Autopsy Rd 3 Blues survive a scare to beat Cats by 2 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Willo on GuesSEN ...

Do you have a wall of TVs in your house? I just have this vision of you strolling around a room similar to Mission Control and then dropping all this stuff into our waiting arms.

Question for those who saw the game the whole way through. When Eddie marked it at the end, it looked like he could have had a shot for goal, I’ve only seen a replay and highlights, did he not take a Shot after the siren?

Just to re-enforce how good this win was: https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/726546/martin-a-milestone-to-remember

"Heading into the game, Geelong had won 90 of their previous 100 games at Kardinia Park and had not lost to Carlton since Round 10, 2016."

We hadn't beaten Geelong in 4 years, they'd won 90% of their last 100 games at The Cattery (which is outrageous) and they smashed Hawthorn the week before.

took the shot and missed the lot - not unlike crippa v brisbane last year.........
Similarly didn't take it seriously like Cripps.

Cripps with the torp despite only kicking from 50 and Eddie going a banana with no real need to and flushing the belly of the ball.

Would have loved Cripps especially to take it seriously, 5 goals and 30 something disposals would've gone down in legend. Still though, not really a big deal I was just happy to get a win at that point!

Cripps with the torp despite only kicking from 50 and Eddie going a banana with no real need to and flushing the belly of the ball.

Would have loved Cripps especially to take it seriously, 5 goals and 30 something disposals would've gone down in legend. Still though, not really a big deal I was just happy to get a win at that point!

My brother had Eddie 1st goal - Carlton win - Eddie 3 goals total at odds of $151.
He wishes Eddie was a bit more serious with that last shot.

Great performance, well coached as well. Murphy out of the center and on the outside was a great move. Martin into the center he was great.

Betts - Great, did it all, awesome game, tackling, smothering, pressure and setting up/kicking goals.
Casboult - Dominated.
Cripps - Very good as usual.
Cuningham - not many opportunities but he played his part. Probably would have liked to have impacted a little more but he was solid.
Curnow - Back to tagging and that is the only way it should be, he was fair, didn't star but did a job.
Docherty - Played well, can get better, but played very well.
Gibbons - Plays well when around the midfield and is good around the stoppages. I think he should be in the middle but is playing that extra midfielder role off a flank alright. Put him in the center coach.
Jones - Pretty good game, I think he can be better but he was good.
Martin - BOG for mine, went into the middle and plays with such good physicality and intensity, he gave us exactly what we desperately needed. Just need another one of him to play forward. Got to balls and contests a lot of our blokes give up on and he hits bodies. Intensity and toughness.
McGovern - Had some great moments but I still feel he can be better. Reckon his running patterns don't always put him in a prime position but I did like his game.
McKay - Pretty good, needs to kick them.
Murphy - Better on the outside, never ever on the inside he's done there but he can still play a flank as an extra mid or a wing.
Newnes - Not a great day for wingers but he did ok. Was physical when he had to be. I am still yet to be convinced he is best 22 but I think we need more time on that one.
SPS - Did well without staring, good solid game.
Pittonett - great game, he can play and he did some nice things in the air. I think our midfielders like him, he seems to compete very well. Can actually play and gets involved in general play.
Plowman - Did fairly well, gets the job on the mid sized medium forwards. Was beaten at times but also did some nice things under pressure. Not a star but a solid player.
Setterfield - ok game, a lot better but didn't tear it up. Hard with shorter games being a change mid. He did show more physicality and intensity at times but he's just not a strong body. My concern with him is he's a bit of an inbetweener. Built light and wirey but he lacks the pace and burst to be a good outside player and he lacks the size and strength to be a real combative player in the contests.
Silvagni - Solid but rusty. Didn't do heaps but probably didn't have to.
Simpson - Played pretty well and I even saw him up on a wing for old time sake which means he must be going well.
Walsh - Again a quiet day for wingmen, perhaps not the ground or the game for them. He's only going moderately at the moment but he played ok.
Weitering - He was really good, defended and intercepted. I like seeing him be physical and hit contests hard, for me that is his guage as to how well he is playing.
Williamson - Did some poor things and some good things but his game was solid, good seeing him back in there. I like him as a player.

Both would have had legs like lead.

Cuningham - not many opportunities but he played his part. Probably would have liked to have impacted a little more but he was solid.
I really feel like Cuningham is building. He does a little bit more each week imo, will break out any game now I feel.
Curnow - Back to tagging and that is the only way it should be, he was fair, didn't star but did a job.
He took Selwood out of the game. Exceptional job. He starred, just in a shut down role. Taggers don't get the credit they deserve imo.
Plowman - Did fairly well, gets the job on the mid sized medium forwards. Was beaten at times but also did some nice things under pressure. Not a star but a solid player.
If the game ended at 3qtr time I'd have said he had a good game. He was jut flat out awful in the last, he completely lost his mind. Not a good sign and it's happened before for him. Needs to lift in crunch times, the last thing you want is a defender that can't handle the pressure late in games and it feels to me like it's becoming a theme with him.
Walsh - Again a quiet day for wingmen, perhaps not the ground or the game for them. He's only going moderately at the moment but he played ok.
I don't think he suits the wing. He's a midfielder through and through, on paper he suits the wing but on the field he's way more comfortable around the ball. Kardinia obviously doesn't help with the small wings, but in general I don't feel it's his go.

Last edited:
Just burns the ball too much for my liking. Too many indiscriminate kicks. Can't question his heart and ferocity though. Still have him as a depth player.
He's much more intrinsic to this current midfield as he adds hardness/tackling and ability to spread and find his own ball....I disagree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was a great win.

I wanted to post my thoughts after watching the replay. I have gone through the first 3/4 and will save the 4th for another time.

Do not underestimate how good a win this was. Geelong are a good side who are great at home - they don't lose often down there. Getting the 4 points at GMHBA is not an easy task for any visiting side, and I am rapt we managed to do it.

Some thoughts:

- First half was sensational, arguably the best football we have played in a long time
- Needed a good start, got a great start - goal inside the first minute
- Short kicks around the boundary - low risk, if we don't maintain possession, we have the aerial threats to force the ball out of bounds
- Inside 50 was a different story. Bombed it long and wide consistently - a clear plan to gain territory and either cause chaos or reset. Almost every single time.
- We are a completely different side when Doc takes the kick outs. He's outstanding and can hit a target 50m away. Very few, if any, short chips.

Interesting stats:

- 24 inside 50s, 14 scoring shots
- 8 marks inside 50

Q1 CBAs
Pittonet: 6
Casboult: 1

Cripps, Curnow: 7
Martin: 6
Setterfield: 1

Q2 CBAs
Pittonet: 7

Cripps, Curnow: 8
Martin: 6
Setterfield: 2

Second half was a very different story. On the night I thought our 3rd quarter was outstanding, not convinced though upon review. We simply came out a completely different side. What we did so well in that first half was left behind. No short kicks, and no maintaining possession.

Unsure why there was a change - was it forced by the Cats? Was it a directive from the coaching staff? It's not clear to me though I'd certainly like to think it wasn't the latter.

Geelong were clearly the better side in the 3rd term, but they weren't able to make it count on the scoreboard which probably flattered us a bit at the last break. Thank you Esava.

What I did like in that third quarter is that we stayed resolute and didn't collapse under pressure, particularly late. The last 2 mins or so were a full on onslaught from the Cats but we didn't let up - whereas so often in the past we would have conceded a late goal. Had we done that on Saturday night, we may well have lost. That was really big.

Q3 CBAs
Pittonet: 5

Cripps: 5
Curnow: 5
Martin: 4
Cuningham: 2
Setterfield: 1
Murphy: 1

Best through 3 quarters - Cripps, Pittonet, Martin, Weitering, Betts

4th quarter review to come at some stage, though I've only just recovered from the heart attack it gave me and I'm not sure I want to put myself through it again!

I feel we are not far away from being a seriously good side. We have shown that our best footy can cause major issues for even the best sides in the competition. We are not there yet, and there will be hiccups along the way, but there is plenty to love about what we are doing and where we are heading.

Good observations. I feel getting it on the scoreboard definitely helped. We had a few good starts last year but struggled to show it on the scoreboard. Eddie was really beneficial in that aspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back