Preview Rd 3 Sydney v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep agree , but when you think about it as a concept its kind of stupid. Especially for an ordinary side, may as well see who can play

we know what fox is

IMO if we were a defender short we should've gone for someone in the middle, like a Melican. Average enough that he's not best 22 but still younger than Fox so worth seeing how he's going.

I'm not actually attacking you & your thoughts on Reid on this ocassion.
I just think that if another year passes where both Reid & Buddy make no contribution onfield, then in my opinion, it will swing both decisions to sign both players towards a fail.

i didn't think you were attacking anyone, just wonder why you always pair them thats all.

i agree with your conclusion on both

IMO if we were a defender short we should've gone for someone in the middle, like a Melican. Average enough that he's not best 22 but still younger than Fox so worth seeing how he's going.

agree with that, if melican isnt going to play in this circumstance whys he on the list?

also mclean should be in

fine don't throw rookies in yet, but some odd decisions at times with others

champion data impact had Sinclair top 2 on the ground last week, now champion data yeah whatever, but he didnt play poorly.

But his impact as a ruck v goldstein is going to be tough, he will try his guts out and possibly impact around the ground, but clearances will be an issue

we need a marking forward, in the current side sinclair is probably our best bet too, juet hoped we would lighten sinclairs ruck load this week unless mclean is injured? or yeah bring melican in to free aliir up or whatever

right now this 22 there are a few i think we know arent afl standard so why bother

What is this absolute necessity to get these draftees into the side? If the three from last year are doing a decent enough job, why interrupt their form based on a schedule you speak of?
I'm more than happy for them to not have a game which was the point of my initial post . Just a suggestion to appease the crowd

I think Brand looks bigger than Marsh and Thurlow. He seems tall lanky with long arms. So could be a better match up for some of the bigger forwards than Marsh/Thurlow.

I don't know much about him. But I think when he signed Hawthorn fans were saying his occasional issues were his decision making and giving away free kicks. I was hoping that would get mitigated playing next to Rampe or in a different defensive unit.

List sizes are reputably going to be cut to 40 next year. Fox will likely be in that group.

He should not be it as cut and dry is that. Having said that knowing the acceptance of where we are at the moment and where we are heading from those responsible nothing would surprise. I will guarantee you we will be no better than we are now in 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

having
He should not be it as cut and dry is that. Having said that knowing the acceptance of where we are at the moment and where we are heading from those responsible nothing would surprise. I will guarantee you we will be no better than we are now in 3 years.
someone in our list at 27+ as depth is questionable when we are developing. I get we need experience around a young group to guide the way but, i think in the best 22 we have at the moment, fox will not make much difference. Blooding a new guy or giving another guy with limited games and potential is better time spent.

Given this season is basically 18 practice games, we should be a little more daring in our selections and take the educational opportunities that the season is providing. Never before was winning meant so little, so take advantage of that. Gould > Fox imo. We know what Fox brings, would be an ideal time to see what Gould has to offer rather than do what we normally do and dont play anyone then just cut them. I think we have a few injuries which is restricting our selection ability, however, we can be ruthless to non performers and make people earn their position, I mean there is not much glory on offer this season, why can't we take advantage of that and use the year to really consolidate the list.

Well said. Cartoon premiership anyway. No team wants to be ‘pulling the train without lube’...( getting ‘punked’).....but a few guys have worn out their welcome...we need some energy.

Last edited:
Well Expecting Shaw’s team to generate Some solid assessment material for these swans....the Hayward, heeney, Hewett, Types Well Under the litmus Test this week - ABD - Acid Base Detection

Hahahaha, sorry about your lunch.
He's an afl player, he can kick, just not good kicks. If he just improves his decision making he basically become an unnoticeable cog, which is really nice to have on a big tank.
But hey, I'm not here to ruin dinner as well.
I like what Clarke did to our team last year - got us a bit of run, and link up play through the mids.
He's not worse at kicking than Florent, and everyone loves to ride his johnson.

Anyways they went for the other "cog" in the team type in Fox. Also a bit of run and carry, just not sure how that leaves the backs after taking Brand out but anyways...
Fox is another that can take a grab in the forward line. He'd of been a good in up front maybe.
Expecting a few unhappy campers at his selection though.

The acceptance of where we are?

We are 10th on the ladder with 1 narrow win against a pretty ordinary team and a narrow loss to the 8th placed team last year.

2012 to 2017 we netted 1 flag (in my opinion should have done better), we've been rebuilding since, and in time we will hopefully see the benefits of putting a lot of games into the younger players whilst also trying to win games and not just let losing become acceptable like other clubs.

People like yourself need to accept that it takes time to get things right and build a team capable of challenging for a flag, it's not going to happen overnight.

Take a look at our 2005 premiership team as an example, how bad did we look in 2002? We'd missed finals in 2000 and an elimination finals loss in 2001. Would you or anyone for that matter think we'd win a flag 3 years later? Yet (I could be wrong here) every player that was in that premiership team was on the list in 2002 except for Dempster, Jolly, Davis and Craig Bolton.

The acceptance of where we are?

We are 10th on the ladder with 1 narrow win against a pretty ordinary team and a narrow loss to the 8th placed team last year.

2012 to 2017 we netted 1 flag (in my opinion should have done better), we've been rebuilding since, and in time we will hopefully see the benefits of putting a lot of games into the younger players whilst also trying to win games and not just let losing become acceptable like other clubs.

People like yourself need to accept that it takes time to get things right and build a team capable of challenging for a flag, it's not going to happen overnight.

Take a look at our 2005 premiership team as an example, how bad did we look in 2002? We'd missed finals in 2000 and an elimination finals loss in 2001. Would you or anyone for that matter think we'd win a flag 3 years later? Yet (I could be wrong here) every player that was in that premiership team was on the list in 2002 except for Dempster, Jolly, Davis and Craig Bolton.

This.

We have to hope that one day it will just click.

I imagine the job that the powers that be at the club have is to determine when the acceptable deadline for that 'clicking' is. Rush it and we could ruin a potentially good thing. Wait too long and we could end up wasting a decade.

I've said all along that now that we've invested so heavily in drafting this young talent onto the list, we need to give them time and see how they go. Try and get a clearer idea of what our best 22 will look like in the future.

Once we're done that process, we should know who will be part of our future, and who won't be. The added bonus of this patient process is that it means we will know exactly what holes will need to be filled in our list, and can try and trade accordingly to compliment the group we'd already have.

That method of biding time, planning, and then striking worked for Richmond, and we are in a similar state list-wise they were in.

In Horse's defence, I think he can see that the strengths of this team are it's ground ball abilities and it's speed. We may not be the cleanest, or the hardest, but he clearly wants us to be dangerous at ground level and use our zip to attack. This was clear in round 1 when he brought in McInerney instead of a second ruck to support Naismith in his first game back.

Is he going about it the wrong way? Probably. I still think we need an extra tall both inside 50 and down back for stability more than anything. But I do get his logic.

Give me a spell ! Please ! He shouldn't even be top 40. Better off playing short.
Did Robbie steal your girl?
He does ok when selected. Has a bit of run, can take a mark, enough speed to add something. He's not winning a Brownlow but he's solid. Reckon he'll go better than a few players last week and still get dropped.

We need another tall because Mccartin gets ganged up and Tarrant will have his measure plus Blakey doesn’t make a contest in the air

Watch last week , we need to make a contest in the front half

Hayward and Blakey should of been dropped

Yeah, great thinking. We have trouble scoring as it is and you want to drop 2 of our forwards?!

If Stephens, Gould or Warner were not banging the door down with their form and you gave them a debut you would see the impact, and it would not be good. McInerney was miles off the level he needed to be at when he debuted, and while it was probably a frustrating 2019 for him having debuted then spending all year in the NEAFL, that patience we showed with him now seems to be paying off.

Patience? I think you're posting this on the wrong board... none of that around here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back