only kicking from 30. Maybe Harry needs to try that?

One thing that I really liked on the weekend was our spread from the contest, Cripps seems to have a really good connection with Martin and Gibbons and put some great handballs over the top to them as they were running forward.

Another was our attack at the man seemed to be a lot better coordinated, we put intense pressure on the ball carrier but all the players weren't drawn to them like moths to the light. Much better communication with the D1 & D2 etc.

Also never seen our forward line function so well! Great to see the key forwards working in tandem and communicating who would be pushing up the ground etc. Made us pull apart Geelong's defence in the first half.

Had some time to digest it all now and watched the replay.... couple of points.

Cripps and Levi our best then Weiters and Eddie IMO.

Happy to have Eddie get the BOG in paper, sentimental and that last tackle :D...be interesting Brownlow night.
I was wrong and happy to be about Eddie though, he was amazing, keep it up little champ.

Jacks gather and lighting fast LH handball give through the middle that set up a goal was unbelievable...THE BOY CAN PLAY.
And IMO a future Captain and 200 plus gamer.
Didn't have his biggest game but we are better when he plays...simple!

Is Levi better than Stewy Lowe...He is getting there !!

Murph still going strong!

And the big Frenchman is like getting a pair of genuine Raybans for the price of the Thai ones ! :cool:

And Martin will be SOS"s parting gift....Great Job champ (sigh)…. There is still JSOS ;)

Who is the big Frenchman in the team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back