Preview Rd 3 Sydney v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Johnny Rantall Cup

Look, I just do not like North Melbourne. They are largely ignored by most AFL fans and are fodder for a move to Tassy. Arguably the old VFL erred in admitting them in the first place. Their history is one of being uncompetitive.

Like many they had a burst of relevance when the 10 Year Rule was instituted back in the 70s and they had bags of cash (from what source remains unclear). They picked up Barry Davis and Doug Wade and sadly for South - John Rantall. He was a brilliant player for us. He made the Vic team in his Rookie year as an outstanding half back and never let us down.

As usual South was broke and could not match the offer. Johnny went to North where he played a lot in the Centre. Once Norf won a Premiership, he hotfooted it back to the Bloods.

Norf never liked us much and their rotten Alan Aylett played a key role in exiling us to Sydney. Later when we were broke and unsupported by the powers that be, we sold Carey and Horse to Norf for a pack of Colvan Chips. Later Carey played a key role in their defeat of us in the 1996 Grannie.

This century has been different. Sydney has gone from strength to strength. North has largely mouldered, making a few finals but being easily despatched. Relative to other Clubs, including ours, their membership numbers have languished. Relevance and viability are constant issues for them. Frankly my dears, I don't give a damn.

The Match

Ok - on to the match. We are 1 from 2 and they are undefeated. I suspect one of our favourite sons has helped them as a coach. As for us, I reckon we tossed the game away yesterday.

Selection issues will be influenced by injuries (hopefully we got through ok) and form. Doubt Naismith will play and unfortunately Goldstein is in good form. It will be a big match for Sinkers. If he can partially negate Goldy that will be a win for us.

I thought we went too tall and slow in defence yesterday and were found out. I would like to see Dawson moved forward. Speaking of forwards, our entries were often too high yesterday and Heeney and Haywood flew against each in packs too often.

Our mids would benefit from a bit of pace. Florent showed the value of a good turn of foot.

Maybe Stephens will get a go this week. Barring injury I do not see too many changes. Hewett, Gray and Rowbottom failed to impress yesterday but all have a case to be given another go.

Verdict

Bloods to get up in a close one on the back of better transitions forward.

We will be absolutely murdered in the mids.

I want to see Brand on Brown but I suspect it'll be Aliir

Unless one of the 3 talls come back I can't see many changes but would love to see Stephens come in for maybe Taylor or Gray.

The whole forward line need a kick up the ass this week. Can't kick goal of the year or take mark of the year every year. Do the basics and look for better options than a 2-1 Paply

Can't see us winning this one

I can't believe I'm saying it but I think North could be a genuine contender this year. They're tough as guts under Shaw and I doubt that's going to change. They're not the most talented list but you can overcome a talent deficit by being relentless and industrious as they are. And they've got a bunch of good players in their prime all over the field with some talented young players.

I can't believe I'm saying it but I think North could be a genuine contender this year. They're tough as guts under Shaw and I doubt that's going to change. They're not the most talented list but you can overcome a talent deficit by being relentless and industrious as they are. And they've got a bunch of good players in their prime all over the field with some talented young players.

They would need a lot of luck to be a genuine contender. Lets see how they are going n 6-8 weeks. Their list is promising though and have a good coach.

They would need a lot of luck to be a genuine contender. Lets see how they are going n 6-8 weeks. Their list is promising though and have a good coach.

Should've been specific, I see them as a top-4 contender. Flag is unlikely, but they look dependable to me.

Should've been specific, I see them as a top-4 contender. Flag is unlikely, but they look dependable to me.

Top 8 would be about right even then I would feel they are more likely to be in the 7-12 range

I'd like to see Ronke back in the team. The forward line lacks pace and chase to keep the ball in. It just kept coming out of Defence way too easily. He had highest tackles I50 in r1 I believe. Blakey goes out

If Naismith isn't right, then no other changes

I'd like to see Ronke back in the team. The forward line lacks pace and chase to keep the ball in. It just kept coming out of Defence way too easily. He had highest tackles I50 in r1 I believe. Blakey goes out

Dropping Blakely in a developing year is more than silly. We need to get games into him. Wouldn’t be against Ronke playing anyway.

Stephens in next game though

Thought Blakey was serviceable and must retain his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hayward and Sam Gray out

Sinclair to play as a Full Forward if Naismith is fit given we will persist in bombing long. Sinclair will at least contest.

Hoping if we pick Gould it can release Dawson up to a wing so we can use him as the man we use out of defence that is kicking inside 50.

B COR Brand Rampe
HB Lloyd Aliir Mills
C Cunningham Florent Dawson
HF Blakey McCartin Taylor
F Papley Sinclair Heeney
R Naismith JPK Parker
INT Rowbottom Hewett McInerney Gould

IN: Naismith, Gould
OUT: Hayward, Gray

North will go in as warm favourites after yesterday’s performance. However, even on a bad day the Swans showed great spirit for a young team to fight out the game. Something that is overlooked at times but when you look at the Bulldogs and Crows performances it highlights the Swans still have a crack. An intangible that can’t be drafted.

No Naismith hurts but Sinclair should be better after his first full Senior AFL game in just over year.

Forwards need to take a mark. None in the first half and only four for the game inside 50 makes it hard to put up a winning score.

Haywood still has the yips from set shots. Thought he was poor to be honest.

He's lazy. I've given him a little bit of leeway (probably more than I should have) but enough is enough. He is going nowhere getting a goal and under 10 possessions a game...a first year player could do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back